Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2023, 12:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Endurance Tire Fail at 3 Years

These tires are 3 years old.

Millage is unknown. Is not real relevant for trailers. Plenty of tread life left.

However on sunday one failed causing a bunch of damage after about 40 miles of drive time of a 90 mile trip.

My routine is change them out at 3. This was going to be done this winter in between camping.

I run 77-80 PSI. Bambi 19. Keep it at 65 or less except for a pass here and there. No use during the summer months, April through end of OCT. Winter camping only. Under carport shade storage, no sunlight touches these tires in the summer.

Posting this to remind people NOT to over extend your luck on tires. This may been an anomaly as these tires should last 5 years. I figured my buffer of 3 was good enough but apparently not. I have used these tires since the camper was new. No problem like this until now.

It's going to cost me my deductible for repairs at the shop as the tread separation tore up the under side and the side of the camper on the water heater side and we had to cancel an extended camping trip for the next two weeks.

I have new Endurance tires on order as I can't see any practical reason to change brands. Be careful out there.

JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Well..that is sure bad news. I would not have expected that to happen.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Sorry to have happen to you. Poor Airstream also! You mentioned running 77-80 PSI. Maybe check an inflation chart to see what PSI is needed to support the weight of your 19' Bambi. Maybe a slightly lower PSI would make a difference? We have a 2019 FC 25' RBT with about 30k Miles on it. I run 60 PSI cold in them. So far, no problems with the Goodyear Endurance tires. They have a manufacturer date of October, 2018. Guess I should consider new ones sooner rather than later. Hope damage is fixed right and it all works out for you and Bambi.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 01:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Everyone's nightmare.
You do all your due diligence and still a tire blows.
I run a TPMS and my tires are date coded as 4022. (Late 22)
But there's no guarantee. Usually we'll see or feel a road hazard. Or, maybe a month ago you scraped a curb and weakened the tire.
Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason.
Since the entire tread of yours let go, perhaps a manufacturing flaw?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Probably had nothing to do with age or air pressure. Sometimes things fail for other reasons, possibly a manufacturing defect that could not be detected by visual inspection. All you can do is buy another tire and move on.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bought Trailer May 1, 2006, Blowout June 20, 2007

My favorite: Goodyear Marathon 14 inch, C Rated Tires on a 2006 23 foot Safari. The ONLY Airstream with 14 inch tires. All others had 15 inch E Rated Marathons.

I did not even know how to change a tire, until my first Marathon Tire experience. With 14 inch tires I discovered how to change a flat. No tread on these tires. A tack in the road was a Flat Tire.

Never had a blow out on a 4x4 vehicle. One Blow Out with an Airstream. Love them rivets and if they POP, I upgrade the rivet.

Love my Michelin 16 Inch E Rated tires I installed on my 25 foot and my current 27 foot Airstream.

I knew nothing about tires in 2006. I was a fast learner and found the Air Forums. Be careful of 'good advice'. I am still learning, but the ignorance I once had, has been replace with EXPERIENCE. Much more important and self taught from Doing... not making things up.

Lucky for me, no damage. NW Colorado.

Michelin 16 inch Tires the go anywhere, any place tires. Tested and no more Goodyear Trailer Tires. Light Truck Tires for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1937.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	439666   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1936.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	439667  

Old 12-19-2023, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Looking at that picture and reading you history of it, all I can think is that it was a faulty tire. I am not sure there is any way to protect yourself from that sort of failure.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 10:14 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
jjtx, was the tire still inflated?

If yes and it is still mounted, what is the current pressure?

Action
Old 12-20-2023, 04:19 AM   #9
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Sorry to have happen to you. Poor Airstream also! You mentioned running 77-80 PSI. Maybe check an inflation chart to see what PSI is needed to support the weight of your 19' Bambi. Maybe a slightly lower PSI would make a difference? We have a 2019 FC 25' RBT with about 30k Miles on it. I run 60 PSI cold in them. So far, no problems with the Goodyear Endurance tires. They have a manufacturer date of October, 2018. Guess I should consider new ones sooner rather than later. Hope damage is fixed right and it all works out for you and Bambi.
Agree …..PSI to high….
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 05:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
The OP's info seems to indicate a 19' Bambi. If I recall, those units also are fitted with 225 75 R15 tires. 19' Bambi trailers I believe orig came with "D" rated tires back in the day that have about 2540lb load capacity and the rims were rated to match the tires, 65psi (or at least they were).

Endurance does not appear to have "D" rated tire for 225 75 R15 when you try to select on both Discount Tire and the Goodyear site, it changes the tire size.

If that info is correct, outside of jury rigging something, if you have "E" rated tires on a Bambi that has 225 75 R15s filled to 80psi, that weighs in about 3600lbs (after hitch weight and zero things packed) all bets are off. The single axle trailers have a ton of bounce to them to start with due to single axle and reasonably low GVWR.

At 80psi, with a firmer "E" rated tire size of 225 75R15 @80psi, you now have a 2830 carrying capacity per tire, or 5660lbs combined with a bouncy trailer and a firmer "E" rated tire that very well may be overfilled for the situation. It could be a bad tire, but my guess is that you are wildly overfilled on those tires as has been pointed out and that could have contributed to the failure. I went from D to E on a 27, but going from D to E on a 19- my opinion, seems a bit much, but then again, I'm not a tire guy.

My whole point being- if we know single axle, lighter trailers bounce more than heavier dual or triple axle trailer, the introduction of an stiffer "E" rated tire could exacerbate that bounce, leading to premature tire failure? I mean, clearly the tire has more than enough capacity to carry that trailer's weight and then some. For that specific trailer, I'd consider going to a Maxxis "D" rated tire. Softer ride, nylon cap, etc- or significantly decreasing your tire pressure by around 20psi to match this chart:

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Additionally, as ST tires age, their capacities decrease. For a larger heavier trailer (28' or larger), in my thinking, 3-4 years is mandatory regardless of mileage. For the smaller, lighter trailers with "E" rated tires, you might be able to push 5-6 and still have enough capacity, but that would also depend on mileage, type of roads, UV exposure, storage time, etc. I myself would not push to 5-6 years, but I do know folks in similar situations that have, which doesn't necc make it a safe bet in and of itself.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Ouch, sorry that happened.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
These tires are 3 years old.

Millage is unknown. Is not real relevant for trailers. Plenty of tread life left.

However on sunday one failed causing a bunch of damage after about 40 miles of drive time of a 90 mile trip.

My routine is change them out at 3. This was going to be done this winter in between camping.

I run 77-80 PSI. Bambi 19. Keep it at 65 or less except for a pass here and there. No use during the summer months, April through end of OCT. Winter camping only. Under carport shade storage, no sunlight touches these tires in the summer.

Posting this to remind people NOT to over extend your luck on tires. This may been an anomaly as these tires should last 5 years. I figured my buffer of 3 was good enough but apparently not. I have used these tires since the camper was new. No problem like this until now.

It's going to cost me my deductible for repairs at the shop as the tread separation tore up the under side and the side of the camper on the water heater side and we had to cancel an extended camping trip for the next two weeks.

I have new Endurance tires on order as I can't see any practical reason to change brands. Be careful out there.

I have the original Michelin LT tires on our 2027 Classic with aprox. 30K miles on on them and they look brand new.
On our previous 2012 International I had Good Year tires on and I had thread separation like yours on I-4 and before I could get over to the shoulder I ended up with 9K damage on the trailer.
I would never put any Good Year product on my trailer.
Find it curious why you are putting the same tires back on after such serious thread separation issue.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
I have the tire blowout protection system from RV Defender on my list of future upgrades (https://rv-de-fender.com/)
The single axle kit is around $800, the tandem axle about $1400.
Info:
Install:
Looks like a decent product. I already have TPMS and would not like being without. That said, it's possible for a tire to delaminate and still hold pressure. I'm not sure if that would cause a noticeable temperature change alert.
Taco Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Inflation did not the problem here
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:33 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Joe View Post
I have the tire blowout protection system from RV Defender on my list of future upgrades (https://rv-de-fender.com/)

Looks like a decent product. I already have TPMS and would not like being without. That said, it's possible for a tire to delaminate and still hold pressure. I'm not sure if that would cause a noticeable temperature change alert.

Interesting. I did notice this:

(**These are designed to fit straight axle with leaf springs and drum brakes**)

Might need to make a call about fitment on torsion axles.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Joe View Post
Info:
Install:
Airstream should be protecting the wheel wells batter than they do now. It would hardly cost anything for them to put in a steel shield during the manufacturing stage.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:26 AM   #17
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
JJTX,

Do the tire sidewalls mention nylon or polyamide? It will be in the small print starting with the words " Tread: 2 plies polyester ......"
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
I just replaced my Chinese made tires with Goodyears a week ago. I had installed the cheap Chinese tires while I was doing a complete rebuild of our '67 Caravel. I think I had about 10k miles and 8 years on the old tires..Maybe I got lucky. Also I ran the TP around 60psi. It appears after reading this that I should do the same with the Goodyear's. Also I went from a 205 75 15 to a 225 75 15.
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that the single axle trailers usually had the 5,000 pound rated axle and they came with the 15" GoodYear Marathons rated 2,540 pounds at 65 psi. Lots of folks migrated to the 16" Michelins with great results

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:40 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Interesting thread. Based on experiencence, the tire failure mode looks an awful lot like retread tire separation. Have seem chunks of tire separate do to road hazard impact, but complete separation with carcass intact is rare.

OP fails to state whether he bought or inherited those tires, where purchased from, and if any road hazard warranty was offered or bought.

Just curious.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote