Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2020, 07:01 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Skip, free advice is worth what you pay for it but IMO, but in consideration we have the same rig and i run gye's, unless you are really running light as verified by the scales, 65 psi likely leaves no much margin.

Like others, i don't unhitch and infact disc tire pulls the whole rig into the bay and does the tv, then the tt. Good suggestion re the bars, but they have not posed a problem.

B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Forgot to mention above but it seems Tireman9 ?? mentioned to not adjust psi for expected warmer temps during the day as tires warm from driving but to set based on ambient temps in a.m. only.
B
Old 03-06-2020, 04:19 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Cocoa Beach , Florida
CruizinDix,

I appreciate your input. Are you suggesting 80 PSI?

Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:15 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
CruizinDix,

Skip
Skip, the easy answer is I have the same trailer and run 72psi cold. Chances are the temperature change in FL from morning to afternoon is about the same as it is in RI, FL just starts off warmer. The highest pressure I've seen is around 82psi which is fine.

The long answer is you calculate the MINIMUM REQUIRED pressure based on the actual weight on your trailer's axle, taken at a CAT scale. Divide that by two and add 15% to that number (I've seen both 10% and 15% recommended). Then consult the tire pressure chart which will give you the minimum required pressure for that load. With the FC20 you will probably end up right around 65psi as a minimum.

You already know 80psi is the max, so now you have a range of acceptable tire pressures. The tire experts recommend running the highest pressure you can that does not cause harm to the trailer. I personally have found 72 psi to be that number. Higher than that and drawers and cupboards start to open and lots of things end up on the floor.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI

Echoing Post #6 about other GYE threads available:

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:01 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
CruizinDix,

Skip
Skip, I'm with smithcreek, which is a great explanation. Know your true per tire weight for each side and use the higher #. got out the calculator last night for my weight, about 2300 per tire max. 65 was minimum but i landed around 70 and rounded up. My target range is 72-75 which allows me to carry more FW and sometimes BW&GW without adjusting psi. In fact, these gye's hold air like no others. On our last 2 month trip to ME i only added air 2-3 times.

I bungee the refer as a matter of GP, have added a simple hook gate latch to the can rack slider and will swap out the lav door oem latch for a stronger magnet. I have had trouble there more likely related to the hinge loosening, ongoing adjustment and latch alignment challenges. At 80 (when on first post install trip) like smithcreek said...it was a bit too bouncy. Also long ago i added a rev-a-lock to the pot/pan drawer after blowing out the glides attachment screws. Never had a problem since regardless of psi.

https://rev-a-shelf.com/2647

B
Old 03-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #127
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Is interplay shear also related to the trailer weight? Do lighter trailers make less interplay shear forces than heavier trailers on the same turn?

I really do not care about my tire life as long as I get 4 trouble free years.

If EVERYTHING else is identical, lighter load with the same inflation or higher inflation with the same load will result in lower Interply Shear forces.

When comparing two tires of the same size, Load Range, inflation and loading it is possible for one tire to have a more robust belt package that can tolerate (resist structural damage) than another tire.

In anticipation of questions on how to identify a tire with "better" construction, I offer the following opinion.

In general, I think it is probable that tires with no Nylon layer over the belt edge are less robust than those with one layer and tires with two caps are probably more robust than a tire with only one layer over the belt edge BUT

this is not an absolute, 100% reliable comparison as there are other construction details and material selections that can be used to offset the presence or lack of a cap layer.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #128
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Forgot to mention above but it seems Tireman9 ?? mentioned to not adjust psi for expected warmer temps during the day as tires warm from driving but to set based on ambient temps in a.m. only.
B

For normal situations (not traveling above Arctic Circle or inflating tires in an air conditioned shop at 70F when it's 120F out side or when you are driving in NASCAR or at the Indy 500) You set tire pressure BEFORE tires are warmed by being in the sun and BEFORE tires are warmed from being driven on.

Most of the time we see the ambient temperature might change by 10F to 40F during a day's drive but even that 40F change would only affect tire pressure by about 8%.

We tire design engineers know this and test our tires to be able to tolerate normal pressure increase.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #129
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Cracks in tread

Our Endurance tires have cracks in the inside and outside groves of tread. The date of manufacturing all of the tires is the 2nd week of 2017. No other cracks can be seen. We planned for new tires at the end of the summer. Are the cracks the end of this set of tires? See attached picture. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47D158EE-D9B5-4630-B4DC-9D27B3AE1F08.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	364080  
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #130
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
UV exposure is the most likely cause, your location is a contributor for sure. Not necessarily a cause for immediate replacement.
303 Protectant and covering recommended.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_59.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	364082  
Old 03-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
Our Endurance tires have cracks in the inside and outside groves of tread. The date of manufacturing all of the tires is the 2nd week of 2017. No other cracks can be seen. We planned for new tires at the end of the summer. Are the cracks the end of this set of tires? See attached picture. Thanks

No. This is normal tire wear as far as I can see in your pictures.

LARGE tread separation is bad though if thats being seen.

"cracks" on the sidewall is more of a concern.

I keep my tire sidewalks coated with a good high quality tire dressing that blocks UV.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Are you referring to this?
I don't think that would stop me from driving on them.
Tires squirm a lot, especially on double axle trailers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47D158EE-D9B5-4630-B4DC-9D27B3AE1F08.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	364083  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #133
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Are you referring to this?
I don't think that would stop me from driving on them.
Tires squirm a lot, especially on double axle trailers.
Yes Mollysdad that’s the cracks. I keep the FC in a metal bay with north, south walls and a roof. But we are out and about half of the year. I did notice some squirming when semi’s passed us last week. Tire pressure 75 psi.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the photo. How many miles do you have on those GYE tires please?

There are a couple of tire experts here who will probably drop by and comment. You could peruse the recent posts, and send them PM's. They may suggest "interply shear" [IPS] as a contributing cause, as anticipated by Mollysdad.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...=airforums.com

When you park the trailer in the storage bay, are the tires on hard pavement/slab, and do you have to make tight turns to line up/position it correctly? There's your IPS IMO.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
. . .
I keep my tire sidewalks coated with a good high quality tire dressing that blocks UV.
Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/303-Products-.../dp/B06XQ32LVZ

What do you use?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #136
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR.../dp/B00KN0UOEE For me...makes 'em look good at least.

But if you exercise the tire enough the protectant that's already in the tire will come to the surface...problem with the AS tires...they sit quite a bit between trips.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
OTRA15 it has 25000 to 30000 miles. The bay has concrete floor but it sits on half inch plastic material. If our pasture is dry I make a large curve. If wet I back in on a gravel approach that’s tight turn.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the details . . . will wait for the tire experts to comment on the interply shear possibilities. Your gravel tight turn might contribute, as well as any tight turns while on the road. Lots of info in the search results posted earlier in Post #134.

Peter
Old 03-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #139
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
Normal 3 year old tires.

Post a photo in July - assuming you're back on the road as normal. If not post a photo after 2 or 3 months service. I'll bet they won't have changed that much.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:32 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Thanks, Barry.

BTW the link to your secure website, in the signature, is not working here.

This non-secure link seems to work:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/index.html

Peter