Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2023, 10:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Question Good TPMS for our 2023 23FBT

I've spent lots (maybe too much) time trying to find a solar powered TPMS with good reviews. I wanted solar so we didn't have to have a cable running to the F150s 12VDC outlet. None that I saw had really fab ratings. Thought about using a separate solar panel with a 12VDC outlet but that's seems to be an unknown.

So it's on to plug-in ones. I not going to get one that uses an app - I want a display. The TST 507 seems to be top of the heap with the others well below it in reviews unless I missed something. BUT - they all have repeaters. SO - is the repeater needed? If so, what's something for an AS 23,25 or 27 that's the best for me to buy ASAP?
englewoodfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
What's your TV? My Sierra has the TPMS built into the vehicle, I just had to have the sensors installed in the trailer's tires. Works great. I have to admit, if I didn't have the system that I have, I'd probably g with something that plugged in instead of something w/ a solar panel and battery, just in case it's, cloudy, at night, etc. (Maybe you don't tow in the dark, and isn't an issue if charged up? But I know my luck...)
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
We have a Tire Minder unit which monitors the trailer's 7 tires and the tow vehicles 5 tires. There is a dedicated head unit in the TV which plugs into a 12v outlet via a USB adapter, but I could get the hardwire kit if I wanted.

The booster box is important, in my opinion. Too many lost signals without it, no problems at all with it.

My booster is mounted on the tongue and wired via a switch which is accessible through a hatch on the nose of the trailer. We keep it off unless on the road.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We use the Tire Minder Solar Powered Trailer TPMS. The display is solar powered and charges well just sitting near our dash. It runs on its battery for a very long time. We never plug it in. The problem with it is that to conserve battery, its display gets quite dim and so, to read it, you have to push the button on the top which makes it light up. I have it within easy reach and so it works well for us. It also did a great job alerting us to a tire puncture recently.

It only goes to 70psi so it is not for you if you use 80psi.

I used it on several day drive home from the dealer without the repeater. I got several false alarms and so I think a repeater is needed. Besides, it is really simple to install.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
TST 507 here. The repeater sits in the propane cover. Some folks attach it to the side of the A-frame with heavy-duty VELCRO or 3M tape. I wired the repeater to the running lights coming from the 7-way plug. My wiring was easy because I had installed a longer 7-way cable (ProPride hitch). The splice box is right there at the propane tank.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Max TP

Sorry - i forgot to mention that our manual states that cold the 23FBT tires s/b 80 PSI.
englewoodfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodfl View Post
Sorry - i forgot to mention that our manual states that cold the 23FBT tires s/b 80 PSI.
I would inflate the tires according to their load. Check the load chart for the tire. The bumpy ride at 80# might be asking for popped rivets.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodfl View Post
So does mine and many others. Many, including me, have concluded that 80 is too high, like too high by a lot. Do a little searching.

Not long ago, most trailer tires were limited to 65mph. The Goodyear Marathons which Airstream used were made in China. The Marathons and many many other trailer tires made in China become known as "China bombs" because, either because people drove too fast, drove underinflated, or (most likely in my opinion) the tires were cheaply made and were absolute crap. The blew out frequently.

During this period Airstream increased recommended inflation to 80psi from what was (at least for a 25) 65psi. The thought was probably that increased pressure reduced heat and thus fewer booms from tires.

Goodyear introduced the USA made Endurance tire with higher speed limits in about 2017 or so. It is a far better tire. Many of us have concluded the higher pressure is not needed and is pretty hard on things like rivets staying where they should.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:17 PM   #9
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
We use the Tire Minder Solar Powered Trailer TPMS. The display is solar powered and charges well just sitting near our dash. It runs on its battery for a very long time. We never plug it in. The problem with it is that to conserve battery, its display gets quite dim and so, to read it, you have to push the button on the top which makes it light up. I have it within easy reach and so it works well for us. It also did a great job alerting us to a tire puncture recently.

It only goes to 70psi so it is not for you if you use 80psi.

I used it on several day drive home from the dealer without the repeater. I got several false alarms and so I think a repeater is needed. Besides, it is really simple to install.
Not sure which Tire Minder setup you're using, but mine goes way beyond 70psi. I used it previously on my coach with tires running over 100psi, so certainly they make units suitable for an Airstream.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have used a Tire Traker for the past 7+ years. The monitor is rechargeable and the sensors have replaceable CR1632 batteries. I tried it for awhile with no booster and the readings were inaccurate and did not update properly. Installed a booster and it works as it should. Sensor batteries last a year. The CR1632 batteries are expensive if you purchase at a local store ($6/each) I just bought 4 Duracell brand batteries for $7 online.
Find a tire pressure chart for the tire on your trailer. Get your trailer weighed so you have an idea of how much weight on on the tires. Check the chart and add 20% for side to side differential. I run 60 psi cold inflation pressure. Things do not get tossed around inside the trailer anymore. According to the TPMS the pressure/temperature rise is within range.
The new Tire Traker system can monitor up to 232 psi according to their website.
https://www.tiretraker.com/
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Not sure which Tire Minder setup you're using, but mine goes way beyond 70psi. I used it previously on my coach with tires running over 100psi, so certainly they make units suitable for an Airstream.
Mine is the cheap one, just called Solar Powered Trailer TPMS. I bought it for my car hauler, but ended up using it on my Airstream. The more expensive models definitely are rated for more than 70psi, but that is the limit on this model. The OP asked for a solar powered monitor so that he did not have to plug it in, which is what this is.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
The OP asked for a solar powered monitor so that he did not have to plug it in, which is what this is.
The OP’s reasoning for wanting solar was to avoid running a cable to the tow vehicle’s 12V outlet. The solutions recommend here (tie the repeater to the running lights on the 7-way) eliminate the need for power supplied by the 12V outlet. I don’t plug mine in; it is attached to the 7-way. When the running lights are on while towing (and they are always on, towing or otherwise) the repeater is powered. IIRC it is the white wire (ground) and the green wire (running lights) but you might want to verify that.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
The OP’s reasoning for wanting solar was to avoid running a cable to the tow vehicle’s 12V outlet. The solutions recommend here (tie the repeater to the running lights on the 7-way) eliminate the need for power supplied by the 12V outlet. I don’t plug mine in; it is attached to the 7-way. When the running lights are on while towing (and they are always on, towing or otherwise) the repeater is powered. IIRC it is the white wire (ground) and the green wire (running lights) but you might want to verify that.
Perhaps he can enlighten us, but I think he was asking about a solar powered monitor, not the repeater.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Perhaps he can enlighten us, but I think he was asking about a solar powered monitor, not the repeater.
Good point.

Our monitor sits in the tray between the seats. No need to watch it; the thing will scream if something is amiss.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:35 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Palo Alto , California
I got this cheap one, which is solar powered - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C2HMQP

works wonderfully with our 25'. Have spot checked the measurements, and it's always within 1 PSI of my gauge.
Defaults to metric measurements, so that needs to be changed, but has temp monitoring as well as pressure

Tires always connect within a few minutes of me turning it on.
Mullers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 05:49 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
I use the TST 507 with my 25FBT. Works fine with no repeater. After a few years, I realized I don't like the cycling through each tire. So I just changed to the Tire Minder so I can see all tires at once.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I just looked up the Tire Minder system that Jason PM mentioned and I like it. If my system were to go out I would go with the Tire Minder because you can see all the pressures at one time vs having to cycle through for each tire.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i use EEZTire

works well over the years. the batteries last about 1 year, even through a cold winter
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 03:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Tireminder

I installed the following tire monitors on our trailer. We bought six sensors including one for the spare tire and one spare. I mounted the repeater on the back of the battery box so the electronics were protected from on-coming hazards with only the antenna protruding below the box. The transmitter comes with two alligator clips that were easy to thread into the battery box and easy to unclip when not in use. I leave the monitor in my centre console (one less thing on the dash) and plug in as necessary. The app works well and if there is an issue the monitor beeps and I can easily check using my phone.

I went this way because for does not provide access to third party backup cameras and tire monitoring systems. Ford require a hard wire connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	431963  
Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:15 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I have the TireMinder which read that it was useful to 70 psi. I was running tires at 65psi then went up to 70psi. And the readout continues to work properly. I have it set to 75 now. And the readout as I drive goes even higher due to heat from the road but doesn't set off the alarm. I do have the solar so just keep the display on the dash as I drive. Have not set up the wireless repeater, but could put it on the A frame somewhere. As long as the batteries are fresh it's good!!!
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote