Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
I have a 1965 Caravel and if I have a flat tire

can I use my T.V. jack, and where is the best place to place the jack on the Caravel........
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Plano , Texas
Place jack on the axle.
Zed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Place the jack on the frame where the axel and frame meet. There is a length of frame thet the axle bolts too, place it there. DO NOT place the jack mid span or anywhere else on the axel tube. You want to jack the frame up and lift the axle. DO NOT put the jack on the frame away from the axle, this puts too much weight on the frame and can damage the frame.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Place the jack on the frame where the axel and frame meet. There is a length of frame thet the axle bolts too, place it there. DO NOT place the jack mid span or anywhere else on the axel tube. You want to jack the frame up and lift the axle. DO NOT put the jack on the frame away from the axle, this puts too much weight on the frame and can damage the frame.
Can I use the jack from my GM Envoy.........thanks very much
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
I don't see why not. I am not familiar with the head of the jack where it meets the vehicle. I don't know how it will set against the frame of your AS. I can see no reason why not, the weight of your Caravel is much less than your truck so lifting strength should not be an issue. It's the mechanism of the crank and jack placement that you would have to be carefull when jacking. Just have to make sure the jack does not slide off or the trailer moves when in the air. Always have a fixed safety stand and block your tires - if the vehicle is attached lock the emergency brake.

I use a 1.5 ton (way overkill) piston jack from Walmart to jack mine on the road. At home I have a 3 ton floor jack to lift it.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
If the jack you are using has a slotted head to fit in a notch in the body of the TV, that is not the type of jack head that will work well.

The head of your TV jack needs to be flat to work well on the trailer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
ahem, the "official" Caravel jack point is the frame immediately aft of the axle mounting plate. Howerver, many owners have noticed that this bends the frame flange slightly and also mangles the belly skin there. I have always used, as have others, the axle mounting plate just aft of the axle.

Do not put the jack anywhere on the axle tube!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jacking point

NEVER, EVER, place a jack under any torsion axle.

To do so can cause a misalignment.

The best jacking point for a single axle Airstream, is the axle mounting plate, immediately rearward of the axle.

On a tandem or tri-axle Airstream, you really don't need a jack, to change or remove a tire/wheel assembly.

Simply pull a good trailer tire up on some 2 X 6's, until the bad tire is off the ground.

This method is much simpler than using a jack, and, considerably safer.

However, if you have a need to lift one side of the trailer, place the jack on the axle mounting plate between the two tires on a tandem trailer, or between the rear and center tire on a tri-axle trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
I think that's what I have been saying. except I have not used the term "AXLE MOUNTING PLATE". My description of jacking the Caravel at the junction of the axle and the frame IS the axle mounting plate!!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
jack under solid axle

What's the worst that can happen if a "jack"-ass puts a jack under your (single solid) axle (contrary to your express instructions)?

I made him bring it down as soon as I realized what he'd done, but not before the whole trailer made some scary flexing/creaking sounds and a couple of Clecos popped off.

He just couldn't believe that I, a mere woman, knew more about my trailer than he did....
Old 09-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie
What's the worst that can happen if a "jack"-ass puts a jack under your (single solid) axle (contrary to your express instructions)?

I made him bring it down as soon as I realized what he'd done, but not before the whole trailer made some scary flexing/creaking sounds and a couple of Clecos popped off.

He just couldn't believe that I, a mere woman, knew more about my trailer than he did....

Placing a jack under a regular axle, usually causes no harm, since the axle tube is solid steel.

However, placing a jack under any torsion axle is a "no no", since you can damage the hollow tube and/or alter the alignment.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Lynne,

The axle may bend causing it to be out of alignment as Andy suggests above. The creaking noise backs up this point of view. Things were moving. Did they move enough to cause damage to the axle? May be. May be not.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Tags
1965, 1965 caravel, caravel