Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Carlisle -- made in USA??

Had to replace one of my Carlisles today (road hazard loss on I-75). Went to Southern Tire in Tampa and they hooked me up...

But -- unloading the new tire out of the truck, I noticed that it is "made in the USA" vice my other three (all "made in China").

Thought they were all imported.

mike
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I am not sure...but I have 4 on the ground and really like them!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
So far, mine have been okay. Wanted to go to LT tires at the last change but once I figured out what new wheels would cost in addition to the tires, I went with these. So far, about 15 thousand miles with no faults (my recent loss was debris-caused).

We'll see how these work out in the long run.

Very happy that I had my Pressure Pro up and running -- gave me time to get safely off the road.

mike
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I recently purchased 4 Carlsile ST 225/75/R15D tires after receiving assurances from the dealer that they were made in USA. The DOT code "AQ" on the tires reveals that they were made by the Meiyan Tire Company, Meixian, Guangdong, China.

The required country of origin is in very small print along the tire bead, which is not visible when the tire is mounted on the wheel.

I prefer to buy domestic products, but must admit that I've been running Chinese Marathons on my Bambi for over 2 years without any problems.

Perhaps they'll become less common in the future with the new 35% import tax on Chinese tires.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
To answer your question in short...No.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for American made tires for my "new" 75 Trade Wind I acquired about 2 months ago. After much research what I found was that Carlisle 7.00 x 15 tires are manufactured in China, as I contacted them directly asking your exact question. Goodyear Marathons are now made in America, however I was not able to find any American made versions where I'm located, they were all still Chinese stock. Denman have a good reputation, and I think are still made in America, however I could only find 2 (225/75/R15) available now, had to wait one month+ to get the other two I needed.

I ended up purchasing Maxxis (225/75/R15 "D" rated) that are made in Thailand. I went with Maxxis due to a fair price, availability, and really good forum user's experience. My next tires will be GYM if still made in USA, unless I have good results with the Maxxis tires and they are made in USA by that time. I hope the 35% tariff will cause tire manufactures to come back to the US, unfortunately it will probably just cause them to go elsewhere, not necessarily the US.

-Eric
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires