Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Laguna Woods , California
Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire

Have any readers had experience with the Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tires?

I have a 2016 Sport 22fb and now considering Carlisle as a replacement tire. My size is ST225/75R15.

Would appreciate your comments regarding this tire.
jeffshetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Ten years or so ago, I had all four Carlisles fail catastrophically within a thousand miles of each other. All were less than three years old and had about 7500 miles on them.

All blew out at highway speed ( for me, around 65) and all failed on hot, Florida asphalt.

Are they different now? Probably. Are they better? Maybe. Would I buy them again? No.

With my current trailer, just put on my second set of Goodyear Endurance. First set went just under 10000 miles in four years and looked fine when removed due to age.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Laguna Woods , California
Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire

Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware of the need to replace trailer tires at around 4 years old. I currently have Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer that are a little over 3 years old with 21,000 miles. Good shape. No cracks. Normal tread wear.

Going to Canada in August. Total trip approximately 5,000 miles. Now considering to wait to replace tires until after Canada and prior to 4 years of use. Will replace with GYE's (not Carlisle's).

How many miles can I expect the GYE's to be ok under normal use. I'm guessing around 30,000. Your thoughts on replacing now or waiting until after Canada.
jeffshetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I bought a set of four new Carlisles for my trailer just before my cross country trip, seven years ago. I got my first flat tire ever, on my trailer, about two weeks ago. I think they are good tires, but this time, I bought five Goodyear Endurance tires. Mostly because of good reviews and made in USA.

On my Alaska trip, I chose not to replace my tires because of the road conditions, I didn't want to tear up new tires. I, at this time, had two seven year old Marathons on my trailer and they both had shown signs of seperation at different times. I bought one Carlisle and one Marathon because when you are in the middle of no-where, you buy what they have.

On my tow vehicle, 2000 Lincoln Navigator, we stopped in Montana for new tires. This was on our way back home in Southern California from Alaska. I had good tires when we left our home, but the gravel roads ate them up.

I think the Carlisles are good tires. Goodyear Endurance, in our size, only comes in Load "E" so I run them at 65 lbs. pressure, same as I did my load "D" tires.

Answer to your questions. I would keep those tires on your trailer for his trip. I don't believe that you will ever wear out trailer tires before you time them out. For me the magic number is seven years, but that is pushing it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I had Carlisle’s both separated treads at the beginning of their third year . Never again !

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Ft. Pierce , Florida
Rivet

I had original Goodyear marathons on the trailer (2016 19’) with about 30000 miles on them. They looked great so I decided to take one more trip west with them. I got to the bottom of the switch back heavy drive on the western slope of Bighorn and stopped to see some scenery. We started of and I noticed the trailer bouncin and found it had grown an appendage. We pulled over to a wider spot and that’s when it blew. Got lucky as the seam that blew out was against the pavement. They were about 3 years old. New tires in Bozeman. Don’t remember the brand but, as the other poster said, they were what was there. We used them for about 3 years and they appeared in good shape and had little use. We started another short trip and blew a tire about 1 mile into our trip. The local dealer had a set of Endurance and that’s what got installed. We had a set of 5 Marathons on our center console and blew all but 1 on a trip to/from the keys. I replaced them with Carlisles and they’re still running great. Had Carlisles prior to the marathons and they gave good service as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Carlisle. I’ll use the Endurance for awhile before I comment, but they seem to be riding good and have good reviews. And just so you know, we drive about 60 when towing.
FLCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshetler View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware of the need to replace trailer tires at around 4 years old. I currently have Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer that are a little over 3 years old with 21,000 miles. Good shape. No cracks. Normal tread wear.

Going to Canada in August. Total trip approximately 5,000 miles. Now considering to wait to replace tires until after Canada and prior to 4 years of use. Will replace with GYE's (not Carlisle's).

How many miles can I expect the GYE's to be ok under normal use. I'm guessing around 30,000. Your thoughts on replacing now or waiting until after Canada.

I’d swap them out after the Canada trip. Start off 2023 with nice new tires…
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote