Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #1

1963 22' Safari
austin , Texas
I can’t fit the tires back on my ‘63 safari

We took the tires off awhile back while we were working on our restoration (shell-on). Well we tried putting them back on today but we can’t even fit the top of the tire inside the wheel well to get it on the center bore (not sure if right term but whatever the tire slips on that also has the nuts and bolts!) The only thing I can imagine is to deflate the tire enough to slip it up under the wheel well and then inflate it again once it’s on. but if we got a flat on the road we wouldn’t have our air compressor so I have to assume there’s a better way…?
ladydomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I would suggest moving to a 7.00x15 LT tires made in the USA from a company call STA out of PA. Tall and thin tires, it's the size that came on the trailer when new.

Good Luck,
Old 01-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
That's a common problem. I'm sure the axle is totally shot. Once the rubber rods rot in the torsion axle, the spindles end up sandwiched all the way up against the frame on their limiters. I'd reach out to Colin Hyde and replace the axle if it's older than 10 years, it's worth the money to have good bearings, and a smooth suspension to protect all that work you're doing, plus you'll get that wheel clearance back you need. You may also be running a wider profile tire than the original bias ply, but a new axle will still allow clearance for that if you're running a 2257515 on there.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote