Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
What does it give the audio alert through, the radio?

A speaker built into the USB stick. Super simple and effective
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:17 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I'm waiting for when my tires have to be replaced. My 2020 Silverado came with four TPM stems. They then hook directly into the existing TPM system. Right now I have the TST system and while I like it, it's just one more thing to mount somewhere, and I've run out of 12v jacks for the system, so now I have a spliter that I need so I can have it and the backup camera running (all these newer trucks have reduced the number of 12v accessory plugs in favor of more USB/USB-c ports).
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:40 AM   #103
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I you the BLU system and have the booster but don’t need it . We have a 25’ airstream so the the signal works well. I had an old iPhone 5 so I downloaded the app and use it as my monitor. The phone has no cell service but the Bluetooth works on it. The blu alarm can be heard from your phone if the volume is turned up. No antenna no power cords. Really like it so far, we have about 6000 miles using it.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I'm waiting for when my tires have to be replaced. My 2020 Silverado came with four TPM stems. They then hook directly into the existing TPM system. Right now I have the TST system and while I like it, it's just one more thing to mount somewhere, and I've run out of 12v jacks for the system, so now I have a spliter that I need so I can have it and the backup camera running (all these newer trucks have reduced the number of 12v accessory plugs in favor of more USB/USB-c ports).
Unless you're replacing your tires imminently, instead of waiting you should just go ahead and have the new stems mounted now. I had Discount Tire install 4 of them for me, and I think it was about $30 for the whole job. I was in and out in about 20 minutes.

The GM TPMS is excellent, and it's truly plug-n-play (unlike OEM systems from some other truck manufacturers). The guys at Discount Tire used their programming tool, and we got the system set up in about 90 seconds. The truck recognizes the TPMS as soon as I insert the trailer plug. The whole system just works.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
Not trying to highjack this post, but what should your PSI & temp numbers be that are a concern? Took our new 25 ft FC on its maiden voyage yesterday. Using the Vesafe TPMS. Started early in the day in the cold, tire temps were 50 F, PSI ~80. Within a few hrs tire PSI went to to 85 & alarms sounded with temps of ~60 F. At a rest stop, let air out of tires to get back to 80 PSI. And a few hrs later at tire temps of ~66 F, alarms go off at 86 PSI... again!!!! Stopped to let air out again for the second time to get tires back to 80 PSI and prevent alarms.

So my questions is how many PSI can I be above the 80 PSI recommended for the Goodyear Endurance tires?? And at what tire temperature should I be concerned about??

Thanks!
My apologies if someone already answered this....

The specified pressures for your tires are COLD temps. You can expect pressures to rise 10-15% as you get rolling.that is perfectly normal. DONT let air out of your tires when warm to meet cold inflation temps.

I forgot what high pressure alarm should be but it’s way above 85 psi. The most important thing you’re trying to accomplish with the TPMS is to guard against LOW pressure. I set mine about 10 psi below cold inflation pressures.

The reason for this is to be alerted if you have a slow leak in one of the tires.

A slow leak will cause the pressure to get so low that the tire will fail (come apart) and the cause $$$ of damage to your Airstream with all the tread flapping around in the wheel well at highway speeds.

You want to detect that slow leak in time to get off the highway and change the tire.

By the way, if you’re monitoring temp, I believe it should be set at 160F.

Tireman and CapriRacer are the experts on this. Maybe they want to comment.

Hope that helps.

Jim
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I have the TST color monitor. The manual says to NOT leave it plugged in to power. Charge it and then run unplugged. Believe me it lasts a long time. I'd guess a week of driving if you power down at night while parked. It also came with a short USB to mini B, so I use the USB port on the console to charge it when needed.
I wanted to avoid clutter on the windshield, so my GPS is also the rear camera monitor, and the TST monitor is on a RAM arm in a cup holder, just high enough to be easy to see.
I don't think most folks would choose my arm, but I like it there. No suction cups on the windshield.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:47 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I have the TST color monitor. The manual says to NOT leave it plugged in to power. Charge it and then run unplugged.
I have the older version. It came with the 12v Accessory plug for power (no USB or other cords. I'm not sure the older LCD monochrome screens share the same power connector). You have the redesigned color unit. The older versions say nothing about not leaving the connected, in fact they talk about how the on/off slider for power won't work if connected to a constant 12v power source. I rarely think about charging the unit, which is why it's always connected to power.

As far as placement, I don't even bother with it most of the time, I let it live in a cubby and verify pressure several times on the trip. If something happens, the alarm will (or should) alert you, so I see no reason to clutter up the windshield. It's one of the reasons I'm hoping the wheel sensor is the last issue I have with my 2020 truck. GM sells (or remarkets really) a camera that I want to buy and replace the one that came with the Airstream. I like that the one that came with the AS is wireless, but then I have to have that display attached to the windshield so I can glance at it and the image quality while good, isn't all that great. The wired one GM sells allows it to be just one more camera angle and when setup correctly gives you a clear view of everything around and behind the trailer. The system was created by Valeo and licensed by GM. If you watch the youtube video (not just the promotional ones) on this product, it's a game changer and getting rid of the extra screen on dash will be helpful as well.

I like how things are getting integrated so we don't have to worry about all these various things, but what works with what tends to be very tow vehicle specific, which is their selling point, but it would be nice if more of these systems were compatible to help clean up all the extra gadgets we have in our cabs.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #108
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:

The monitor for my TireTraker TPMS has Loooong battery life (multiple days). I only have to plug it in overnight maybe every 3rd or 4th night and have never lost power.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:03 AM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The monitor for my TireTraker TPMS has Loooong battery life (multiple days). I only have to plug it in overnight maybe every 3rd or 4th night and have never lost power.
And I suspect the TST does too, usually I'm not thinking about it though and if it came with a wall charger (I forget I bought it some time ago), that's long gone and so I have to use the 12v adapter. Again, it's gone once I need new tires because I'm going to have the integrated TPMS stems put on the Airstream.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #110
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
snip

As far as placement, I don't even bother with it most of the time, I let it live in a cubby and verify pressure several times on the trip. If something happens, the alarm will (or should) alert you, so I see no reason to clutter up the windshield.

snip

I do wonder if you have ever tested your TPMS monitor as I cover in my RV Tire Safety blog, to know if you will hear the alarm over the normal road noise, radio and general conversations. I know you will not see the visual warning if the monitor isn't in front of you.
If you don't hear or see the warning when it first goes off there is a good possibility you can still have a catastrophic failure that will cost you $$$$

I strongly urge you to test your TPMS at least once a year to confirm the warning feature works and that you will hear & see the warning in time to react.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #111
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
My apologies if someone already answered this....

The specified pressures for your tires are COLD temps. You can expect pressures to rise 10-15% as you get rolling.that is perfectly normal. DONT let air out of your tires when warm to meet cold inflation temps.

I forgot what high pressure alarm should be but it’s way above 85 psi. The most important thing you’re trying to accomplish with the TPMS is to guard against LOW pressure. I set mine about 10 psi below cold inflation pressures.

The reason for this is to be alerted if you have a slow leak in one of the tires.

A slow leak will cause the pressure to get so low that the tire will fail (come apart) and the cause $$$ of damage to your Airstream with all the tread flapping around in the wheel well at highway speeds.

You want to detect that slow leak in time to get off the highway and change the tire.

By the way, if you’re monitoring temp, I believe it should be set at 160F.

Tireman and CapriRacer are the experts on this. Maybe they want to comment.

Hope that helps.

Jim

I'll let Capri answer if he wishes. I cover how I set the warning levels in detail in my RV Tire Safety blog. Pressure rise of 10 to 20% is normal and depending on factors such as travel speed air flow, wheel material and % of tire load capacity some might see a +25% pressure from cold.

Most TPMS come from the factory set to 168°F [79°C ]for temperature. This really isn't the tire temperature but the wheel temperature which is cooler that the tire but if the wheel gets to 158°F you need to slow down and investigate. Again I have info on a comparison test of two different TPMS systems [internal & external] on my blog
Old 07-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Dusted off my TPMS TireMinder

Bought the A1A TireMinder 2015,, yes 2015 and left it for new tires mounted last year. When I went to pick up my trailer with new shoes they did not put the metal valves in and so not being bothered it was ok to leave it . Fast forward to the end of the season of 2019 I took a nail somewhere while towing not in the trailer wheels but my TV. This year I have the metal valves installed and so my A11A TPMS. Also recommend a pump, I had this Viair tire pump,https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00073-H...s%2C231&sr=8-5 a testimony that you do not need a fancy $400 pump So was able to pump up the rear tire and get me to a tire shop 20 miles away.Safe travels and Happy trails
Old 07-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #113
PEN
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bryant , Arkansas
Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Reading some posts here I have TireMinder TPMS w. rubber stems ( approved installation ) no problem w. stems hitting rims etc 3 years now. Remove sensors in winter, new O rings and batteries, reinstall in Spring, that’s it. I like them also as you use Smartphone to monitor them , resolution is dependent on your phone capability, they are all very good these days. No problems w. Sensors touching or hitting wheel rims.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0874.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	372533
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Reading some posts here I have TireMinder TPMS w. rubber stems ( approved installation ) no problem w. stems hitting rims etc 3 years now. Remove sensors in winter, new O rings and batteries, reinstall in Spring, that’s it. I like them also as you use Smartphone to monitor them , resolution is dependent on your phone capability, they are all very good these days. No problems w. Sensors touching or hitting wheel rims.Attachment 372533
LOOK again at your metal stems they are not rubber. The base is a rubber seal but your stems are metal.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:15 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
LOOK again at your metal stems they are not rubber. The base is a rubber seal but your stems are metal.

Ha! Old age creeping up Your absolutely right. Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #117
PEN
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bryant , Arkansas
Will someone post a pic of theirs that has totally metal stems? Our 2019 GT has metal stems on a rubber base. It will wiggle and bend. I ordered the TST FLOW-THROUGH monitors, which requires metal stems. I want to make sure Discount Tire puts the correct type that I need for this TPMS!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
If no one post you probably can call TST and check with them. May be the best information.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #119
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEN View Post
Will someone post a pic of theirs that has totally metal stems? Our 2019 GT has metal stems on a rubber base. It will wiggle and bend. I ordered the TST FLOW-THROUGH monitors, which requires metal stems. I want to make sure Discount Tire puts the correct type that I need for this TPMS!

I am waiting for permission from moderator to post pictures of "snap-in" vs "Bolt-in" valves from my blog. Also have video of a failed HP valve in the post.

Flow thru monitors are a bit heavier so can exert extra side force (14#) on valve stem.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #120
2 Rivet Member

I suggest getting a Tuson TPMS. Internal sensors that last 8 - 10 years, much longer than your tires. It is what they use on the big rigs. Reliable and no worries about stems or theft. They worked flawlessly on my Classic.
jrkott is offline   Reply With Quote