Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I changed 6 tires on my 34' a couple weeks ago. Ordered tires online, delivered next day.
On a level surface, I jacked up one side of the trailer using a bottle jack. (stabilizers up) Placed the jack on the reinforced area of the frame where the axles mount. Took off 3 tires on one side and placed solid wood blocking on each side of the jack beneath that axle mount. Then let the frame down onto the wood. Repeated on the other side. Took everything to the tire shop all at once. It took 3 hours, including jack up and jack down.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I didn't use the jack points <gasp>.
There're not as convenient as they seem, first you need to lay under the trailer, and then Airstream may have run water or gas lines right through that area. IF I used the jack points, yes, I'd put a block of wood on the jack.
Be very careful when using the jack points. The marker plate may be poorly installed and not properly centered on the trailer frame. This could cause the jack to slip out. Ask me how I know. Yes, definitely use a wood block.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Be very careful when using the jack points. The marker plate may be poorly installed and not properly centered on the trailer frame. This could cause the jack to slip out. Ask me how I know. Yes, definitely use a wood block.
Excellent point
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Brad1 (first post), it looks like you live in Aptos, CA. (For those of you who don't know, that is close to the epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake, northern California's last major quake.) I don't think you want to remove all wheels at the same time as some have recommended in the unlikely event of a strong earthquake. The other methods recommended should leave the trailer stable enough while you are off at the tire store.

Tim
I actually thought of this when considering doing all four tires at once. When the Lomé earthquake hit our neighborhood had a LOT of movement!
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Can I get away with changing two tires at a time?

Stability when working under a trailer is very important. Changing out only one axle worth of wheels at once or doing other work like that is much safer. Big sturdy jack stands can be used to stabilize the trailer. I don’t trust just one support system to keep my butt safe working on stuff that outweighs me by several tons...crush injuries are painful!

And, as Maxwell Smart said it, “everyone is entitled to at least one fatal error.”

Don’t even get close to using your entitlement. Be careful.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote