Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Another Marathon Blow-out

Not on my trailer but on my son's SOB. Last week when my son was coming back from a trip he said it felt like a huge dust devil or gigantic gust of wind hit his trailer as it suddenly started whipping back and forth. He looked in the rearview mirror and saw pieces of tire flying up. He has about a 27 ft. Fleetwood of some kind w/ a slideout that he tows with an F-350 Powerstroke.

The Marathons came standard on the trailer when he bought it and it had less than 10k miles on them.

Any class action lawyers out there??? Sadly, it seems like that's the only way things get changed or fixed.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #82
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Is Airstream still using Marathons on the 2007 trailers?
Yes. Our 2007 Classic has the Marathons. I was going to wait a couple years before buying a pressure monitoring system, but Im starting to wonder if I should get one before our 1st trip in Sep. just in case. Sounds like once a tire blows, it can do alot of trailer damage if not detected right away. Am I being paranoid or can I hold off a couple years before dropping a wad on a monitor system?

I can't believe how much cash I have spent on little things for the new trailer, and havn't even taken an extended trip in it yet. Please tell me there is an end to this maddness.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 08-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tire Pressure Monitering System

Sky
The Pressure Pro System that I have gives tire pressure and location of tire losing pressure. I kept my old ST225/75R15 LRDs inflated to 65 PSI when the tire pressure in the failing tire dropped to around 58 PSI the monitor alarmed. By the time I had stopped according to the monitor I had 20 PSI left in the tire. I stood there by the side of the road and watched the tire go flat.
On a dual axle trailer the driver cannot feel the tire failing or comming apart.
These things (Tire Pressure Monitering Systems) are cheap insurance.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #84
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
rolling rolling rolling.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
With all of the problems everyone has been having with the Goodyear Marathons it seems like it would be raising a flag at Jackson Center. Is Airstream still using Marathons on the 2007 trailers?
Hi Cracker,

As of this July, AS is still using Goodyear Marathons as standard equipment.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
Am I being paranoid or can I hold off a couple years before dropping a wad on a monitor system? ...Please tell me there is an end to this maddness.

I agree with Beginner, the tire monitoring system is worth it for peace of mind alone, especially on my single axle trailer. If there is an end in sight, I haven't even caught a glimpse of it yet.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Maiden voyage with the new to us trailer, (remember, just picked up last weekend as the other one was ready to be towed to salvage); heading to Cape Cod (round 2) and a few miles down I-95 and I can see the rubber trail behind me. Quickly pull over on the shoulder and sure enough the tire is ripped to shreads. I could deal with throwing on the spare, but there is considerable damage to the trailer aft of the tire. Ahhhh, I just got the trailer less than a week ago. So after I propped up the reflective triangles that I purchased yesterday since I realize we didn't have any roadside emergency equipment, and figuring this was a $30 insurance policy against ever needing them (carrying an umbrella), Chuck (moderator) pulls up. He looked at the tire and thought that load range C seemed to be on the light side. We tried to find a tire dealer, but it was late Saturday afternoon, so I nervously made our way the rest of the trip. Tomorrow or Monday we'll make some calls. It appears from the DOT stamp that these are original tires, 1997, so it's time for new shoes and something a little beefier. I hope we have good weather.
Damage to your new trailer, oh no. Your insurance company is going to love you.

Got Mrs. Peegreen's voice mail when we got home from camping yesterday evening about the type of tires we got. We replaced our tires with Marathons - load range C because that's what the tire dealer could get for us quickly (remember we were on the NEU Relay Caravan when we lost our two, older tires). We were lucky, only minor damage to "The Tube" when the first tire blew and it's not anything folks can see unless they are really inspecting our rig.

We *are* getting the exact same tire monitoring system that golddigger has. Just need to purchase our new truck first (we still are trying to recover from sticker shock). Until then we will use a portable Infrared Thermometer. We'll check the temp of each tire everytime we stop. Not as good of a solution as the monitoring system but is better than nothing.

Oh, CO2 Fire Extingushers have been ordered for our rig. We'll have 4 on board once they come in. Two "regular" and two CO2s. So two in the bedroom area and two in the lounge area.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
Not on my trailer but on my son's SOB. Last week when my son was coming back from a trip he said it felt like a huge dust devil or gigantic gust of wind hit his trailer as it suddenly started whipping back and forth. He looked in the rearview mirror and saw pieces of tire flying up. He has about a 27 ft. Fleetwood of some kind w/ a slideout that he tows with an F-350 Powerstroke.
Hmmmmm. Our 25' Excella tracked rock solid during both of our blow outs this year. Never would have known we had a problem if some passing cars didn't bring the failures to our attention. Another NEU member with a 30' Excella had a blow out the same week we did and reported the same - no issues with the trailer tracking when the tire blew. We both have Hensley Arrow hitches, this may have helped. NEU member golddigger lost 4 trailer tires (give or take 1) last year on his Alaska trip. No issues with tracking (also has a Hensley Arrow).

Wonder if we would have had any sway when we lost our tires if we were running "regular" hitches. Anyone know if the Hensleys made the difference or do all two or more axle Airstreams perform well during blowouts?

Old 08-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
We replaced our tires with Marathons - load range C because that's what the tire dealer could get for us quickly.
BTW - As far as I know "The Tube" came with Marathons - load range C tires from the factory back in 1993. When my folks purchased the rig (used, in 1998 or 1999) they replaced all the tires with the same brand / load rating. They replaced the tires again in 2002 (same brand / load rating). The ones we lost this year were the replacements done in 2002. My folks never keep tires more than 3 or 4 years because they live in the desert and the heat and dryness does a number on them.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Unhappy Marathon Woes

About a week and a half ago, we were headed north to go camping on Friday afternoon. About half way there, we were on a 4 lane and a friendly fellow driver pulled up next to us and started pointing at our tires. It was a flat Marathon (due to bad valve stem). So I changed it and continued. 20 miles later, we are going thru town and a guy runs up next to the truck and tells us we have a flat on the same side! I pull up in a parking lot next to the only real service station in town and bribe the guy to fix some tires (it was quitting time) This Marathon had a blow out the size of your fist on the inside sidewall. He sold me a $10 car tire to use as a spare. Luckily we did not need it.

This was the second sidewall failure in the trailer tires this summer, so last week I switched to a set of Maxxis load range D. We'll see how they do.

As mentioned in the above posts, I did not notice either flat. We do have a Hensley.

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield: "I just wish I could drive down the
road without someone pointing at my tires!"
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
"Regular" Hitch?

Hi, I'm also running Goodyear Marathons on my trailer and like everyone else I hope they don't fail me; Especially since I have a "Regular" Hitch.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I'm also running Goodyear Marathons on my trailer and like everyone else I hope they don't fail me; Especially since I have a "Regular" Hitch.
At least I didn't call them SOB hitches.

No insult to other hitches, I'm sure they are fine products. I just didn't know how to explain there are hitches that hook up to a little ball at the end of your TV and the Hensley where there isn't a little ball to hook up to.

BTW, I'm not worried about running Marathon tires on our trailer. Our blow outs were on tires that should have already been replaced. My folks put many thousands of miles on two sets of Marathons without issue when they owned our camper. Dirt mountain roads in the desert, high mountain passes, high speed cross country trips on bad interstates, the worst conditions you can think of because they are bird nerds and are always looking for the next bird to add to their life lists. I think monitoring tire pressure and heat (no matter what brand of tires you run) is the prudent thing to do. This is what we are now doing - oh, we keep our tires under cover when we are not traveling, this should help too.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Sky,
I know how you feel about the spending. We bought the pressure pro and installed it on our 2006 classic from the beginning. Peace of mind was worth every penny.

Pappy
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Battle Mountain , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeandbecky
Has anyone here tried the Les Schwab brand trailer tires?
mikeandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #94
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Original post by myboyburt - "Anyone know if the Hensleys made the difference or do all two or more axle [COLOR=orange! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=orange! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Airstreams[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] perform well during blowouts?"
I Don't Know for sure if the Arrow helped but my right rear blew out yesterday on I-10 coming back to Houston from Lake Charles. It was very Hot ~100 degrees or so. This was on my '86 triple axle 34' Avion (a 34V) - It did some damage to the wheel well and the storage box behind, but nothing a few rivets won't fix. I was doing 65 and all the tires are pretty new 2500lb rated Carlisle's at 65 PSI (installed by the previous owner). I use a dual cam reese hitch with a pair of EZ friction anti sway bars and did not know about the blow out until notified by a passing car. So yes, it seems the multi axle setup can help a lot, not just the HaHa..... I guess I'm thinking of switching out all the tires now because of the Carlisle's bad press, but I'm not prepared to buy six 16" wheels to go the michelin route......Hmmmmmm. Have to do some more research....

(OK The Avion isn't Airstream - but it sure Thinks it is!)

Robmk2
Robmk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #95
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Robmk2,

Congratulations on surviving with minimal damage.

I'm having trouble understanding your set-up. Do you have a Hensley Arrow, attached to a Reese Dual Cam, with twin friction bars? How do you turn?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Markdoane....Hi!
No I dont have a Halsey I was referring to the earlier posters question, sorry for the confusion..... I have the reese and the EZ friction sway bars.

But now I'm thinking...My rig as is fully loaded is 8800lbs - less the hitch weight is 8100....8100 divided by 6 wheels is 1350lbs each.... Guess I can just use good Light Truck tires anyway - (The Kumho 235/75/TR15 is rated at 2028lbs at 44psi. Its $52 from Tire rack) mmmmm.... 2028 x 6 is 12,168lbs - should be plenty of margin methinks..... any comments???

Robmk2
Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #97
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Correction to the above

....Actually the Kumho road venture HT looks even better same size 235/75/sr15 but is an XL rated light truck tire max load 2183lbs ....x 6 (wheels) gives over 13000 lbs. Its $72.00 at tirerack.....Am I wrong here -???

Robmk2
Old 08-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #98
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Definitely go with the Road Venture (LT?) tires. They will have a stiffer sidewall and a better tread pattern. I wouldn't use the Solus tires on anything other than a car or light SUV.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmk2
Correction to the above

....Actually the Kumho road venture HT looks even better same size 235/75/sr15 but is an XL rated light truck tire max load 2183lbs ....x 6 (wheels) gives over 13000 lbs. Its $72.00 at tirerack.....Am I wrong here -???

Robmk2
BF Goodrich makes a similar XL tire in 15".
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Chinese Tires

I saw an article in USA Today about Chinese Tires a few weeks ago, back when that NJ company was ordered to recall all the Chinese tires they had sold.
There was a paragraph that said 75% of all auto accidents there was caused by tire failures.
If they care that much about their own countrymen, what in the world gives anyone the idea they think more of us.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote