Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #41
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Replace the spare?

If I haven't rotated the spare in . . . how long should I keep it?

We replaced both our marathons in 2006 (during a trip because of a failure) and bought a new matching spare when we got home (turned out the spare was a different size than our regular wheels).

I'm planning on replacing the tires next summer - that will give them four years - w/approx. 4 trips a year. However, the spare has been stored inside, away from the sun, never used except to ride in the suburban on trips and "looks" to be in pristine condition.

Is the spare "safe" to keep another couple years, or am I asking for trouble?

We have a single axle and I like to travel to remote areas.

Virginia
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Our old 78 has a spare mounted, and surprisingly, it's mounted on an alum wheel that matches the other four...cool!

If buying a new trailer today, I don't think I'd order a spare...if you are running a tandem axle AS, you can actually remove the 'blown' tire and wheel assembly and run on the remaining three wheels (at reduced speed) till you can get to the next place that has replacements...

Now of course, if you run way out in the 'boonies' or have a single axle trailer, a spare would be a great peace of mind opition...
Old 07-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have used the spare only about 10 times in just over 100k miles. None of these tires were over 5 years old. If you only drive close to home that is one thing we just got back from Madison and put about 3,500 miles on that one run.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Three times. The other two times I had tire failure, I was able to limp in to the tire store. Four of the failures were from blowouts, one was from a road hazard.
All my blowouts occured in super hot weather. It is not much fun changing a tire when the weather is 100 degree plus, but it beats the alternative.
I check the air pressure in spare when I check the pressure on the other tires.
I would never go anywhere without a spare. If you have a flat out in the boonies getting back on the road is much easier with a spare.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Stewartstown , Pennsylvania
I just had a flat on the way back from the International. On Rt70 in Ohio. I had just purchased a PressurePro monitoring system and it signaled a low pressure alert in a tire. I kept driving and was able to pull into a service center and change it. My spare was full because I check it before long trips. Yes I have experienced a flat spare with a pickup in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky - Never Again!
frlcad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yea! Another happy Pressure Pro user! Glad it turned out well...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We've used our spare twice in hot weather after our Pressure Pros alerted us to a problem and saved us from any damage to the plumbing or trailer skin.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

I have a single axle Safari and carry a spare. If, or when, I have a flat, most of my day will be ruined, I don't want to mess up the evening drunk.

Fog
Fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
We have used our spare 3 times in the last three years. I have a tube installed in the spare to insure it is inflated when needed, and I check it regularly.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Is there a good reason for not carrying a spare? There is a nice place to put it on my trailer, its out of the way, easy to access when needed, and a nice piece of security when you hit the curb or some foreign object in the roadway that takes out the tires on one side of your rig. Its just too cheap and too convient to think of any other way to travel for me.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Oroville , California
Twice since 2003

We purchased new in 2003. In 2006 at a MD campground, we noticed a bulge in one tire and used the spare to get to our next stop in NJ.

In 2008, at a rest stop in NJ, we discovered a tire had significantly lower pressure than the others. We had picked up a nail and we used the spare to get us to our campground in CT.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I can't imagine not having a spare even with a double axle trailer. It's cheap insurance for tire problems. With the problems with the Marathon tires, not having a spare may mean leaving the trailer somewhere dangerous, and/or a long trip to find a place that can fix a flat or has the right tires.

I gather that in the past (don't know how long ago) spares were not included or were an option. That seems strange to me. Who would drive a car or a truck without a spare? Since I also have a good compressor along, I don't have to make sure how much air is in it until I need it—then I can fill it. Trailer tires seem to lose air faster than other types of tires.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #53
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
My '66 has no provisions for a spare. However I believe my TV spare would bolt in place if I had to go there. The problem with that is my TV spare isn't rated to handle the load my trailer tires are subjected to when towing. So this would be a very temporary solution.

For now I take a trailer spare loose loaded into my TV.

Action
Old 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I have used it once on my TV on a hwy to Mexico. And it came in handy. Zero times on my trailer. Given a spare with good tread and 8 to 10 years old is likely not a good spare any more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I understand your point, but I think my inclination would be not to worry too much about the age of the spare, but if/when I needed to use it, use it only to get me to the nearest place to get the running tire replaced or repaired, the put the spare back as a spare. (Never actually had a flat yet en route.)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
How many times have you used your spare tire?

Twice, the first year I had the unit.
Bought better tires before the start of the next season and havent used one since.
But I did buy five new rims and tires (I am a subscriber to the reserve concept).
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Never
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
My '66 has no provisions for a spare. However I believe my TV spare would bolt in place if I had to go there. The problem with that is my TV spare isn't rated to handle the load my trailer tires are subjected to when towing. So this would be a very temporary solution.

For now I take a trailer spare loose loaded into my TV.
Action
i think you should also consider the load rating of the tow v. spare. now if a trailer wheel would fit the truck, you could use a trailer spare for both!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #58
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The rest of the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I understand your point, but I think my inclination would be not to worry too much about the age of the spare, but if/when I needed to use it, use it only to get me to the nearest place to get the running tire replaced or repaired, the put the spare back as a spare. (Never actually had a flat yet en route.)

Brian.

When I used that spare on my TV (I believe this was in 2003) the spare was used and of an unknown age since it came with the TV when I bought it in 1997. While I had replaced the tires in 1998 I did not replace the spare. (side note, environmental conditions 3rd weekend in May about 10am air temp was over 100 in the Southern AZ desert) The spare on my TV lasted about 60 miles and experienced a rapid depressurazition. Now I am stuck in the Northern Mexican desert with 3 good tires on my TV. Fortunately I was traveling to meet some friends and they were behind me. They took me and my wife to Rocky Point with 2 questionable tires on rims. I bought some used tires had them mounted and my friend drove me back to my stranded combo in about 3 hours and several adult beverages.

It wasn't the best way to start a vacation, however I will never travel with a spare of that age. I looked at the date code on the spare that was on the back of my TV, it was just over 10 years old. The used Mexican tires cost me $15 each mounted and balanced and were just under 3 years old. After that trip I replaced all 5 tires on my TV. The used MX tires were used as spares for the trailer. However I have not towed my bullet since 2007 and I also need axles. However that is a different story.

Action
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #59
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
In ten years of towing an Airstream, I've only experienced one tire that needed attention and was able to get to a repair center without damage to the tire and without needing the spare. We rely upon the Pressure Pro system to alert us to tires which have lost pressure on both the trailer and tow vehicle. It has served us well. Still, I carry one spare factory mounted under the trailer and a second spare in the truck bed under the tonneau cover. We often take extended trips over several months of 5,000 to 10,000 miles in duration and often through very remote areas such as in Southern Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado where repair/replacement could be problematic.
I wouldn't feel comfortable towing without both spares just in case they are needed.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
There are minimum intervals

We're headed out to Pelahatchie, MS shortly for this year's first Airstream outing. For good measure, I decided to check the spare tire's air pressure even though, as a bias-ply tire, it never seems to waver. Oops - bad move; it was down to 23 psig when it was supposed to be 45 psig.

The four, relatively new, radial Marathons which support my Overlander going down the road are expected to lose a few psi every couple of months. The spare tire's pressure surprised me as did the wasp nest when the cover was pulled back. But I don't remember checking its pressure last year. I need to do better.

Don't forget to check your spare tire's pressure at least once a season.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote