Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Ford Trailer Tire TPMS Sensor Kit

Any fellow members here know if the TPMS sensors supplied with Ford's OEM Accessory Trailer Tire Sensor System (Kit Part # LC3Z-1A189E) will fit/work with the factory installed 16" aluminum/alloy wheels that come with many late models including the Classic?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminum Wheel 16%22 6 Lug 411005 copy.png
Views:	72
Size:	716.7 KB
ID:	382585
Old 11-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
If those are the Sendel's, then yes. I upgraded our 2012 to those in 2016 or 2017. I installed the Ford TPMS and camera system on the Airstream and didn't seem to have any issues at Discount Tire. The hardest part was convincing the tire store to NOT jack up the whole trailer but doing one tire at a time with my Trailer Aide.

https://www.casarodante.org/2020/06/10/more-projects/
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
If those are the Sendel's, then yes. I upgraded our 2012 to those in 2016 or 2017. I installed the Ford TPMS and camera system on the Airstream and didn't seem to have any issues at Discount Tire. The hardest part was convincing the tire store to NOT jack up the whole trailer but doing one tire at a time with my Trailer Aide.

https://www.casarodante.org/2020/06/10/more-projects/
Roger.

Where did you end up installing the TPMS module? I denoted in the referenced kit I received from Ford that the wiring harness is close to 21' in OAL and splits off near the trailer end with the camera input connector. It appears FORD supplies the same cable harness for either the Camera/TPMS combo or the stand alone TPMS system.

This led me to contact Ford Customer Service who then referred me to Ford.Parts.com whereby we discussed the length and design of the harness as it made no sense to me that the harness for the TPMS system only (no camera) would be 21' in length when the instructions call for the TPMS module to be mounted inside of the trailer's front A-Frame.

This all led me back to my local Ford Dealer (where I ordered/purchased the Trailer TPMS (only) kit and after meeting and speaking with the Service Manager, and one of his senior techs, we determined that I should install the module under the trailer back toward the rear axles while maintaining an appropriate amount of wiring harness length at the front (A-Frame) to connect/disconnect (including turning radius) with my TV as I already have with the running/stop and 12v input wiring harness. Not sure what I'll end up doing with the camera lead and can only hope at this point that it will not interfere with the functionality of the TMPS system integration. Ford does not provide a blank cover for the camera pin connector.

Made sense, just seems that since Ford offers the Camera/TPMS and/or the TPMS Only kits, they (Ford) could have either provided a separate cable for front mounting the module as the instructions state to do, or alternatively, made the wiring harness such that it could be disconnected (or lengthed) as desired by being in two parts and eliminating the camera lead.

Thanks for the reply on Sendel alloy wheels, that was my only other concern as with all my research, I couldn't seem to find an indication of the valve stem hole inside diameter anywhere. Since you have the same wheels, makes me more confident to proceed with installation and getting the stems installed later this week or next as I also have a new set of tires to install at the same time.

Regards,

RE Rick Williams
Old 11-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I attached a picture denoting where I placed the sender unit. This view is to the front of the trailer (you can see the tongue jack).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 4.47.58 PM.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	382603  
On the road!
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 11-04-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
On another subject, can I ask a favor of you? It is regarding the connector with the red gasket, the one that connects the TPMS and camera to the truck. Ford supplies a cover piece for that to protect it when you don't have it connected to the truck. I have lost my cover like that, it also has a red gasket on it. Can you take pictures of that piece for me? I am trying to find a part number or some such so I can order another one. Thanks!
On the road!
Old 11-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Following.... as I’m thinking of ordering/installing the Ford TPMS only kit. Thanks for your post gents!
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Brentwood , California
Curious if anyone has a time line to get the TPMS from Ford. I was told by our local dealer that the kit is on backorder.
hobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
May or may not be relevant but I purchased with my 2020 F250 the Ford TPMS and integrated rear camera package to go with my 2020 25’ Globetrotter. AS dealer service took one look at this and said insane to have a wired system, and it would take as much as a day of technician time to install it all, requiring holes drilled in the underbelly etc. Already came with a wireless non integrated camera and I ended up spending another few hundred on the spot to get a wireless TPMS. On top of this the backup assist on the Ford doesn’t really work reliably due to reflection from the propane tank cover. So all the ambitious tech plans big fail (and I’m fine with what I have).

Anyway I have a brand new Ford TPMS and camera system in a box untouched if anyone wants to make an offer!
Czarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have the Ford TPMS/Camera kit. I did not drill any holes in my trailer. I mounted the camera with VHB tape and Goop adhesive. I ran the wire up the back of the trailer on the surface. I used stick on cable clamps to hold it. In the off season, I take the camera out of the mount and store it inside out of the weather. I coil up the cable and zip tie it under the bumper.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
The issue I'm encountering with the Ford Accessory Trailer Tire Sensor (only) kit is with the wiring harness supplied with it. Apparently Ford chooses to include and ship the same wiring harness irrespective of whether or not it is the Camera+TPMS or TPMS only.

What I've got is a 21 ft harness that splits at about 15' with two segments, one to connect to the TMPS module and the other to connect to the Camera. This (harness) is clearly too long to use if mounting the TPMS at the front of the trailer on the A-frame (as per the supplied installation instructions) and alternately, if I choose to mount the module further back toward the rear axles fine, but I still have the to-be-unused harness segment for the camera of which I did not order nor plan to (as I use the wireless camera set-up factory supplied and installed in my Classic).

I'm stumped now on which way to go, i.e.;
a) Return the Ford TPMS Trailer Tire Sensor (only) Kit to my Dealer and move onto a separate, aftermarket type wireless system (I did'nt really want to go this way as I'd prefer to have have and use my 2019 Ford F250 Limited's integrated SYNC3 TPMS system to be able to monitor both TV and TT tires simultaneously.

b) Install the system as delivered by mounting the TPMS module under the trailer back near the rear axle - only to have to bundle up and zip tie the to-be-unused camera wiring leads.

c) Mount the module up front (A-frame) as instructed by Ford and just bundle up the "heap" of wiring and try to conceal it somewhere such as inside of the propane cover (which sucks as an idea to me).
Old 11-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I mounted my module to the front axle with zip ties. Even though I installed a camera, I still had a lot of extra cable. I ran it back and forth long ways on top of the rear axle and secured it with zip ties.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I mounted my module to the front axle with zip ties. Even though I installed a camera, I still had a lot of extra cable. I ran it back and forth long ways on top of the rear axle and secured it with zip ties.

When you have some free time, will you share a picture of your install?
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I have a 2019 Ford F350 Limited and this setup works fine. I also removed the Ford camera option on the cable, by cutting and terminating the cable. I secured the terminations with waterproof electrical tape, and dipped them in liquid electrical tape. I found these sensors way more accurate than the OEM sensors on the truck.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:03 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikdacy View Post
I have a 2019 Ford F350 Limited and this setup works fine. I also removed the Ford camera option on the cable, by cutting and terminating the cable. I secured the terminations with waterproof electrical tape, and dipped them in liquid electrical tape. I found these sensors way more accurate than the OEM sensors on the truck.
Trikdacy, thanks a million!

You're response is pretty much the answer (solution) I was seeking to learn and confirm, i.e. that cutting the to-be-surplus camera lead off of the wiring harness (and isolating/terminating them as you did) permits the TPMS segment to work as intended, integrate with the Ford SD Sync-3 TV TPMS, and not give error messages from the camera not being installed.

I also assume you then mounted the TPMS near the rear axles making use of the length of the supplied cable (sans portion of the camera lead as described). Would that be correct?
Old 11-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #15
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Trikdacy, thanks a million!

You're response is pretty much the answer (solution) I was seeking to learn and confirm, i.e. that cutting the to-be-surplus camera lead off of the wiring harness (and isolating/terminating them as you did) permits the TPMS segment to work as intended, integrate with the Ford SD Sync-3 TV TPMS, and not give error messages from the camera not being installed.

I also assume you then mounted the TPMS near the rear axles making use of the length of the supplied cable (sans portion of the camera lead as described). Would that be correct?
Yes, and I also located the cable "Holder" on the "A" frame a few inches forward of the propane port. I also picked up a 7 pin cap so it can rain, and I have no worries for eithe of the connectors getting wet. I tied the TPMS cable to the 7 Pin cable starting about a foot from the connectors so I did not have two cables flying around, and then worked to secure it backwards. I will take some photos the next time I see my AS. We just put it in storage today after being on the road since April.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Trikdacy, can you take a picture of the holder (with the red gasket)? I lost mine and would love to get a part number so I might be able to get a replacement?
On the road!
Old 11-07-2020, 03:26 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
Trikdacy, can you take a picture of the holder (with the red gasket)? I lost mine and would love to get a part number so I might be able to get a replacement?
I'll post one today, later this morning of the holder which is still in the Ford packaging with item part number. (need to retrieve the box of contents from inside my TV and snap the photo for you).
Old 11-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Roger,

Here you go, re: photo & part #

Name:	TPMS bracket.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	382701
Old 11-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikdacy View Post
Yes, and I also located the cable "Holder" on the "A" frame a few inches forward of the propane port. I also picked up a 7 pin cap so it can rain, and I have no worries for either of the connectors getting wet. I tied the TPMS cable to the 7 Pin cable starting about a foot from the connectors so I did not have two cables flying around, and then worked to secure it backwards. I will take some photos the next time I see my AS. We just put it in storage today after being on the road since April.
Trikdacy, thanks again...

Just to be sure I'm following your comments and set-up correctly

I assume your install was something like this....

1) you swapped out the existing OEM trailer tow connector from the rear bumper and installed the new 7/12 one supplied with the Ford Trailer TPMS kit (per the supplied instructions), then

2) located the 12-way trailer camera electrical connector behind the bumper, removed its dust cap and connected it to the lower 12-way trailer tow connector,

3) then, ran and attached the Camera+TPMS wiring harness from the rear bumper of your truck (parallel with your 7-pin electrical (running/stop and 12v power supply) connector cable to the underside and rear of your Airstream, then

4) mounted and connected the TPMS module to the bottom of the trailer and connected it with the TPMS sensor end of the harness.

Note: Also, at sometime during the installation you cut off the section of lead in the wiring harness where it "Y's" or splits off with the camera cabling extension connector, and taped/sealed up the cut lead for the camera extension wiring.

5) then with the install completed, (and per the supplied instructions) you then moved onto programing the sensors by a) 1st connecting the trailer's 7-pin electrical/lighting connector, then b) the lower 12-pin trailer tow connector and then,

6) Turned your truck's ignition on of which resulted in the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) prompting you to set-up the trailer tire training as per the supplied instructions (of course all of this includes your having had the TPMS sensors previously installed in the 4-trailer tires). Did you have to put your truck in tow mode to see the trailer tires in the IPC TPMS menu?

So with all of that, once all the sensors were trained and you set the pressure settings in the Sync-3 TPMS system menu, do you now see both the TV and the TT's tire pressures when you dial through the menu in the IPC when your truck is in tow mode (or do the TT's TPMS sensors just show no readings when the trailer is not connected)?

I really appreciate your input on this.

Regards,
Rick (aka Rewillia)
Old 11-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Finished my install of the Ford Trailer Tire Sensor Kit this morning on my '19 F250 Limited (sans the new TT tires and sensor install which will happen this coming week).

Did as Trikdacy recommended, cut the camera lead off of the wiring harness and used some heat shrink to close and seal sealed the ends of the wires then inserted them back into the loop and taped it closed.

Easy installation.

Thanks for everyone's input.