Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Air Mobile

2005 25' International CCD
Newport News , Virginia
Jack & Lug nut wrench

I guess I am extremely lucky; we had a tire blowout on our first trip this spring and a Virginia Dept of Transportation (VDOT) Employee happened by almost immediately and changed our tire; he had the jack and lug nut remover (wrench). I had never even checked the spare, wasn't even sure we had one (dumb, i know, bit that's in the past). Well, we're safely home now and i am looking on this excellent site to figure out what tires to get to replace all five to increase our chances of making the next trip without this type of adventure repeated. Trying to not be so dumb for next time i just spent a few minutes looking over the 25' AS Intl we own and have a few questions after not finding the answer in the owners manual or my look-see.

1) Is there a jack and lug nut removal wrench hidden somewhere on the trailer I can't find? I would have assumed it would be tied in somewhere near the spare, but it's not there and I can find no mention in owners manual.

2) I see where the label under the trailer says jack and has an arrow pointing in, but I don't see where they mean to place the jack. The VDOT guy put his jack on the main steel frame, but the jack sticker with arrow just points to covered belly and not sure where the proper place to put the jack is. There is a 2.5" x 2.5" piece of metal rivted to the belly cover, in the general area where the jack arrow points, is that the proper place to put the jack.

3) Finally, reading this board makes it seem like folks have regular blowouts all the time. If that's the case what the heck do you guys do for a jack and lug nut remover. I feel blessed for the VDOT help this last time, and take my word for it from someone who commutes over the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel everyday for work, i never thought I'd be saying that particular sentiment about VDOT or its employees.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded. I would say any thoughts guys, but my limited experience on this board assures my I will hear some great stuff. And for that, thanks in advance.
Tim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

New Airstreams don't usually come with a jack and lug wrench. We have had a number of tire catastrophes on our 25FB that we have changed ourselves. We don't carry a jack and just used our leggo leveling blocks to get the flat tire off of thew ground. We use our torque wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Then we use our drill/driver to finish up.

You really need to have a torque wrench with you at all times so that you can check the tightness of the the lug nut on a regular basis.

Here are a couple of photos of one of our Lucy tire adventures. You will notice that SuEllyn handles the actual changing of the tire. I oversee the operation and take photographs.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3318.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	126617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3317.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	126618  

Name:	DSCN3319.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	126619  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Air Mobile

Newport News , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
New Airstreams don't usually come with a jack and lug wrench. We have had a number of tire catastrophes on our 25FB that we have changed ourselves. We don't carry a jack and just used our leggo leveling blocks to get the flat tire off of thew ground. We use our torque wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Then we use our drill/driver to finish up.

You really need to have a torque wrench with you at all times so that you can check the tightness of the the lug nut on a regular basis.

Here are a couple of photos of one of our Lucy tire adventures. You will notice that SuEllyn handles the actual changing of the tire. I oversee the operation and take photographs.

Brian
Thanks Brian, I have a SuEllyn, though her name's Beverly... > BTW: What tires are you running on your AS?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsupler View Post
I guess I am extremely lucky; we had a tire blowout on our first trip this spring and a Virginia Dept of Transportation (VDOT) Employee happened by almost immediately and changed our tire; he had the jack and lug nut remover (wrench). I had never even checked the spare, wasn't even sure we had one (dumb, i know, bit that's in the past). Well, we're safely home now and i am looking on this excellent site to figure out what tires to get to replace all five to increase our chances of making the next trip without this type of adventure repeated. Trying to not be so dumb for next time i just spent a few minutes looking over the 25' AS Intl we own and have a few questions after not finding the answer in the owners manual or my look-see.
I carry multiple tools to change tires, mainly because I keep finding better ways: A 4-way speed wrench (be sure the walls of the wrench sockets are thin); A battery-powered drill with a 13/16" socket - even faster than the speed wrench after the nuts have been broken loose; a torque wrench.

If I am hitched, I don't use a jack; if you pull your good wheel up on some blocks you can change the tire like that.

Quote:
1) Is there a jack and lug nut removal wrench hidden somewhere on the trailer I can't find? I would have assumed it would be tied in somewhere near the spare, but it's not there and I can find no mention in owners manual.

2) I see where the label under the trailer says jack and has an arrow pointing in, but I don't see where they mean to place the jack. The VDOT guy put his jack on the main steel frame, but the jack sticker with arrow just points to covered belly and not sure where the proper place to put the jack is. There is a 2.5" x 2.5" piece of metal rivted to the belly cover, in the general area where the jack arrow points, is that the proper place to put the jack.
That piece of metal is the place that is designed for marking where your jack goes.

Quote:
3) Finally, reading this board makes it seem like folks have regular blowouts all the time. If that's the case what the heck do you guys do for a jack and lug nut remover. I feel blessed for the VDOT help this last time, and take my word for it from someone who commutes over the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel everyday for work, i never thought I'd be saying that particular sentiment about VDOT or its employees.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded. I would say any thoughts guys, but my limited experience on this board assures my I will hear some great stuff. And for that, thanks in advance.
By the way - welcome to the Forums. You'll find a lot of good info here.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Thanks Brian, I have a SuEllyn, though her name's Beverly... > BTW: What tires are you running on your AS?

We started off the the OEM GY Marathons. We had 3 blowouts in the first year. We went to Maxxis load range E's. We got 27,000 on these when
they developed serious tread separation. We thought that they did pretty good, so we got another set of the Maxxis. These only got 14,000 miles before tread separation got them. At this point, we had decided that all ST trailer tires are pretty much junk if you want to go far and fast (over 65 mph). In the last 4 1/2 years, Lucy has logged over 70,000 miles, and we have camped in her for over 820 nights.

Lucy in now sporting 16" wheels with Michelin LT truck tires.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A chrome 4 way lug wrench would be a good addition for changing tire. A friend of ours has had very good luck with Michelin LTX tires, in a 235/75R15 LR C configuration. When it's time to replace our 225/15 Marathons, I'll probably go with the LTXs myself.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Air Mobile

Newport News , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A chrome 4 way lug wrench would be a good addition for changing tire. A friend of ours has had very good luck with Michelin LTX tires, in a 235/75R15 LR C configuration. When it's time to replace our 225/15 Marathons, I'll probably go with the LTXs myself.
Do you foresee and problems running the 235/75R15 versus the oem 225/75R15 that come stock on the AS in regards to the size difference?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Do you foresee and problems running the 235/75R15 versus the oem 225/75R15 that come stock on the AS in regards to the size difference?
My friend has a modern (5 year old) Airstream, the same years as yours, and the tires fit in his wheelwells with no trouble. Our Airstream is older, but has replacement axles so that there is more clearance.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
We use our torque wrench to loosen the lug nuts.

Brian
Brian,
That's a no no. It can de-tune the wrench. Resulting in in-accuracy. Use a impact or lug wrench.

I have had to change two tires due to punctures. I backed the good tire up on leveling blocks.

I am on my forth set of Marathons. I keep the pressure up and the speed down. This keeps them from overheating. A tires biggest problem after a defect.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The trailers do not come from the factory with a lug wrench. I carry a breaker bar, extension, and socket. It is the same breaker bar I use for the overcenter latches on my hitch, and the hitch and lug nut sockets are the only ones I carry. I also carry a hydraulic jack although that may not be strictly necessary since as others have noted the independent axles allow you to pull up onto a block.

Some people have had bad luck with tires and I think that there were in fact some problems with Goodyear Marathons manufactured in certain date ranges. Trailer tires have a hard life, on an Airstream they are pretty much always running close to maximum weight which isn't the way it happens on a car or pickup.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, as you now know, Airstream trailers do not come with a lug wrench or jack. [not all Airstreams even come with a spare tire, mine was optional] I carry a torque wrench, a bottle jack, a breaker bar, two thin wall deep impact sockets, [3/4"-19mm & 13/16"-21mm] one 6" by 1/2" extension, and a four way cross bar lug wrench. I recently bought some leveling blocks and a Trailer Aide Plus; I have not used these yet and I have never had a flat. Good to carry these items even if you only use them to help out a fellow camper.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I always carry a 4 way and use the blocks. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
We have had a good number of "blow outs", and tred separations. I carry a 4 way lug wrench, a 12 ton bottle nose jack and the blocks. My lugs have chrome covers and need a 6 point wrench. A 12 point will slip. I also carry a torque wrench. The aluminum wheels on my unit need to be toqued to 85 ft lbs, over torqueing will cause studs to break off. "Been there, did that".
My tire issues became so frequent that we got a Pressure Pro to monitor the tire pressures while on the move. Has paid for its self, alerted us twice to flats prior to any damage.
All of this works for me.

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Quote:

Brian
Brian, Where do I get those lego leveling blocks?
john
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The orange ones (lynx) are available here:
Tri Lynx Levelers

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
I picked up an 18v Pep Boys impact gun, extra battery and I can change a flat just like a Nascar pit man. I double check with a torque wrench when I tighten the nuts on the lugs. The impact gun was on sale for 79.00

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah, I checked our truck's jack and lug wrench. The wrench fits the Airstream as well, and the jack will lift it easily. The jack is a bit short, but we carry the orange things anyway to level the rig, so no need to add anything to what we're already carrying.

More recent Airstreams are a lot heavier than vintage, so it might be important to check the jack in the tow vehicle to make sure it can lift that much weight.

Lynn
Old 07-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #18

2005 30' Safari
Dallas , Texas
Lug nut question?

Does anyone know what type of socket is required to remove this lug nut?
Thanks.

Airstream Lug Nut.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Lug Nut.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	135602  
willphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A chrome 4 way lug wrench would be a good addition for changing tire.
I use a 4-way lug wrench and I put the pipe that is used to flip up the chains on my hitch on the leg with the chisel end for extra leverage. That makes it easy to break the lug nuts loose initially. A socket on my drill makes short work of removing and reinstalling the lug nuts from there.

You should never use a torque wrench as a wrench to initially loosen the lug nuts. That is abuse of a tool. A breaker bar doesn't cost much if you don't want to carry a 4-way lug wrench.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have sometimes found (with various different vehicles) that lug nuts can at times be quite tough to remove with as standard cross type lug nut wrench, so I carry a 3/4" x 36 "breaker bar" to be sure I will be able to get the things off! Once loose, I use the same 18v drill that I use for my stabilizers and Hensley Jack screws to spin them off/on quickly.

I use the Lynx leveller blocks as others have mentioned - much easier than messing around with bottle jacks IMHO.

I also carry a torque wrench to re-install the nuts and I re-check them again after 50 miles or so of travel.

Brian.

PS you can usually get the Lynx lavellers at Wally World for way less than that well known camping store!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote