Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2003 19' Bambi
Gladewater , Texas
If not GYEndurance or Michelin LTX what next ???

I know this is an old tired subject, and I was just about to get rid of GYMarathons when this bad stuff comes out about Goodyear (I know they are not trailer tires),but anytime a large co. does not take care of a major problem I get worried about ALL their products. If I cannot get Discount Tire to put on LTX (because they are worried about liability), since they are not specific ST trailer tires, what is my next best choice ??? I'm pretty confused now !!! thanks for input on an old BUT, still very important subject,,,,and yes, I ck pressure regularly and have a TPMS also. I have been Airstreaming for 20+ years and am on 3rd trailer and have been very lucky (I guess) to have never had a flat/blowout,,,,fingers crossed !!!
drumdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Discount Tire sold me LTX MS/2 tires for my TradeWind several years ago. I brought the wheels in 2 at a time and there was no problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Have them mount, balance etc. You can then install yourself or take to another shop for instal.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you took the 16" wheels in loose, and tell them they are for a Chevy pickup, they should mount the tires. The bolt pattern is the same as some of them.
Not, of course, that I'd ever suggest you lie to anyone to get around a company policy...
Old 04-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Hercules

Well, I had a set of Hercules trailer tires on my some other brand travel trailer. I have them now on my motorcycle/furniture hauler enclosed trailer. They balance up easy, I always planned on putting them on the AS.
A friend of mine has a set on his horse trailer, one of those nice horse trailers with AC for the horses
He gets good miles out of them, up and down Interstate 81 to horse shows and such.

That's why I tried them on my previous travel trailer. The ones I have currently on the Motorcycle trailer have no dry rot and are coming up on 4 years old. I don't cover them. I don't overload them either.
Search around on the information superhighway, there isn't much bad being said about them.
I do remember my father buying Hercules and Armstrong tires when both were made in the USA.
Have a good one
Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I’m very happy with my Maxxis tires.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdoc View Post
I know this is an old tired subject, and I was just about to get rid of GYMarathons when this bad stuff comes out about Goodyear (I know they are not trailer tires),but anytime a large co. does not take care of a major problem I get worried about ALL their products. If I cannot get Discount Tire to put on LTX (because they are worried about liability), since they are not specific ST trailer tires, what is my next best choice ??? I'm pretty confused now !!! thanks for input on an old BUT, still very important subject,,,,and yes, I ck pressure regularly and have a TPMS also. I have been Airstreaming for 20+ years and am on 3rd trailer and have been very lucky (I guess) to have never had a flat/blowout,,,,fingers crossed !!!
We installed Maxxis tires . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond , Oregon
After the last tire thread, I called Les Schwab Tire, a western US tire dealer. Ask about highway truck tire versus trailer ST tires. He recommended the ST tires as they are designed to carry trailer weight. HT tires are designed to drive a vehicle. The load rating were higher for the ST tires as well. I don't think a tire dealer would risk their reputation putting an improper tire on any vehicle - liability or not.
davet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
If not Goodyear Whatever or Michelin LTX, then Michelin XPS Ribs.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Discount Tires installed my LTX tires no questions asked.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
discount tires ordered the wheels and tires then mounted and installed mine
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Like some others in this thread, I currently and previously have run Maxxis M8008's with no problems (knock wood LOL). When I ordered my most recent set last year, I purchased them from Amazon which worked out well. I think in the past I have bought them from either the Tire Rack or Discount Tire via "mail order". When it's time for new ones, I take them off and over to Costco and they mount and balance them for me. Of course, I could drag the trailer over to a tire shop and they would do it too, but I don't trust them to jack it up properly.

Discount Tire Direct - Maxxis M8008
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
....never had a problem with gym’s....always pulled them early..... I like michelin, cost per mile is less....you always get what you pay for, there aren’t any bargains out there......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Gainesville , Georgia
Red face Discount Tires

Discount tires ordered my 5 wheels and 5 Michelin’s. Had one employee say no but asked to talk to Manager and he had them in a week.
svoboda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Am happy with my Maxxis trailer tires, big warranty and I'm going on 7 years with mine
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Ditto

Maxxis, going on 6yrs no problems yet.
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
Maxxis, going on 6yrs no problems yet.
I'm on my third set of Maxxis from Discount Tire. First set had a little problem with two tires and tread separation, but caught it in time with TPMS. I change my tires out at 3 years while there is still good tread and rotate them into being spares (I carry two mounted spares). My only problem with Discount Tire this time is that they didn't balance my last set even though I paid for it because they were trailer tires and who balances trailer tires? Well, actually I do, and then use Centramatics as well. The young men were the age of my grandchildren--what did they know about trailering? So I had to take the tires back and make them balance the tires, and got them home only to discover that despite my instructions, they didn't inflate the tires to 80 psi, they inflated them to 35 psi "because they were trailer tires."

Discount Tire and many outlets hire young people who move on fast and don't learn much in the process. I probably have bought my last tires from Discount Tire and will order on-line and then pay my local mechanic to mount, balance and inflate the tires properly. Fortunately for me I have an air compressor at home, but dealing with idiots is really tiring.

(p.s. I carry two mounted spares because I once drove over a railroad crossing and punctured both curb side tires on my trailer at South Pass, WY, a very long way to drive on a three wheeled trailer.)

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Worse, dealing with idiots that don’t listen to what you are telling them to do is more that tiring....it’s only going to happen once. I have a growing list of places that won’t get another chance to earn my money....rather than just try to take it.

As the old saying goes,”fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!” They don’t get a second chance if I have any control over the situation.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Cooper Hercules presently, no probs, previously Maxxis, also no probs.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Worse, dealing with idiots that don’t listen to what you are telling them to do is more that tiring....it’s only going to happen once. I have a growing list of places that won’t get another chance to earn my money....rather than just try to take it.

As the old saying goes,”fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!” They don’t get a second chance if I have any control over the situation.
I whole heartedly agree with you!

The problem we face is a litigious society. The tire stores can not mount tires for a trailer unless they are ST for legal reasons. Of which I think is BS but, it is apparently an issue we can not over look unfortunately.

I bought my tires (Michelin LTX w/16" Sendels) had them mounted/balanced then had another place install. No issues...
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote