Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Northridge , California
How do I prevent tires from deteroriating in sun?

Hello everyone – I have two quick questions. I have a 1977 31’ Excella 500 which unfortunately is out in the sun in S. FL all the time. First question: What is the best product to use on the tires to protect them from rotting? I have looked through the forums and have come up with: motor oil, Black Again for Tires, One Grand Exterior Rubber Treatment, 303 Aerospace Protectant, Turtle wax Tire wax and Glycerin. Does anyone have any experience with these products in hot weather conditions?

Second question. What are people using to cover up their tires and shield them from the sun while in storage? Commercial tire covers? Wood boards? Some kind of UV material?

Thank you very much. A reply to this would be much appreciated.
leong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
There is NO coating that is good for tires. Per the tire manufacturers, all are bad for the UV screeners that they put in the tires. The best thing is plain old soap and water, plus regular exercise (road trips).

Plywood is good as anything for storage.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are a lot of products to make tires shiny black, and they all claim to be good for tires. I think washing the dirt off is a good idea, other than that, it's cosmetic. I use Armor All on rubber and plastic parts on our trucks and sometimes put the same stuff on the tires because they look better (for a week or so).

Tires deteriorate for a couple of reasons—no movement, age and sun are the primary ones. Movement allows the tire to do what it supposed to do and the chemicals to be a normal situation. This is also good for the bearings since over time the grease migrates downward. So, moving the trailer a few feet in either direction from time to time is a good idea. I have so solution for age or I would use it on myself.

Covering them to protect from the sun is simple—anything that will prevent the sun from getting to them. A board, a tire cover, a brick wall, parking so half the tires face north, anything. We bought white tire covers available at any RV store.

I see you have another thread on the A/C. Anything used will wear out someday. A/C is a pretty simple and well tested technology, so they last a long time, especially if you aren't bouncing down the highway. If this is a 32 year old A/C, I suspect it's well into old age and you'll have to replace it soon anyway, so enjoy the cool and save for a new one. Now I must contemplate whether I have hijacked your thread since you asked the question on another one—ethics is such a hard subject.

Welcome to the Forum. This is the place to ask questions and surely you will get many answers and all you have to do is figure out which ones are correct.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The killer on many tire coatings is petroleum additives. That's something that will harm those sidewalls. I use 303 on mine since it contains no petroleum.....but even though that product contains some UV additives, I use it as blackener more than the UV protection. For those purposes I have individual wheel covers which keep the sun off the tires. I used them religiously prior to getting inside storage for the Classic.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
My trailer tires stay covered at all times, except when towing, with the white vinyl/cloth covers which can be purchased at most RV stores. The tires are two years old with approx. 6,000 miles on them and they still look new, with no signs of cracking or drying. They get washed with soap and water.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Given that an RV tire has a life of about 3-4 years, whatever you put on it sparingly will most likely never lead to you seeing the worst case scenario. Most of the liquids you place on tires simply makes them look pretty, other than that, there are minimal protections provided by these coatings IMHO. I know some claim to save or extend, but really in all, most just make it pretty.

That said, I have used these when parked outdoors for extended periods. Is it worth it given the tires need to be replaced every 3-4 years? It's a personal choice IMHO.

RV Tire Cover on sale
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i use these. i was happy with the quality and i think there is a store near you to see them in person.

CLASSIC RV Wheel and Tire Storage Covers | Tire Covers | Northern Tool + Equipment
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Given that an RV tire has a life of about 3-4 years, whatever you put on it sparingly will most likely never lead to you seeing the worst case scenario. Most of the liquids you place on tires simply makes them look pretty, other than that, there are minimal protections provided by these coatings IMHO. I know some claim to save or extend, but really in all, most just make it pretty.

That said, I have used these when parked outdoors for extended periods. Is it worth it given the tires need to be replaced every 3-4 years? It's a personal choice IMHO.

RV Tire Cover on sale
Basicly I agree, but 3-4 years seems a little on the short side. From what I have read 5-6 years is still safe. What do you other folks think?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Our 4 year old Airstream is stored indoors. When we tow, I never exceed 65 MPH and the last couple years my avg. tow speed is probably 62 mph. I use 303 protectant on them after every wash. The tires look very good. I will certainly use them for at least one more year.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I read here from many that about 4 is max, though I went 5 seasons...on Marathons no less.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I'm fully in agreement here. You may observe checking on the sidewall surfaces but this is long after tires are more than 5 years old -- the outside useful, safe life of tires. If you're in a park and never towing it is possible to keep any old set of tires on the trailer.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Basicly I agree, but 3-4 years seems a little on the short side. From what I have read 5-6 years is still safe. What do you other folks think?

Hi, I have only seen this in print once, in my wife's BMW owner's manual, it states to replace all tires between 5 & 7 years of age regardless of wear. I'm going for the 7 years mark unless I see cracks or other proplems.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, from my avatar you can see my trailer tires won't get any direct Sun light. [Trailer faces East] So I don't use covers [I recommend tire covers for exposed tires] and I won't use anything on my tires. Most things people put on their tires make them slippery and is absorbed into the rubber. I have personally seen what happens when you put these type of things on motorcycle tires. A freind of mine many years ago used to Armoral his motorcycle tires; One day, while on the freeway, he upshifted hard and his rear tire slipped on the wheel/rim causing an instant flat tire and a near death experience. I don't need any slippery tires on anything of mine that has wheels.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote