Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
X2

4 for the AS 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
X4^. However; I have a follow up question. I took my TPMS off each wheel, (4 wheels), when we weren't going to use the RV for a couple months and put them on recently. I noticed the little scratches on the rim where it has apparently been hitting due to vibration. I read that metal valves should be used and thought our 2018 had those. I guess the part I missed was they are rubber down low and this is what caused it to flex.

I don't trust any tire store to jack up the RV much less hand torque them. I'm less than 3 miles from a tire store so my plan was to run one of the wheels up on some boards to raise the other one up (or use see if my Andersen levelers would do the same thing). That way I could take one tire off each side at the same time to the tire store and be done in 2 trips. I would leave the RV hitched up to my TV while this was done so I don't have to worry about the RV rolling.

Since I've never changed the tires before on this RV, does anyone see any flaw in this method? Also, is there a specific length metal tire stem that needs to be used with this TPMS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV tire stem.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	331690  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
X4^.
Since I've never changed the tires before on this RV, does anyone see any flaw in this method? Also, is there a specific length metal tire stem that needs to be used with this TPMS?
That will work just fine and you will be certain that your AS is not jacked up inappropriately by the tire shop or that the wheels are incorrectly torqued.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
We had the TST system but I returned it after the first use. The color display was completely unreadable during the day. ANY sunlight washed it out. Didn't matter if it was on the dash, down under the dash, or in the center console; couldn't read it.
And at night wasn't much better. The display has tire icons for a tow vehicle with dual rears and multiple trailer axle/tire configurations. Too much of the display space was wasted with icons we'd never use.

Looking for a system that allows the display to be configured for the actual sensor placement in use. In our case, 4 trailer tires. I'm happy with the TPMS built-in to the Ford, so no need to monitor it as well.

Anyone know of a quality system that allows configuration of the display to show only the tire positions you are monitoring?
I am quite certain you can do that with the TST. I have had mine for several years so I don't remember how I did it, but the display only shows the tire positions I am monitoring. I recall that it was not like that when I first turned it on.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
We had the TST system but I returned it after the first use. The color display was completely unreadable during the day. ANY sunlight washed it out. Didn't matter if it was on the dash, down under the dash, or in the center console; couldn't read it.
And at night wasn't much better. The display has tire icons for a tow vehicle with dual rears and multiple trailer axle/tire configurations. Too much of the display space was wasted with icons we'd never use.

Looking for a system that allows the display to be configured for the actual sensor placement in use.
Anyone know of a quality system that allows configuration of the display to show only the tire positions you are monitoring?
There's two issues. First, the monitor washed out? I have the TST color monitor and do not have any problem with the screen viewing.
Secondly, during the programming of the tire locations, you skip over a lot of places. Those skipped places don't show up any more. The left box shows the tire temp, while the right box shows the pressure.
Here's my setup and you can see the color monitor. (no trailer nearby)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
X4^. However; I have a follow up question. I took my TPMS off each wheel, (4 wheels), when we weren't going to use the RV for a couple months and put them on recently. I noticed the little scratches on the rim where it has apparently been hitting due to vibration. I read that metal valves should be used and thought our 2018 had those. I guess the part I missed was they are rubber down low and this is what caused it to flex.

I don't trust any tire store to jack up the RV much less hand torque them. I'm less than 3 miles from a tire store so my plan was to run one of the wheels up on some boards to raise the other one up (or use see if my Andersen levelers would do the same thing). That way I could take one tire off each side at the same time to the tire store and be done in 2 trips. I would leave the RV hitched up to my TV while this was done so I don't have to worry about the RV rolling.

I have the same TST system you show, but no issues. I left the rubber valve steams installed and note that they will pretty much transmit constant pressure/temp readings once up to speed anyway. I know the metal valve stems are recommended by many folks, but these seem to work just fine. The pressure and temp is transmitted thru the valve stem to the transmitter caps anyway...I don't see any need to replace the valve stems since they are working fine.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
There's two issues. First, the monitor washed out? I have the TST color monitor and do not have any problem with the screen viewing.
Secondly, during the programming of the tire locations, you skip over a lot of places. Those skipped places don't show up any more. The left box shows the tire temp, while the right box shows the pressure.
I don't have any issues reading the display either, using the supplied rubber mount sitting on my dash. Only time there is an issue is when the display is turned a little and I get a little off center glare with my sun glasses on. Otherwise, the system is fine for me.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
But I am not aware my 2015 Tundra Limited has a TPMS on board. Did you add your TPMS to the Tundra?
I have a 2015 Tundra, and it has wheel sensors, but only shows "Low pressure" tire icon on the dash. It does not read out pressure or temp.

I only used sensors on the trailer since I might not feel a flat there, while I'm pretty sure I'd know if a tire was going down on the truck.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #48
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
People need to remember that external sensors ae cooled by outside air so will read 20F to 30F cooler than internal sensors but as I have covered in my RV Tire Safety blog , as a tire engineer I do not find the absolute nembers being reported of much value as it is the pressure loss that kills almost all tires, not just an increase in tire temperature.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have the same TST system you show, but no issues. I left the rubber valve steams installed and note that they will pretty much transmit constant pressure/temp readings once up to speed anyway. I know the metal valve stems are recommended by many folks, but these seem to work just fine. The pressure and temp is transmitted thru the valve stem to the transmitter caps anyway...I don't see any need to replace the valve stems since they are working fine.
Yes they will work just fine, but they eventually fail due to the constant flexing, not to mention that the sensor will mar your wheel after a while, again due to the flexing rubber valve stem. The upside is that your TPMS will let you know when the valve stem is done.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Metal valve stems

Yes, some rubber valve stems have a metal cover over part of the stem.

The best way to know for sure is to look for a nut that "bolts-in" the stem to the wheel. I would suggest a TR416 or similar as seen HERE from Auto Zone. O'riley's has a similar short stem. The hole in your wheel is most likely 7/16" not 5/8" Some metal stems come with two different rubber gaskets, one for each size hole. the gasket is just a snug fit and should just push in.

Note the nut has a torque spec of 25 - 45 INCH Pounds so do not over tighten the nut. I have found that a regular 9/16" wrench is just fine and you do not need a big ratchet wrench to tighten the nut.

Keep the stem short to lower the chance of the TPMS being knocked off if you get near a curb.

While you are at the auto parts store be sure you have METAL valve caps. Rubber and plastic caps are IMO only good for keeping dirt and small birds out of the valve core area. Metal caps should have rubber "O" rings in them and can retain air if you are not running TPMS. In the winter when I remove my TPM sensor i install valve caps as I lost one tire that went flat over the winter due to valve core leak.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The best way to know for sure is to look for a nut that "bolts-in" the stem to the wheel. I would suggest a TR416 or similar as seen from Auto Zone. O'riley's has a similar
On my Sendel rims, the hole for the stem is machined down into the aluminum casting, so a 416 will not fit into the hole. Even the washer is too big.

I used the Dill 902-W which uses a "shoulder nut" that brings the part you wrench up above the hole. I sourced them from Discount Tire. (There is a version where the nut is inside the rim, and although it would work, there's no way to check or tighten the nut without unmounting the tire.)

I did them myself, and technically it's not hard, but it's a dirty, sweaty job, and then my beloved Viair pump could not seat the bead on three of the four, so I ended up back at the tire store anyway. I gave the tech $5 to shoot 65 psi in the tires.
Usually, I think I can do everything better, but this was one I wouldn't do over.
I was super impressed with Discount Tire but there's none near me and the places near me I didn't trust.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I use a TireTrakker system, and I think it will do that (I have a Bambi, so not sure).

The display is black and white and easy to see.

This system uses the on-stem sensors.
Thanks, I'll check that system out.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
I am quite certain you can do that with the TST. I have had mine for several years so I don't remember how I did it, but the display only shows the tire positions I am monitoring. I recall that it was not like that when I first turned it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I futzed with mine for several hours. The extra, unused tire position icons never went away. The display was definitely defective as it was washed out to the point of being unreadable during the day. And even if the unused tire positions are not shown, does the system allow you to only show an image of a trailer with 4 tires? Thereby NOT taking up screen real estate with space for unused tire positions (even if they are not displayed?)

TST was very easy to work with (although the tech never mentioned anything about deleting extra tire position icons) and took the unit back with no questions. I'll take another look at one and maybe give it another try.

Thanks for you feedback. Much appreciated.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Tst tps

I have 30 foot Airstream with TST monitor, stems are metal and sensors mounted on all 5 wheels. Metal will transfer heat from wheel better than rubber allowing the sensor to pickup temp changes quicker, metal also holds steam in place, rubber stems will oscillate and damage sensors and wheels, first hand experience.

TST works great I did not install extender booster, sensors work great with out. When home trailer is parked 40 foot from the garage where tv stored, the display picks up some of the pressure / temp sensor while starting and leaving garage. The temp is so sensitive that when towing you can see higher temps based on sun verses shade side.

The only TST complaint I have is with the mount they supply, the base is balky and it slides into 2 slots to hold display for easy removal from suction base, the suction base over time will release from windshield allowing display to fall off of slide and hang on power cord.
The solution I came up with was to replace the supplied base with Ram Mount suction base and modifying a ram 1” ball adapter to TST slide mount.

Additionally the TST uses a usb plug that works well with late model trucks not the old balky cig lighter plug.

Regardless which manufacture you decide to purchase from, the felling you will have while driving down the road at highway speeds seeing tire pressure, wheel temperature, and having the advanced warning of a rapid air loss alarm ready to alert you is very comforting. I was in a hurry a-lot prior to retirement and didn’t take the time to check pressure, worried every time I heard an unusual sound now when leaving campsite I just look up no problems not so many worries.
Safe Travels
Ron
Ditter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
Yeah those are excellent to check your flat tire you have been driving with for the past 80 miles.
Knowing that your tire IS going flat while driving is much better than checking when YOU have a feeling something might be wrong.
But it is a lot cheaper. Heck that $6 and a blown tire with trailer damage can't cost that much.
Knowing that your tire has a slow leak can be accomplished by the standard walk around inspection we should all be doing. Check your tires and you'll know if it's leaking. Check your tires for wear, bubbles, and sidewall damage.
As for a sudden blowout, I'd pay hundreds of dollars for a system that could predict that.
As far as driving 80 miles on a flat tire, just pull over. It's like not driving 80 miles with your left blinker on.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #56
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmox View Post
Knowing that your tire has a slow leak can be accomplished by the standard walk around inspection we should all be doing. Check your tires and you'll know if it's leaking. ...
How do you know if you have picked up a nail, which is leaking air, since your last walk around? A TPMS is like a fuel gauge. You could always dip your fuel tanks at every stop too.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
How do you know if you have picked up a nail, which is leaking air, since your last walk around? A TPMS is like a fuel gauge. You could always dip your fuel tanks at every stop too.

Exactly. It happened to me. My TPMS saved my trailer from more damage. A walk around a couple hours earlier would NOT have helped.

Just another question to those who think TPMS isn't worth it.
Do you still have a rotary phone?
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Great point; I might add, if there is something happening to the tire like tread separation which could lead to a blowout the temp likely would be going up and the alarm would sound and show temp compared to other tires.... I have read here on the Forum and other Forum's several incidents where a blown tire has caused extensive damage. Same if you picked up a nail or something where a "slow leak" might become a fast leak after your back driving on the highway... Like insurance...but, maybe not worth it to some folks...
Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As a data point: We had a Goodyear Marathon tire suddenly go flat/tread separation that caused over $3,000 in wheel well area damage. No TPMS on the Airstream at the time, and, since it's a dual axle trailer, no change in handling or noise to tip off the driver.

Only indication of trouble was noticing light smoke and chunks coming off the streetside of the trailer...the TPMS goes on before our next trip...

And yest, a thorough walkaround, temperature check, and pressure check was done at starting out in the morning and at every fuel stop that day. The driver has really strong OCD, and knows how to channel it...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
As a data point: We had a Goodyear Marathon tire suddenly go flat/tread separation that caused over $3,000 in wheel well area damage. No TPMS on the Airstream at the time, and, since it's a dual axle trailer, no change in handling or noise to tip off the driver.

Only indication of trouble was noticing light smoke and chunks coming off the streetside of the trailer...the TPMS goes on before our next trip...

And yest, a thorough walkaround, temperature check, and pressure check was done at starting out in the morning and at every fuel stop that day. The driver has really strong OCD, and knows how to channel it...
Did you replace your other GYM's with something else?? I had used Michelins past 3 AS's when replacing my GYM's, but no 15" LT model from Michelin any longer, so I went with the GY Endurance that are on the new AS's with 15" wheels. Did not want to purchase new 16" wheels.

So far, very good reviews and I have had no problems. I just installed my TST TPMS 507 unit in July...very happy I did...nice to have that feedback while on the road.