Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Some of those dent and bulges are manufacturing mold marks. If there are any irregular shaped marks or bulges then this is a problem.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
Our two tread separations on the OEM Marathons did not result in a blowout. Both were made in Canada. We replaced them with new Marathons, which were made in China. Goodyear prorated them on tread wear and treated us fairly. We have since put about 8,000 miles on the rig and watch both temperature and condition every time we stop.

We probably have close to 35,000 miles on the other two OEM tires.

Also purchased for a few dollars the dealers unlimited warranty (no proration) if we have ANY problems with the new ones.

I'd be more comfortable with a brand I have more confidence in, but we'll see how it goes on our winter trip.
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Ue-168

Jack Canavera,

Check out Unser Tire online. They have free shipping. I bought a 7th Maxxis UE168 (this is the tire you want) for my spare. I'd previously purchased six new ones in Knoxville, TN, for my new trailer.

The UE-168 is an excellent tire. It's a commercial truck tire that's also trailer rated, so it says LT and ST on it. It has three ply sidewalls. As in, it's really got three plys, not one like most. I got load range D. You can get E's if you want, or also C's I believe. I got 235/75-15, but you would probably want the 225-75-15.

I've pulled mine about 1400 miles so far and they look like brand new. No bulges or any of that nonsense.

At any rate, my local place could not get the tire, and so offered to mount it for me at the "used" tire price of $8. They normally charge $18 to mount one if you show up at their door with a new tire from somewhere else.

Anyway, you might try your local tire place and see if they'll do something similar. Or, just tell them about Unser tire online and let them order them for you. Just tell them you want the UE-168 and go from there.

I've never run Marathons. I had Carlisle on my old trailer and they did OK. But so far, I'm really liking these Maxxis. And yes, they're made in China. As are many of them anymore....

Take care,
Old 09-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Forgot the price

I forgot to mention...I paid $85 for the tire from Unser Tires. Actually the same price I paid at Go Forth tires, on I-40 outside of Knoxville.

I bought them hurriedly because it's what he had, but I got home and did some research and they seem to be a pretty good tire. Price is nearly half of what a Marathon costs too. So I think they're a good value. Just bought a set of covers for them when I'm not towing so hopefully that'll keep the UV at bay.

Maxxis Bravo UE168

I see they've gone up in the six weeks since I bought mine. Looks like $99 for the 235 and $116 now for the 225. You may want to look elsewhere. I paid $85 and got free shipping. But, they're still a better deal than Marathons.

BRAVO UE-168
ALL
NA
NA
NA
COMMERCIAL HWY
The UE-168 tire for commercial highway vehicles offers the ideal balance of safety and durability. A specially formulated compound and an enhanced tread design provide drivers with the confidence needed to make those long hauls.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
Double steel-belted construction for long-lasting wear and uniformity.

Jointless spiral-wrapped full nylon cap for added strength and stability.

Rib-type tread design with deep shoulder grooves provides all-season capability.

Continuous shoulder ribs provide smooth, even tread wear and increased tread life.

Premium rubber compound and extra plies resist cuts, punctures, and abrasions.

Extra heavy-duty sidewall construction delivers responsive handling and performance under demanding commercial applications..
M+S RATED
Old 09-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
marathons???

This may be a dumb question but why do people continue to buy marathons when they fail so often.I use firestone lemans LT all terain tirse on my 86 32 with 25,000 miles on them and previously the same style on my 73 31 without a single failure.???
also the main reason for useing strictly trailor tires is for the stiffer sidewalls that prevent tire failure from top sway which airstreams do not have.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote