Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
bulging tires on single axle Globetrotter

I bought Centramatic wheel balancers from Inland and installed them this morning. While inspecting the starboard tire I noticed a bulge on the backside of the tire, where unless removed, I'd have never have noticed.

Boy, am I glad I caught it. The tires are trailer rated 4 ply radials - Denman's to be specific. The p/o bought (3) brand new tires. I took my brand new spare tire and put it in place of the bulging tire.

I checked the mfg. dates and they're 2005. So 5 years old. My plan this summer is to take shorter trips within a 100 - 150 mile range and at end of summer replacing at least (2) if not all (3) with a premium brand tire.

Here is a picture of what my tire looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp bulgingtire.bmp (1.37 MB, 98 views)
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would not drive the trailer more then the distance to the closest tire dealer. The tire is showing signs of separation and it is a 5 year old tire. If the tire blows while going down the road, the damage could be many times the price of a new tire.

Why not switch the bad tire out with the spare. Then replace that tire with one of your choosing. At the end of the summer you could then replace the two remaining originals.

This could save you a lot of money in the long run...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I second that...bulges are almost guaranteed to blowout in summer towing...you DONT want one of those at 65 mph, ESPECIALLY on a single axle.... I had one on my last trip and must be living right, 'cuz we escaped w/o incident..but it could have been a disaster....hate to sound like a scardey-cat, but dem's my 2c anyway...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
I bought Centramatic wheel balancers from Inland and installed them this morning. While inspecting the starboard tire I noticed a bulge on the backside of the tire, where unless removed, I'd have never have noticed.

Boy, am I glad I caught it. The tires are trailer rated 4 ply radials - Denman's to be specific. The p/o bought (3) brand new tires. I took my brand new spare tire and put it in place of the bulging tire.

I checked the mfg. dates and they're 2005. So 5 years old. My plan this summer is to take shorter trips within a 100 - 150 mile range and at end of summer replacing at least (2) if not all (3) with a premium brand tire.

Here is a picture of what my tire looks like.
The proper tire rating for your Airstream, is load range "D", or 8 ply.

Anything less is not good.

5 year old tires, have served their lifetime. It's time to say adious to them, for safety reasons.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Any "bulge" is a reason to replace the tire now. However, from your photo, I'm not sure that's a bulge. It looks more like a "dip." This could be from the manufacturing process and if so is not a reason for concern. Roger

Here is previous discussion: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...hon-45192.html
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Thanks - new tires it will be.
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote