Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Cape May County , New Jersey
Internal v. External TPMS

Called my dealer and asked about installing a TPMS.

I was told they remove the wheel, install a sensor on the inside of the tire rim, and put on a stem valve cap sensor. Cost is $557 for the TST system, excluding any metal valve stems I might need.

I thought I could just buy the TST system for about $400, put on the caps sensor, program the unit, and off I go.

Are the internal sensors necessary?

I’ve read most all of the info on boards, and it seems as if the caps sensors will do the job.

Am I missing something?
huck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have the TST cap sensors. I love them.
Removing them with the tool is a minor pain, but remember, you don't check the tire pressure very often any more. Turn on the monitor, wait a couple minutes and all the tires report in.
I used to think the TPMS is for the paranoid bunch, but I now think it's for the terminally lazy. Easy-Peasy.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Missing something ?

Internal temp comes to mind but I don’t know what the externals can do.

My internal reports PSI and temp.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
So does the external. I have tried to stay away as I am not an authority on this, but as I see it, the advantages of the external are that you can easily replace the batteries, and will need to. The big disadvantage of the external is damage to the valve stem if you do not install metal stems. I know someone who just lost tire pressure because of that. The internal requires no attention until the battery/unit needs to be replaced which used to be about 7 years, then it is expensive.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I have externals because I already had a set that I had purchased for another trailer. I would rather have internals for the simple fact that there is no need to hold the tire air valve open. That said, the externals have been around for long enough that that now seems like a misplaced concern. I have a TireMinder system with transmitters that are very light (I don't use the locks to keep the weight down) and am not that concerned about the valve stems because I know a number of people who use this system without having stem problems. It is working well enough that when I change tires, I will likely stay with the externals but will probably change to the metal stems. The system I have is supposed to only be good to 70psi, but it is working fine at 80psi.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote