Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I have the airstream at the dealer now, and I'm not certain of the tire width #, I would guess it's a 205 X65, or X70. The hitch I have came with the airstream, but not the receiver. It has the load equalizer bars, and the ball is not on an adjustable track it's welded. To adjust the ball, I'd have to get a new hitch assembly with the slots for the load equalizer bars. That would run $290 at the dealer. I only went up an on my TV tires by little less then an inch, and it road fairly level last year, so I don't think I need to gain that much. Since I have to get new tires anyway, and they have to be taller then what I have now, I think I'll wait to see how level it is with my existing hitch. The tires have to help some. I may be able to get a better deal online if I need the hitch. It would seem that the tallest trailer tire I can get is the 235 X 75 in 15 inch, and that's still lower in profile then what most likely came on the unit new, so I'm leaning towards going that way. If I do this would it be best to go with D's for additional sidewall support, or would D's make the ride noticeably rougher?
Thanks for all the input.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
D's or C's --- I would make that decision based on load. Lilely I would use the same load range that came with the unit.

With that said, I would weigh the trailer, add weight for full water tanks and waste tanks, propane and add some more for gear that isn't on the trailer that I take with me. (OR load the gear in as if I were going camping and then weigh the trailer) And finally add 10% to that figure.

Then divide that weight # by the # of tires. This is the amount each tire would be asked to handle. Find a tire load rating that is just over that final number. Be it C or D.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Thanks for all the advise from everyone. I ended up having them put 225 75 15's in load range C on it. My 25' Excella is one of the lighter 25' models made at only 3600 dry, so I think D's might have made the ride a little too stiff. We did gain about an inch over the 205's that the PO had on it. I stopped by today to look at the Rock Guard that the dealer had ordered, but they'll have to customize it to make it fit. Due to this they have to keep the trailer another week, and I won't be able to tell if the tires were enough to level the trailer until then.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote