Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Anybody tried these? Tire pressure indicator

Here's an interesting new item described in today's New York Times:

Aviation Upgrade Technologies

These are sold as a set of four for $25.00. They are sealed units with a battery life expectancy of 3-4 years. They replace the valve cap and are self-calibrating to the tire-pressure. If the pressure drops, they will begin to flash. anybody tired these?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Can you se em in the rear view? or the cockpit? I'll bet they would be real nice when you're pulled over with a flat looking at that little sob winking at you. go good with the CHINESE MARATHONS

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Kinda

We have not tried that brand, but we do have the ones sold at Camping World for about the same money. I think they come in a package of six. They work great. Of course you have to stop and visually check for low inflation, but it is a lot easier than pulling out the tire gauge. The ones we have are set at 65 lbs and if they drop 5 lbs(approx) or more a yellow indicator pops up and lets you know it is time to air up.

Time
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Neat idea. At $25 a pop every other year seems a little steep for the ave RV that take the unit out a week or two every year. If tire life is calculated at 5 years and the caps are replaced every other year. I would spend about $62.50 for the life of a set of tires. Which may be the cost of 3/4 of a tire, for the convience of not putting on a tire gauge. And in the AZ sun I am not going to see the light unless it's at night or I am standing right over the tire. To check the battery of the light one needs to unscrew the cap. If I do that I might as well put a tire pressure gauge on it.

I think I might use my tire gauge more often. It's $5 and doesn't need a battery. I need the exercise in bending over to check the pressure anyway.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
This would be great for all those folks who never check the tire pressure on their cars. Which I suspect in 80% plus. Of course many of these wouldn't get around to getting the air put in anyway....
I'm lusting after a set of the electronic ones once we start putting miles. I'm getting a set just to try for my wife's car.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
For the lazy (include me)

The "Camping World" versions operate on air pressure therefore are idiot-proof. Certainly not as cool as the "blinky-blinky" battery type, but anybody who is too lazy to check tire pressure with a gauge is probaly too lazy to replace the batteries. Either type is better than nothing....tires that are under pressure is the number one mechanical related cause of roll over accidents.

Time
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote