Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Could This Be The Solution

The solution to our tire problems? A 235/75 15 LT tire in load range D.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

It's called an On/Off road, all terain tire, but that mostly describes the tread design, and I wonder if this would in any way prevent it's use in trailer service.

Pirelli is a well respected tire manufacturer, it's an LT tire in load range D, so it should handle the weight OK, it's a 15" so no need to replace wheels. They are a little more expensive than ST tires, but who wouldn't be willing to pay a little more for a tire that would carry the weight and stay together?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I think this tire would work well for my 25 Safari.
Maximum load of the tire is about 2225 pounds. I like one tire to be able to carry the entire load on one side in case of a blowout. On my Safari GVW is about 6000 pounds. Subtract the hitch weight and this tire comes close to meeting the test.
I would be concerned about using this tire on a heavier double axle Airstream like a classic or bigger Safari. In that case, I would go to 16 inch wheels or use an E rated ST tire.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What is the maximum psi on that tire?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
It's not designed for TT use.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
What is the maximum psi on that tire?
The web site states max load as 2335 lbs and the max inflation as 65 psi.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
It's not designed for TT use.
That's right, and those that are designed for trailer use (ST), are no good. People who are using LT (Light Truck) tires, are having much more luck with the tires actually staying in one piece.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Please enlighten me. What makes an ST better for trailer applications? I know that they are designed for trailer use but what is the actual problem with running LTs?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Please enlighten me. What makes an ST better for trailer applications? I know that they are designed for trailer use but what is the actual problem with running LTs?
Take a look here. Trailer Tire Facts - Discount Tire

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
ST tires are built w/ heavier sidewalls, supposedly; they are also sometimes of bias ply rather than radial construction. In the past (1970s) , Airstream has supplied their trailers with LT radial tires; many of us run them today, as quality standards appear higher for such tires than for tires aimed at the very cost-sensitive trailer market. It appears to me that ST tires are a means for delivering the sturdy tire carcass needed for trailering w/o the other expenses associated with tires aimed at the LT market. Most trailer tires become rotted with age/ozone rather than worn out due to use, in contrast to what happens w/ LT tires.

Like many contentious subjects here, you'll find lots of opinions on this topic. Personally, we run LT tires on both the truck and trailer. When folks complain about the rate of tire failure w/ ST tires on their heavier Airstreams, several people recommend switching to 16" LT load range E tires. I'll likely do this when we need tires again, even though our 'stream isn't very heavy.

If you're worried about trailer tire failures, install a pressure monitoring system; this will prevent the most common source of failures - undetected leaks leading to overheating. There's a reason these are now mandatory on new vehicles.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
I do not take Discount Tire's Trailer Tire Facts as the Gospel, because in the first paragraph there are some statements that are just wrong:

Trailer Tire Applications
  • Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.
  • An "LT" designation on a trailer tire size specifies load range only. It is not designed for use on light trucks.
  • Do not mount "ST" or "LT" trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks.
An "LT" designated tire IS designed and intended for use on a Light Truck.

"LT" tires are supposed to be mounted on Light Trucks.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I do not take Discount Tire's Trailer Tire Facts as the Gospel, because in the first paragraph there are some statements that are just wrong:

Trailer Tire Applications
  • Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.
  • An "LT" designation on a trailer tire size specifies load range only. It is not designed for use on light trucks.
  • Do not mount "ST" or "LT" trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks.
An "LT" designated tire IS designed and intended for use on a Light Truck.

"LT" tires are supposed to be mounted on Light Trucks.

It is just information. Take what you what from it and leave the rest. What can you consider "Gospel" these days? Someone is allways trying to spin info to suit themselves or there bottom line. All a person can do is research and make the best choice for the situation that is in front of them. Good Luck!

Google LT vs ST tire. LT vs ST - Google Search

Would I run LT tires on a trailer? Maybe, If I need to.

Would I run ST tires on a truck? Not likely.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 09-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
All this tire searching on my part is driven by two things....the fact that people are continuing to have lots of trouble with "ST" tires, and a friend of mine found two Goodyear Marathon tires with tread seperation on his '07 25' Airstream. As far as other apearances, the tires look like new, and he estimates the tires have about 10,000 miles on them, max, and have never been run low on air pressure.

This type of premature tire failure is in my opinion, totally unexceptable.

I find it interesting that the minimum speed rating for any tire sold in the USA for any vehicle that carries human passengers is 87MPH, yet tires for a trailer pulled by a passenger hauling vehicle has tires rated for only 65MPH.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Considering the 65mph rating for ST tires, even the self appointed experts seem to get it wrong. See: How to Choose the Right Camper Tires & RV Tires

Where they say this about ST tires:

Camper and trailer tires are stamped with "ST" on the sidewall. The 'Special Trailer' (ST) tires are constructed for better high speed durability, extended towing time and damage resistance under heavy loads.

What are they thinking?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
"the fact that people are continuing to have lots of trouble with "ST" tires" is not a fact. There is no evidence to support that statement, only hearsay. If there was, the National Highway Safety Administration would have stepped in a long time ago.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
There is no evidence to support that statement, only hearsay. If there was, the National Highway Safety Administration would have stepped in a long time ago.
Ahab,

You obviously do not read all the threads on this forum about trailer tire failures, and I submit to you that my friend who found two GYM's on his '07 Airstream with seperations this weekend, is evidence enough for me.

And, the NHSA couldn't care less about trailer tire failures because nobody's pink little body is riding in them.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
"the fact that people are continuing to have lots of trouble with "ST" tires" is not a fact. There is no evidence to support that statement, only hearsay. If there was, the National Highway Safety Administration would have stepped in a long time ago.
We don't know. And considering the performance of FEMA with KATRINA, or the MMS with DeepWater Horizon, I wouldn't lay any bets about the responsibility of the Feds just because the statutes or laws say they should.

My take on ST tires is that they are cheap (they are, in price), that they're meant to hold up to years of sitting around by design, as well as having a pretty decent weight rating If, in fact, they are REALLY the ideal choice, I'd like to see some reasonable proof . . LT tires look better on many counts.

To the OP: I quit buying PIRELLI tires years ago due to customer service after the sale (warranty). I'd be careful about that aspect with any brand, but especially so with this one.

tires for a trailer pulled by a passenger hauling vehicle has tires rated for only 65MPH.

This is not absolute. See the GOODYEAR Marathon .pdf. They are good to 75+ in some situations (pressure/load dependent).

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
I see a lot of people saying LT tires are only for light trucks.
This is what is molded into my tire's.
"Goodyear 7.00-15LT Travel trailer Hi-Miler"
Just FYI.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Government regs for speed, wear and temperature are for passenger tires, not LT or ST tires. Some LT tires have been speed rated, but I don't believe it to be required. Thus a manufacturer may state something, but whether it's accurate is not known.

Now some light trucks and SUV's come with P (passenger) tires and some come with LT tires. It may be that what was once called LT are now called P for some reason.

You have to look beyond LT, P, and ST to know what to do. Lots of info is on retailer websites and manufacturer websites about tires.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Ok - every time these tire threads come up I get more confused.

Now my question -

If you do not like the GYM's because of the D load range and you want something to carry more weight, hence load range E, why not go with a load range E 15 inch tire and forgo buying 16 inch wheels? I do not mind putting money into my TT but it is not a bottomless bucket.

Safety should be a big portion of anything you do in life and buying tires for your beloved TT should be no excepton. Is it because the other tires are an unknown?

I found three different brands in a quick search showing 225-75-15 load range E. I know they will not carry as much as a 235-75-16 load range E but is the approx. 700lbs. difference (15's 2830 - 16's 3500) necessary. Isn't a load range E tire much more stiffer than a load range D? Airstreams want a soft ride (that is why there is so much written about the axles) and now when we get to the part where the trailer meets the road we stiffen her up. This is what gets confussing.

I understand, as it seems, that there are more problems with ST GYM's than other brands, IMHO it is because that, more than likely, there are more ST GYM's running down the highway. I don't know and I am sure this debate will be covered more and more as time goes on. But for what it's worth I have had my say.

I still do not know which tire I am going with but unless there is some very convincing data to back it up, I am going to stay with 15 inch wheels. Not the ones I currently have (originals I think) in the spring - new axles - wheels and tires. I will get off my box now.

Have a great Columbus Day weekend.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
Ok - every time these tire threads come up I get more confused.

Now my question -

If you do not like the GYM's because of the D load range and you want something to carry more weight, hence load range E, why not go with a load range E 15 inch tire and forgo buying 16 inch wheels? I do not mind putting money into my TT but it is not a bottomless bucket.
Almost all failures of the GYM's is not due to tire carcass failure (unable to carry the weight), it is because of tread seperation first, the tread being thrown off the tire, then the blowout.

Going to a load range E tire, would not help the problem in any way, unless you ran them at 80 lbs of pressure, and that would only make them run a little cooler. There are many people on here that won't even run the LR D's at 65 lbs because they want a soft ride.

I have a friend in our unit that recently had two Carlisle LR E's fail from tread seperation. I have another friend in our unit that recently found two, three year old GYM's with seperated treads on his trailer, fortunately before they failed.

The problem is, all ST tires are junk. That is my opinion, and I've been told the same thing by two different tire retailers. Then, one of them will not install anything but an ST tire if he knows it's going on a trailer because of liability reasons.

Our problem is as I see it, there are no LT tires made in 225/75 15 size. There are a couple of 235/75 15LT's made and a few 700/15, and one 7R15.

When my trailer tires need replacement next time, I will go to a 15" LT tire.