Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #21
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
As Clint said, "Do you feel lucky?" You should...why would anyone traveling with an AS, not heed the experts advice...quality tires, use Mfg. PSI recommendations for "your trailers actual weights", and replace every 4-5 years regardless of how they look from the outside...just makes sense to be safe with your family...and your investment, right?

As Craig said - "...sitting in his driveway or hunting camp...", so why change tires until closer to time for a road trip?

And you're pushing the tire industry recco's to change trailer tires down from 5-6 years (differing studies & reports) - down to 4-5 years to change out now!?

BTW - ours has been sitting in the driveway since Sept 2018, so it's also awaiting reshodding the Maxxis tires for when we'll actually take it on our next road trip, & the tire shop is only 2 miles away at 30-35 mph city streets.

It makes no sense to change out tires like clockwork, when the trailer will sit in off-season, in storage, for stationary use, etc.

That just wastes their useful life!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I'm a diligent tire maintainer, all were checked almost daily.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatwnguy View Post
I have a 2017 30' Airstream International with Goodyear Marathons that need to be replaced. Considering Carlisle Brand Radial Trail HD, or Goodyear Endurance. Price is not a factor. Will value Air Forums opinions on best radial tires to purchase.
Good year endurance MADE IN THE USA.....no china tires on anything
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
As Craig said - "...sitting in his driveway or hunting camp...", so why change tires until closer to time for a road trip?

And you're pushing the tire industry recco's to change trailer tires down from 5-6 years (differing studies & reports) - down to 4-5 years to change out now!?

BTW - ours has been sitting in the driveway since Sept 2018, so it's also awaiting reshodding the Maxxis tires for when we'll actually take it on our next road trip, & the tire shop is only 2 miles away at 30-35 mph city streets.

It makes no sense to change out tires like clockwork, when the trailer will sit in off-season, in storage, for stationary use, etc.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Not arguing with you; I don't care how long you keep your tires nor at what pressure you want to run them. ...there are folks on the Forum (recently) who have had tires go bad after just 3 years in hot weather exposure...if you've ever had a blowout, or seen the damage from one, then you know the potential damage or accidents that can happen. It's not change out tires like "clockwork" I'm advocating, just common sense...many folks don't use a TPMS system yet either nor check their PSI regularly before each trip...you never know what shape your tires are in "under the surface"; all you can do is apply your good sense...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
heed the experts advice...

, and replace every 4-5 years regardless of how they look from the outside...
etrailer:

Generally trailer tires should be replaced every 5 to 6 years regardless of mileage and use. This "clock" can be started once the tires are mounted to your trailer, assuming they were stored in a controlled environment between the manufacturer date and the day they were mounted.

And notice they did temper that with "generally." Even that is not a hard and fast rule. I personally think pushing that limit with quality tires, such as Maxxis, isn't out of line.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
We replaced 5 year old maxx with endurance 10 ply great tires
Look where they are made...lol
Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Carlisle=junk
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:20 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Warning: GYE's require HIGH PRESSURE VALVE STEMS

Lots of opinions. I threw in with the GY Endurance crowd. So far so good (estimate ~7k so far) on my first set.

One critical caveat - GY Endurance requires "high pressure" valve stems. I paid for them with my set, but the shop installed low-pressure stems by mistake. I learned a hard lesson. This is an important detail not to overlook.

If you go down this road be smart and buy metal valve stems. Also, be smart and buy a tire pressure monitoring system for greater peace of mind.

This was my GYE valve stem related tire failure saga - my lesson on 'high pressure' valve stem requirements

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ed-197502.html:
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #29
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
Without a doubt.....Goodyear Endurance tires. Even though you will never drive 87 mph with your RV, Goodyear Endurance are rated at 87 mph which means they can take the heat build up at 87 mph. From my expierence the heat build up and under inflation to dissipate that heat is what caused my trailer blow outs....until I put the Goodyear Endurance tires on and the problem seemed to immediately resolve itself. Well worth any additional money the Endurance tires might be.

Just my $.02
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
I put the GYEs on our 34' Classic 18 months ago when nobody knew if they were any good or not. They have been terrific. Made a trip this summer from AZ to ME and back...plus the other 5000 miles we have put on traveling around the southwest.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #31
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Endurance by Goodyear

After having 4 sets of Maxxis 15in. Tires I switched because of belt separation after they became three years old from the posted Mfg. date. Luckily they were covered by Discount Tires warranty. I had belt separation on all four sets.
I also like the Endurance because the tire is rated as a “D” or “E” by just increasing the air pressure. It is also speed rated @ 85 mph rather than the 65 mph which all others are rated at.
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #32

1987 27' Sovereign
La Canada , California
Pro Shop in So Cal

Quote:
We've been running Maxxis M8008 ST tires for 7+ years now, & they were recommended by a guy who does a lot of vintage trailer restorations (pro shop in SoCal).

Try these - better than Carlisle, GYE, GYM, etc. IMHO -

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-...t-radial-m8008

Happy Holidays!
Tom
///////
Tom T,
Would you be willing to share the info for the vintage restorer in SoCal? I am looking to restore an ‘87 Sovereign. Thank you.
Linda Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by let's play View Post
I purchased Carlisle ST tires, 4 for the Airstream, 6 for the boat trailer.

My Airstream is stored outside in northern Illinois 365 days a year. I experienced major dry rot and sidewall cracking in 3.5 years, other than that, I liked the tires.

My boat trailer is stored indoors Sept-May, outside in northern Illinois 3 summer months. All tires showed signs of dry rot and sidewall cracking within 4 years, other than that i liked the tires.

My conversation with Carlisle about warranty was "2 year warranty, no prorate, no goodwill, zip nada nothing." That's 10 tires folks, that IMO should have held together better. That is only 3 seasons of usage. And, all the tires enjoyed liberal use of 303 protectant, I do not use the common wet look distilliate products on the market.

Carlisle will no longer be on any of my trailers.

All of my marathons to date, those two trailers and 2 work trailers, outlasted their predicted life by double. I went with carlisle on a recommendation and got burned.

maybe if you covered the tires as outlined in my RV Tire Safety blog you could cut back on your "dry rot" due to heat, which is a sign of accelerated aging of the sidewall rubber.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
maybe if you covered the tires as outlined in my RV Tire Safety blog you could cut back on your "dry rot" due to heat, which is a sign of accelerated aging of the sidewall rubber.
Made in Chen’s...
Old 01-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I have Carlisles on my current trailer because they were all that was available when I needed replacements in a remote location (they were in stock at Wal-Mart... the only thing I've purchased at Walmart in two decades). They are going on their third year and seem to be holding up well, but now I'm worried hearing "let's play's" experience!

I remember the Carlisle's being very "affordable" (especially for a 10 ply ST), so if cost isn't a factor, as your post suggests, probably good to go with something else.
..made in china...I get my endurance good years...made in USA.. at wallmart
Old 01-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:

Cheers!
Tom
///////
...yep. Max is...where are yours made? Good luck with that...when one blows out doing 70...I have seen $11,000 damage...before they got stopped another one blew...a few yrs ago on an rv site...they go bad sitting there...I have never had any problems with American tires...
Old 01-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specsalot View Post
Lots of opinions. I threw in with the GY Endurance crowd. So far so good (estimate ~7k so far) on my first set.

One critical caveat - GY Endurance requires "high pressure" valve stems. I paid for them with my set, but the shop installed low-pressure stems by mistake. I learned a hard lesson. This is an important detail not to overlook.

If you go down this road be smart and buy metal valve stems. Also, be smart and buy a tire pressure monitoring system for greater peace of mind.

This was my GYE valve stem related tire failure saga - my lesson on 'high pressure' valve stem requirements

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ed-197502.html:
They really aren’t high pressure...the rubber ones are made in china and are junk...I had this problem before...
Old 01-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #38
DaddyMac

2016 16' Sport
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Vestavia , Alabama
Goodyear Endurance recommendation

[QUOTE=seatwnguy;2318519]I have a 2017 30' Airstream International with Goodyear Marathons that need to be replaced. Considering Carlisle Brand Radial Trail HD, or Goodyear Endurance.

My 2016 Bambi Sport came w/Marathons and I changed over to Goodyear Endurance three months ago and they ride fine and actually hold 15 pounds more @65 PSI. Purchased on Amazon & had Firestone mount & balance. Also Endurance made in Alabama plant instead of China like Marathons.
DaddyMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyMac54 View Post
My 2016 Bambi Sport came w/Marathons and I changed over to Goodyear Endurance three months ago and they ride fine and actually hold 15 pounds more @65 PSI. Purchased on Amazon & had Firestone mount & balance. Also Endurance made in Alabama plant instead of China like Marathons.

It should be pointed out (as it has been in many threads and comments before)... just because a tire *can* hold 65psi, doesn't mean it should. The Max PSI rating is just that: the *maximum* the tire can safely hold. The actual PSI in the tire should be based on the active weight of the trailer, and the terrain being traversed.

The tires on my Jeep are great LT tires rated to hold up to 80psi, but Jeep recommends the tires be inflated to 44psi (there is a sticker inside the door of most vehicles with the manufacturers recommend PSI; it should also be in the vehicle manual). I run the pressure a little higher for the tasks at hand, but I certainly do not keep the tires on my Jeep at 80psi.

kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We run 16’ Michelin Ribs they are as good as it gets when it comes to trailer tires.Removed the last set due to age with over 50,000 miles and they showed no wear.Made in Germany and come with a 6 year warranty from Michelin.I run 68psi cold on our 28ft International.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote