Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
F-150 TPMS for trailer too?

I've ordered a 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat with the max tow package and,of course, the truck has a TPMS with internal sensors. I could get 2 more of these valve stems to put on my trailer but would the monitor in the truck pick up the signals and display these tires? Is there a signal booster available? Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Currently I have Tire Minder exterior mounted sensors for trailer and my current truck. The trailer has a signal booster to get it to register on the portable monitor. To mount sensors internally I would probably need to change the wheels to have the right valve stem opening but that would be OK.

Thanks!

Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
With my Toyota the sensors have unique frequency that is programmed with the vehicles computer. That and not all wheels use the same sensors, my truck came with steel wheels and I upgraded to factory aluminum that required a different angle on the stem so had to buy 4 new sensors and then have dealership reprogram them to the truck. PITA
Good luck the idea is great and maybe it's been done.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 31' Classic
Southwest Michigan , Michigan
Tpms

We currently have a TST tpms on our trailer. Our TV is a 2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty. We've looked at the 2017 Ford Super Duties because of the new safety features as well as the TPMS they offer. Their system is designed for the Truck as well as the trailer with up to four tires. The sensors are provided by Ford. I have found out that TST's tires sensors will not work with Ford's system, we were hoping they would work. Ford, GM and Chrysler have their own frequencies they use. These discrete frequencies were given to them by the FCC. So the after market tpms manufactures can't use these frequencies, bummer.

With our TST system we have a repeater on the front of our trailer to relay the sensor signals to the monitor in our truck. Hope some of this helps with your questions.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds good. One less dohicky to find room for in the cab.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote