Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
I was told over the phone by the local GY shop that the hybrid (rubberized metal valve stems) are not compatible with externally mounted TPMS. It wasn't like he was trying to sell me something different from his shop. He basically said that fully metal stems would be required and that he was not able to provide them.

What we know is that all stems require some kind of seal. So basically they are all subject to some kind of movement. I was honestly surprised by the comments from the local shop. I'm trying to find something in writting from GY on this question. So far no luck.
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #22
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I can't recall but I believe it was TST who suggested that I use the metal stems that are inserted from inside the wheel and bolted on. I figured why not as long as I was changing them out. Seemed to make sense in any case to avoid any possible centrifugal stress on a rubber base from having that sensor on the end of the stem. The tire shop also agreed once I showed them *why* I needed metal stems. Keep in mind that the flow-through ones are bigger and I imagine heavier than the caps, as well. Probably overkill, esp with Centramatics added, but I had the tires balanced with the sensors mounted as well.

Specs, I upgraded from 14 in to 15 in wheels last year along with GYE, TST Monitor (I chose flow-through as noted earlier) and I added the Centramatics. Get a great ride, not sure if in spite of or because of the Centramatics, but intuitively I figured it had to help and surely would not hurt.

Next up is a lift kit and I'm done down there.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Glad to hear of your good results with the Centramatics. I'm glad I decided to bite the bullet. I was on the fence.

With regard to valve stems it says right on the TST site for the 507 cap sensors, "For use on metal valve stems only."

I haven't felt the need for a "lift" yet, but a lot of people suggest it helps, especially on longer AS units.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
I never use rubber valve stems anymore. Had two of them fail within a year on my F150, cracking at the base. Only noticed when one tire went flat and I filled it up. Air was leaking when I moved the stem!
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
Actually you can get a hybrid valve stem that is part rubber part metal that is rated up to 100psi.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflat...a/AM20907.html

That appears to be what AS installed on my Bambi
As well on my Sport - rubber to metal. I think this is fine as long as they are the heavy duty rubber noted in your link.

I cannot imagine AS installing a light rubber stem on a GYE E series rated for 80psi. The base of mine looks robust. I have about 10K miles on mine with no problems. (that is the sound of me knocking on wood...)
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #26
Shopping for a Trailer ..

Currently Looking...
Stone Harbor , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
Actually you can get a hybrid valve stem that is part rubber part metal that is rated up to 100psi.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflat...a/AM20907.html

That appears to be what AS installed on my Bambi

I had the hybrid high pressure stems installed on my last trailer as because of the configuration of the wheel, none of the all metal ones would fit. Since I use external sensors (TireMinder are what I have), I cut and fit a short piece of pool noodle to fit over the sensor and stem to help support it. Seemed to work pretty well for a couple of years before I traded the trailer .... New trailer has metal stems ......
CathcartWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Something more like this is best for external sensors.https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...a/AM20906.html
Those would not fit on my Sendel T-2 rims. I bought 5 of the 416's and 5 of the 902-W. The 416 washer would not fit into the machined well, let alone a socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydogmusi View Post
I was on my way out so I went to Discount Tire and had them replace all the stems (will never darken their door again, it was a horrible experience).
I'm sorry to hear that. Here in central Florida, Discount Tire seem clean and knowledgeable. They were the ONLY place to buy the Dill valve stems, and one shop even offered to ship them to me. I actually drove 40 miles to get them since I didn't want to wait.
Dill, online, doesn't seem to sell to small buyers, like me.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
This is the 2nd report of the "High Pressure" "Snap-in" rubber valve failing with external TPMS.
If the bolt on metal stems are properly installed with correct torque I have never heard of a valve stem failure. This is what I always used in my 30 years of road racing with zero problems related to the valve. There is a good variety of bolt in metal stems. Some with smaller internal "heads" so if your wheel doesn't accept standard head dia then you need to do some shopping around.

RE the OP tire failure. That is a classic Sidewall flex failure from running with very low air. I suspect the valve failed first then a few miles later the tire failed due to 0 psi.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Thank you to all who responded to this post. Today we picked up 5 new GY Endurance tires for old Excella. Now we need to make sure that we get the right stems and TPM system. We've had blow-outs with a new 5th wheel (Chinese tires) and don't want the same to happen to the AS. Lots of information here to digest.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Thanks to all who have responded. I appreciate Tireman9's comments on the most likely failure scenario for my blow out.

I have been scrambling to definitively nail down a reference for valve stem requirements (full metal high-pressure v.s. rubberized metal high-pressure stems). I thought I'd read something definitive on this in TST documentation, but now I can't find it. There is a tendency for people to "over-react", and when it comes to tires - I'm in that group for sure.

What is clear is that MY FAILURE was a direct result of the LOW-PRESSURE rubber stems that were INCORRECTLY INSTALLED with the GYE's I had put on in May of 2018. What is TRUE is that those stems traveled ~ 5,000 miles before one of them blew out. It blew out on a return trip from the FL KEYS with outside ambient air temp was 95/96 deg's F. Without question, this was the first time I trailered those stems under such high temperatures. Happy Independence Day

I have placed a call with TST technical support to try to get definitive clarification on this question. I purchased through Gander Outdoors ($297) and their advertising provides the following guidance for the TST 507 cap sensors. These sensors are not all that heavy. I don't think the pose a lot of risk to tire balance. The sensor weight figures come directly from TST's Instruction Manual (pg 28) for the system I've purchased. TST's website also says "For use on rubber or metal valve stems"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG27.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	345380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG28.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	345381  

Old 07-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have the TST 507 system with valve cap sensors and also use the metal/rubber steams. 10K miles now and no issues. Where do you find a "warning" not to use these? The GY chart says 45-50psi for my weight; I run my pressure cold at 50-55 psi, and don't have any issues with my rivets popping nor hinges coming loose since I reduced from 70PSI. I usually travel 60-65MPH and occasionally a bit higher speed when needed. I travel in TX heat and MT cold...new GYE's this past year and again, no issues. If you can share any concerns in writing about those valve stems not being recommended by the MFG, I appreciate it.
Here is a picture of my stem...no issues to report; just checked them all. Really have to put some pressure on them to get any movement from the transmitter cap. Think this particular stem is fine with the transmitter cap I have. Let me know if you have data otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stem.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	345384  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Metal valve stems

If our GY endurance tires are rated for 80 psi, shouldn’t factory have included metal stems for higher than 65 psi?
Peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The TST certainly says the screw on can be used with rubber valve stems. I take the cover off to make them a little more compact and easier to remove.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Rechecking TST's website in detail, the company differentiates valve stem requirements based on external sensor types.

For the slightly lighter cap style sensors they say: "For use on rubber or metal valve stems."

For the heavier flow-thru style sensors they say: "For use on metal valve stems only."

So this clears up what appeared to be some confusion about the kind of valve stems required. Of course, rubber stems must be high pressure stems if they are being used with GYE tires. By inference, they are probably referring to rubberized base metal valve stems.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
I have the TST 507 system with valve cap sensors and also use the metal/rubber steams. 10K miles now and no issues. Where do you find a "warning" not to use these? The GY chart says 45-50psi for my weight; I run my pressure cold at 50-55 psi, and don't have any issues with my rivets popping nor hinges coming loose since I reduced from 70PSI. I usually travel 60-65MPH and occasionally a bit higher speed when needed. I travel in TX heat and MT cold...new GYE's this past year and again, no issues. If you can share any concerns in writing about those valve stems not being recommended by the MFG, I appreciate it.

Not sure about a "warning" but whenever I have talked with a TPMS dealer or listened in on their sales pitch I know I have heard many times them ask about valve stems and more than one dealer has recommended "bolt-in metal valves". This is information you do not get when ordering on Amazon or eBay.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Thanks all - Still working through my "upgrade" process here. Thought I'd post a few pic's and details.

Centramatics (so far) has sent me the wrong balancers for my 15" 6 bolt 5.5" BC Sendal T-02 rims. The part number I've ordered it correct. Their production dept is putting the wrong labels on boxes, so I'm being sent the wrong stuff. I'm hoping their third try is the charm.

I have two new GYE's mounted to two of my T02 rims. One of the GYE's I purchased last year has been transferred to steel spare tire rim. All rims have Dill VS-902-W stems installed. Today I landed my other two T02 rims with the shop for breakdown/installation of new Dill Stems. I've included a pic of one of the Dill VS-902-W stems mounted on one of the T02 rims. I've also included a view of one of these stems (my toolbox spare) dismantled for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dill-VS-902-W_On_Rim.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	347081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dill_STEM_Dismantled.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	347082  

Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #37
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specsalot View Post
Thanks all - Still working through my "upgrade" process here. Thought I'd post a few pic's and details.

I've also included a view of one of these stems (my toolbox spare) dismantled for your viewing pleasure.
That will give you great peace of mind with the TMPS...confidence in your tires AND that your stems won't fail.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Here is a picture of my stem...no issues to report; just checked them all. Really have to put some pressure on them to get any movement from the transmitter cap. Think this particular stem is fine with the transmitter cap I have. Let me know if you have data otherwise.
I think my 2018 Globetrotter had those tire stems on the GYE. I put the EEZTire TPMS on those stems. I noticed the TPMS part that screws on the stem was flexing and scratching the rims under speed. I replaced them with all metal stems. No issues since then.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I think my 2018 Globetrotter had those tire stems on the GYE. I put the EEZTire TPMS on those stems. I noticed the TPMS part that screws on the stem was flexing and scratching the rims under speed. I replaced them with all metal stems. No issues since then.
I inspect mine regularly, and don't see any evidence of rubbing on the rim/wheel around the stems. Thanks though for sharing your experience.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Third time was the charm for Centramatics, finally got the correct balancers. All tires are now in place with Centramatics and Dill VS-902 stems. Remaining work - Install the TPMS signal booster and program/install the sensors.

The Centramatics appear to have a galvanized finish with some silver silicone sealant to keep water out of the void between the balancing torus and the retaining plate that holds it. I gave them a coat of paint before installing them to further protect the materials.