Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftin Di View Post
Can anyone recommend a brand they really like nd holds up well?
Many thanks
I have been using these since we bought our Airstream in March of 2015. Still going strong and are used all year whenever we are parked in driveway.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have always used the ADCOs as well. They last 5 or 6 years before the vinyl starts to crack and split.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
UV Rays bounce-Black better than white

I've posted this before and got laughed at, but this article says that UV rays bounce and if you aren't covering the entire tire, then the uncovered portion is susceptible to UV rays.

http://rvtravel.com/tire-covers-whic...lack-or-white/

We asked industry expert, Marvin Bozarth, about how to best protect tires from UV light. Mr. Bozarth is the Tire Industry Association (of America) technical expert. Marvin noted that indeed, black actually absorbs UV radiation, therefore stopping UV from getting through to a tire covered with a black cover; white (and other colors) unless especially treated to block UV rays will pass them through.
We then called on one of the top selling RV tire cover manufacturers for their take on the situation. A representative from ADCO Products, who make tire covers sold by outfits like Camping World, told us that yes, their tire covers are made with, “automotive vinyl that’s pressed with a UV inhibitor.” When we pressed for information as to just how resistant to UV radiation their covers are, the representative said he couldn’t tell us — not without laboratory analysis. Push come to shove, he could say that ADCO tire covers were, “in some way UV resistant.”

The Tire Industry Association’s Bozarth also told us that tires that are not completely covered with some material that resists UV radiation are susceptible to radiation damage wherever they are uncovered. UV radiation doesn’t have to fall directly on a tire, it can “bounce” as it were, and cause damage to the back side of the tire if unprotected. He did add that the additional heat captured by a black tire cover was not a concern in terms of damaging a tire.
Mr. Bozarth said his best advice for RV owners when it comes to tire longevity is this: Don’t let your tires stand idle for months at a time. Tires are manufactured with antiozinate chemicals which travel to the surface of the tires to protect them against UV radiation. However, these chemicals only migrate when the tires flex–meaning, the tires must be driven on to flex. He recommends that an RV be driven a bit every one to two months for best protection.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Rich,

Thanks for the heads up and it makes perfect sense. I just looked at the Covercraft SnapRing TireSavers. They are a lot more money than the ADCO's but look like they will look and hold better. They also come in black!

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I've posted this before and got laughed at, but this article says that UV rays bounce and if you aren't covering the entire tire, then the uncovered portion is susceptible to UV rays.

http://rvtravel.com/tire-covers-whic...lack-or-white/

We asked industry expert, Marvin Bozarth, about how to best protect tires from UV light. Mr. Bozarth is the Tire Industry Association (of America) technical expert. Marvin noted that indeed, black actually absorbs UV radiation, therefore stopping UV from getting through to a tire covered with a black cover; white (and other colors) unless especially treated to block UV rays will pass them through.
We then called on one of the top selling RV tire cover manufacturers for their take on the situation. A representative from ADCO Products, who make tire covers sold by outfits like Camping World, told us that yes, their tire covers are made with, “automotive vinyl that’s pressed with a UV inhibitor.” When we pressed for information as to just how resistant to UV radiation their covers are, the representative said he couldn’t tell us — not without laboratory analysis. Push come to shove, he could say that ADCO tire covers were, “in some way UV resistant.”

The Tire Industry Association’s Bozarth also told us that tires that are not completely covered with some material that resists UV radiation are susceptible to radiation damage wherever they are uncovered. UV radiation doesn’t have to fall directly on a tire, it can “bounce” as it were, and cause damage to the back side of the tire if unprotected. He did add that the additional heat captured by a black tire cover was not a concern in terms of damaging a tire.
Mr. Bozarth said his best advice for RV owners when it comes to tire longevity is this: Don’t let your tires stand idle for months at a time. Tires are manufactured with antiozinate chemicals which travel to the surface of the tires to protect them against UV radiation. However, these chemicals only migrate when the tires flex–meaning, the tires must be driven on to flex. He recommends that an RV be driven a bit every one to two months for best protection.
That must be why I get sunburned in the shade! I'm being a bit of a smart heinie, but you can't tell me that reflected UV rays are anywhere as strong as direct UV rays.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
In a better world, we'd wear out our tires before they have time to rot out. But until then I'll keep my tires in the shade when the trailer is stored.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
In a better world, we'd wear out our tires before they have time to rot out. But until then I'll keep my tires in the shade when the trailer is stored.
I can now see the window. 12 to 24 months and my AS wheels won't be still long enough for covers.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #28

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
When I wear a long sleeved shirt my arms do not burn but hands will. Guess just plain cotton cloth blockes a lot of UV rays.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
When I wear a long sleeved shirt my arms do not burn but hands will. Guess just plain cotton cloth blockes a lot of UV rays.
While I was researching the tire stuff I found a sunscreen review from some web site that said if you can see through the material you're not getting any protection. I would think cotton shirts are pretty safe. I wear long sleeves now when I fish. Skin cancer is very high among older people because they spend more time in the sun, I guess. I know I do
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That must be why I get sunburned in the shade! I'm being a bit of a smart heinie, but you can't tell me that reflected UV rays are anywhere as strong as direct UV rays.
From the WHO site:
http://www.who.int/uv/uv_and_health/en/
Ground reflection—UV radiation is reflected or scattered to varying extents by different surfaces, e.g. snow can reflect as much as 80% of UV radiation, dry beach sand about 15%, and sea foam about 25%

http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jre...n2p189_A2b.pdf
Aluminum reflectivity is 50-75%
[very technical scanned pdf. This was my take on it.]

I researched others but it's way over my head. The best advice is to get those wheels rolling about every month or two if you store outdoors and to use black covers to absorb the UV (or white ones that have been treated to absorb UV.)

My AS was stored outside for 2 years by the PO and 3 years by me. I don't know what the original owner did but he put new GYMs on about a year before he sold it and they're still on there, look great too. Unless you look at the date code you can't tell they were from 2011. But it's time to replace them before any more long trips.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
From the WHO site:
http://www.who.int/uv/uv_and_health/en/
Ground reflection—UV radiation is reflected or scattered to varying extents by different surfaces, e.g. snow can reflect as much as 80% of UV radiation, dry beach sand about 15%, and sea foam about 25%

http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jre...n2p189_A2b.pdf
Aluminum reflectivity is 50-75%
[very technical scanned pdf. This was my take on it.]

I researched others but it's way over my head. The best advice is to get those wheels rolling about every month or two if you store outdoors and to use black covers to absorb the UV (or white ones that have been treated to absorb UV.)

My AS was stored outside for 2 years by the PO and 3 years by me. I don't know what the original owner did but he put new GYMs on about a year before he sold it and they're still on there, look great too. Unless you look at the date code you can't tell they were from 2011. But it's time to replace them before any more long trips.
We aren't reflecting off ANY of those surfaces to the back side of the tires when the covers are on the front side. New white concrete or limestone gravel is about as bright as it gets for a reflective surface on the back of the tires. Even then, it is multiple reflections to get from one side to the other. Result = little UV gets to the back side of the tires by reflection and little gets to the front side with covers. (the white vs. black covers is an interesting subject though)

Old 05-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #32
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Nice conversation!!!!

Living in Phoenix (no snow, no sand and no sea) I guess I am good to go with tire covers. Mine cover the outside of the tire and most of the tread. They do make a noticeable difference.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Do you also cover your car tires? I never understood why trailer tires needed to be protected any more than the TV tires. We only drive 3000 miles a year on my wifes car and have had tires last 7 to 8 years.

Your car tires are probably only loaded to about 75% of capacity. Also cars do not generate Interply Shear as seen in trailers. This force coupled with higher heat due to higher load contribute to shorter tire life.

I have a couple of posts on my blog on the value of tire covers.