Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #21
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
We took our brake issue to JC from Central Florida. It was worth the trip. They fixed every little issue plus the brakes in 3 hours. Great people and know their stuff. Get it done right and just once.
JHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , TN
Thanks for you input
I went back into my "Captain's Log" and did the math and it turns out we had just over 8,000 miles on these original 2017 tires so less than the 5 yr max and no sign of trouble, we were planning on replacing them with the Endurance tires before the next season, we are not full timers we use the trailer when we can and look forward to retiring with it.
zebsbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , TN
We totally agree that JC is our best choice and it is close enough, we actually had some other service done there and really enjoyed the experience, even took the factory tour which was fascinating.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
Body panel replacement

In addition to JC, I would highly recommend Out of Doors Mart in Greensboro, NC. About 8 hours from you. I have had three panels replaced over the years by ODM. They are well trained experienced craftsmen and do this work all the time. May get a better schedule than JC. Just a suggestion.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebsbro View Post
Thanks for you input
I went back into my "Captain's Log" and did the math and it turns out we had just over 8,000 miles on these original 2017 tires so less than the 5 yr max and no sign of trouble, we were planning on replacing them with the Endurance tires before the next season, we are not full timers we use the trailer when we can and look forward to retiring with it.
The tires on your 2017 could have been manufactured in 2016. Mine were for my 2017 International. The DOT stamp will tell you.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
If you are looking to repair with buck rivets go to JC if you don't mind olympic rivets ( they tend to leak and are not as strong) Out of Doors Mart in Colfax NC (they are right off I-40) does quality repair work.

Steve
Are "Buck Rivets" even possible in a repair scenario?
when the interior is already finished out
Old 09-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
In addition to JC, I would highly recommend Out of Doors Mart in Greensboro, NC. About 8 hours from you. I have had three panels replaced over the years by ODM. They are well trained experienced craftsmen and do this work all the time. May get a better schedule than JC. Just a suggestion.
Thanks it is always good to have options.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
It seems that if the wheel/rim hit the pavement at all, prudence would dictate a new wheel. Damage might to difficult to detect.

And if the OP ever had a hankering to move to 16-inch wheels, now would be the time.
Out of round rims are a PITA for sure need replacement if so
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Been there from TX...your only in TN...not that far to JC...we are going again for rear panel body damage in October for a week. Wish I was only in TN...long trip for us. Your GY Marathons (made in China- Marabombs) should have been replaced years ago...most of us with 15" wheels, are using the GY Endurance now...made in USA. Many threads on this topic...Good luck!
I was wrong on my mileage we only had a bit over 8,000 miles on then and about 4 running years, we planed on replacing them this fall but were not expecting a blow out we thought we were being proactive already.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:12 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Travel View Post
It looks like you had a TPMS (Tire Minder?) on the valve stem. Was it functioning? Did it throw a warning? I don’t know if they offer protection through their product or hopefully, there’s insurance.

In any case, I agree with previous posts that I wouldn’t leave this work to anyone. I’d take it to the factory or a factory approved center. Good luck.
Yes we do have the TireMinder I just added it this year it was our second trip using it so still a rookie, on our first trip using the minder(to gulf coast and back) we did get a pressure alert on one tire (but both trailer tires were up by 10 degrees) it alerted at 80 and I pulled over and let 5 pounds out of both tires, and kept an eye on them but no other trouble on that trip, on the last trip, I cold filled them a few pounds light to 63 just to give a margin, the minder alerted just before the blowout, I wanted to get to the next exit to check it out but it blew out a few minutes later before we could get off the freeway.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
It seems that if the wheel/rim hit the pavement at all, prudence would dictate a new wheel. Damage might to difficult to detect.

And if the OP ever had a hankering to move to 16-inch wheels, now would be the time.
It is something I have considered, how much of an advantage is it to go to 16" rather than replace with GYE tires? I don't have any idea what the cost to go 16" is but I suspect it is a bunch, but given the damage caused by this blowout I will do all I possibly can to prevent it from ever happening again.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Backing up a bit ....

15K miles and 5 years is *not* a lot on a set of tires. I agree that watching things is a good thing to do. It does suggest that these are not the best of the best tires.

How much damage is there? Is the trailer safe to tow with a new wheel and tire? I think some careful examination is in order before it goes very far at all.

Distance wise, JC is as close as ( or closer than) any of the options. They also have access to various bits and pieces that just might be needed as part of the repair.

Regardless of deductible, this is a "talk to the insurance guy" level of damage. How much of it will be covered depends a lot on your policy.

Bob
It turns out it was a bit over 8,000 miles and not quite 5 yrs I am considering replacing now every 3 yrs as that is better than dealing with the wounds of a blowout which you never see coming.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:27 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Tire Pressure

I’m so sorry this happened to you, something we are all trying to avoid. Im assuming that the recommended cold inflation pressure was 80, what did you like to set your cold inflation pressure at? It sounds you set it lower to begin with and then let out some air when your alarm went off at 80 psi as the tire was heating up (this action, ie decreasing psi, might have caused further heat builtup and increased risk for tire failure. There is another post in this weeks airstream email that is debating this issue, your info is very relevant.
MandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yes we do have the TireMinder I just added it this year it was our second trip using it so still a rookie, on our first trip using the minder(to gulf coast and back) we did get a pressure alert on one tire (but both trailer tires were up by 10 degrees) it alerted at 80 and I pulled over and let 5 pounds out of both tires, and kept an eye on them but no other trouble on that trip, on the last trip, I cold filled them a few pounds light to 63 just to give a margin, the minder alerted just before the blowout, I wanted to get to the next exit to check it out but it blew out a few minutes later before we could get off the freeway.
Hi

The way I read that, the tires heated up and you dropped pressure when they were hot.....

You do *not* adjust pressure on a hot tire. The pressure numbers are for a cold tire. They already allow for the normal increase in pressure as the tire heats up. If you drop the pressure when hot, you will be running under inflated. This is a way to cause a blowout on an otherwise good tire ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
It is something I have considered, how much of an advantage is it to go to 16" rather than replace with GYE tires? I don't have any idea what the cost to go 16" is but I suspect it is a bunch, but given the damage caused by this blowout I will do all I possibly can to prevent it from ever happening again.
4th AS; never made the investment in 16" wheels; why?? Michelin used to make a 15" Defender LT which many of us used...then they stopped offering the LT version several years ago, and only offered it in 16". Since AS was also offering 16" wheels with the Michelins on some new models (Classic, Tommy Bahama's, etc.) and they also offered the Michelins to customers who had 16" wheels, many opted to move to 16" wheels to get those LT tires...at the time, Goodyear was having terrible luck with the China made, Marathons...many of us had blowouts...along comes the 15" "made in USA" Endurance ST tires..no reason to switch; great tires....only reason to go up to 16" wheels is if you want the LT rated Michelins and perhaps 1/2" clearance/height for some reason?? The Endurance 15" are giving many of us great ride/service and they are less expensive for sure...if you consider the cost of new 16" wheels and cost of the Michelins, it is an expense not necessary, IMHO.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
We had the Dreaded blow out this weekend, original marathon 15" tires with approximately 15,000 logged miles on tires, we were on I 24 going 55MPH, on one hand the rig (2017 FC20FB F150 Crew) handled the situation better than I expected, no flailing around etc we pulled over immediately and at first it didn't look that bad, then I saw the rip in the side. so the question is with this kind of damage what are our options, we live in Nashville so Jackson Center is a long trip to do twice (drop off - pick up) but is there a trustworthy place closer to get it fixed?

"Blowout" is a misnomer that just means the tire failed bit I don't know why.

Tires can fail for a variety of reasons from puncture, wear out, Belt separation. sidewall flex failure or what I think happened to the subject tire Impact Break.