Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
The cones look good! I am thinking about a bit of silicon applied in the space around the stem to support it.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:51 PM   #162
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
This is a great idea.

Where does one find rubber cone washers?

Why are you asking for tire valve washers? These are special shape that usually are provided when you purchase bolt in metal valves. I don't ever remember seeing these specialty items in any regular hardware store but do remember seeing wherever bolt in metal valve stems are sold (auto parts stores)
Old 07-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #163
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Why are you asking for tire valve washers? These are special shape that usually are provided when you purchase bolt in metal valves. I don't ever remember seeing these specialty items in any regular hardware store but do remember seeing wherever bolt in metal valve stems are sold (auto parts stores)

The cone washers are a temporary hack to reduce flex when using rubber stems, not metal stems.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #164
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I recently had a blow-out, which was ironic because despite the Goodyear's having great tread, they were 3 years old and I was starting to feel it was time to replace them. I had been using the TST system with the stock rubber valve stems. However, last year when I purchased my new truck, it came with the optional trailer TPMS metal stems. So when I had the tires replaced, they installed the new TPMS/valves along with the tires. I'm actually quite happy that the system is now integrated into the truck because I hated having all those devices plugged in and taking up room everywhere on trips. But I didn't really notice any difference using the rubber stems.

I am evaluating both TST and TireTraker systems and both monitors run all day long off the battery internal to the monitor, so no need to plug the monitor in or run cable while driving. When i stop for the night I shut the monitors off but plug them into USB port in my RV.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:48 PM   #165
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloBuckeye View Post
The cone washers are a temporary hack to reduce flex when using rubber stems, not metal stems.

OK I guess that is good preventive measure to cut back on the vibration seen with rubber stems (both standard and "High Pressure" stems.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #166
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
The cones look good! I am thinking about a bit of silicon applied in the space around the stem to support it.

Silicon might work. Have no data so just a guess. Remember you will beed to completely remove the silicone when it comes time to install the bolt in stems.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:09 PM   #167
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Riverdale , New York
Don’t know which to buy, but what not to buy: Blueskysea U8B6 TPMS Tire Pressure from Bezo’s bargain basement.

It was half the price of the TST507. Unfortunately, cannot be read in direct sunlight or even shade, only at night. I mounted the repeater, but still the readings drop out or give false alerts. No on/off switch for when you don’t want to drain the battery. And a manual that was written in language that could only charitably be described as pigeon English.
FalkTheHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:48 AM   #168
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I had a mobile tire service meet me at my Airstream to install Dill 902-W metal valve stems. It was quick and easy, and it was $65 to have four stems installed. There were rub marks on my wheels from my TPMS sensors rubbing with the OE valve stems, so I’m glad I had this done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63157201-0EAB-4DA1-B1B2-0089D4D90631.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	403016  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #169
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Tuson TPMS. Their display supports up to three different vehicles, each with ten sensors.

Sensors 0 to 9
Sensors 10 to 19
Sensors 20 to 29

Bright clear display

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:33 PM   #170
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Oak Ridge , Tennessee
I've been reading this thread trying to decide on a TPMS for our 25', dual axle camper. The EEZ seems to be a favorite and I'll probably go with it, but I have a quick question for y'all. My 2017 Chevy 2500 has its own TPMS. Would it make sense to go ahead and get four sensors for the truck along with the four for the camper? That way all 8 tires will be monitored on the same display. Is that overkill and a waste of money? Is it even doable without impacting the existing TPMS?

Thanks.
billhenry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No need for 2 types of sensors on the truck.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:29 AM   #172
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
To billhenry58: I run a 10 sensor TST system. The two extras are on the spares for the truck and trailer. In my case, the factory TPMS warning level on the Tundra is way too low for my towing setup. Your setup may or may not have that issue. If I had a tire issue with the Tundra and waited for the factory TPMS to alert me I think I would be in trouble. I like the fact that all 10 sensors are reporting to one screen. I like having temperatures, too, but the safety factor comes from being able to program the pressure alert thresholds and that makes it worth it to me.

As for interference, the factory sensors are inside the wheels and I use cap sensors for the TST. No interference.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Maybe I have been lucky (?) with rubber stems over the past 4 years and my TST TPMS systems...55K miles on the AS now, second set of GYE's; no issues. Good reporting with the repeater mounted on the A frame, adjacent to the battery box. Run my GYE tires at 58-60PSI cold. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stem.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	406234  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #174
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhenry58 View Post
I've been reading this thread trying to decide on a TPMS for our 25', dual axle camper. The EEZ seems to be a favorite and I'll probably go with it, but I have a quick question for y'all. My 2017 Chevy 2500 has its own TPMS. Would it make sense to go ahead and get four sensors for the truck along with the four for the camper? That way all 8 tires will be monitored on the same display. Is that overkill and a waste of money? Is it even doable without impacting the existing TPMS?

Thanks.
Most of the "better" aftermarket TPM systems have displays for 10 sensors. Some even more. I think having all your tires reporting on a single monitor and having the ability to set your own low pressure warning level is a big plus. FYI For the past 3 years I have been running the only direct comparison test of TPMS I have heard of.. TireTraker and TST. They both have worked as advertised when Ambient has ranged from 24F to 95F and give almost identical readings except for the expected 25F difference for internal (TST) vs External (TireTraker). I can recommend both systems.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #175
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Maybe I have been lucky (?) with rubber stems over the past 4 years and my TST TPMS systems...55K miles on the AS now, second set of GYE's; no issues. Good reporting with the repeater mounted on the A frame, adjacent to the battery box. Run my GYE tires at 58-60PSI cold. YMMV

Yes you have been lucky. You could have rubber stems like this. https://youtu.be/G-R3-MNaFB4

or this

Old 10-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Cool

Quote:
Yes you have been lucky. You could have rubber stems like this. https://youtu.be/G-R3-MNaFB4

or this

I watch my wheels and tires closely and would never let my wheels nor valve stems get that old or weathered..were those from your wheels?? Certainly does not pertain to my TPMS rubber stems. See post 173...that is how mine look...and as I mentioned, no issues.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #177
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I watch my wheels and tires closely and would never let my wheels nor valve stems get that old or weathered..were those from your wheels?? Certainly does not pertain to my TPMS rubber stems. See post 173...that is how mine look...and as I mentioned, no issues.

Yes that was an ugly wheel and valve. Not mine. Just one I found. Here is a "Hi-Pressure" rubber valve in better condition but it also failed from vibration due to a TPMS.
https://youtu.be/G-R3-MNaFB4
Old 10-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #178
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Yes that was an ugly wheel and valve. Not mine. Just one I found. Here is a "Hi-Pressure" rubber valve in better condition but it also failed from vibration due to a TPMS.
https://youtu.be/G-R3-MNaFB4
I have at least 2 failed valve stems very similar to the you tube vid. They did NOT have TPMS on them. They failed while the trailer was parked. (Thankfully)

The tires are old so the stems will be replaced with new tires.

Never knew the rubber stems could fail like that.

Action
Old 10-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #179
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I have at least 2 failed valve stems very similar to the you tube vid. They did NOT have TPMS on them. They failed while the trailer was parked. (Thankfully)

The tires are old so the stems will be replaced with new tires.

Never knew the rubber stems could fail like that.

Action

It is recommended that standard rubber snap in stems be replaced with new whenever you get new tires.

Bolt in stems could have their rubber grommets replaced every 10 years as when you change other rubber parts on your car such as fan belts, hoses etc.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #180
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I think I will insist on bolt in stems.
Likely will cost more, and I am OK with that

Action