Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Airstream Club 15% Off Goodyear and Home Installation Experience.

For those wondering about the recent email from Airstream Club International about 15% off on tires I though I would share my recent experience.

I was in need of some new Endurance tires for our 25FB and after comparing a quote with Discount Tire decided to take advantage of the ACI discount through Goodyear. To get to it you login to the ACI website then go to member discounts and click on the Goodyear link. There you can select your tires and add to the cart with 15% discount. Next you choose installation and I saw they have something new called Goodyear Roll which advertises coming to your place to do the install. Since hooking up and taking somewhere is a pain, and the fact last time I was at the tire shop someone hit my truck, I decided to give it a try. Total installation cost was a reasonable $95.80 which included the Goodyear Roll service. Once you put in your address and select a 2 hour installation window you are all set, super easy.

Installation is where things got a little weird and I will give everyone full detail so you can decide if you want to try it. They arrived on time and in order to make things go smooth I hooked up and drove each wheel onto a ramp in order as they replaced the tires. They were nice young people, but I would not call them the most experienced tire techs. They did not have a socket that would fit or a torque wrench so I provided them with mine. The more experience person did the installation and balancing so I felt better about that. The less experienced person took off the wheels and re-installed with the torque wrench. First thing I noticed was she was not strong enough to properly torque the wheels so she would bounce on the torque wrench which is a no-no. I would work in the garage while waiting to do the next wheel and on #3 I noticed it was taking a long time so I decided to investigate. Turns out they have a process called shredding in which they drill a hole through the DOT label on the sidewall so when tires go to the dumpster they can not be taken and used. She accidentally did this on one of the new tires, and was attempting to patch it. At that point I inserted myself and said that is not acceptable and explained why good tires are so important and the cost of a failure. They were very nice, no problem, and said they would get another tire even though it is almost an hour drive away. Since it was Saturday the place was close so they had to come back the following Tuesday. When they returned I got my 4th tire installed and all went smooth. After they left I re-torque all wheels myself and took it for a drive and so far so good.

So, reason for my long winded post was I wanted to give everyone all the facts so they can decide if they want to try Goodyear Roll installation. The 15% discount on the tires is great and I will probably use there installation again in the future as they were very nice, prompt and easy to work with. My only suggestion to others should you want to try them is make sure you watch them and make sure they do things right.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
An interesting story, to say the least. My decision to use or not use them would have ended long before the end of your amusing story.

Your 15% discount was eaten up the minute the tire changers arrived.

Couple of observations/questions if you don’t mind…

How were the tires changed? Did the vehicle they arrived in have the proper tire changing/balancing equipment? A large industrial van, no doubt, right?

How were the tires balanced? Static, bubble balance? (Hope not) or was it a professional rotational speed balancer?

No socket? Would stop the process right there.

Jumping on torque wrench? OK, again, time out!

Drilling out a new tire? Time to call 911

Disposing of old tires in dumpster? Now you are an accessory to a crime.

Most states have laws prohibiting tires in landfills and ergo cannot be disposed of in dumpsters. I know Texas has such laws.

My Discount Tire Store will change (and dynamic balance) trailer tires at their location.

15% ACI discount and $95.80 ACI adder to endure what you described? I’ll pass, thank you.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
How were the tires changed? Did the vehicle they arrived in have the proper tire changing/balancing equipment? A large industrial van, no doubt, right?
A large Sprinter van, don't know my models.

Quote:
How were the tires balanced? Static, bubble balance? (Hope not) or was it a professional rotational speed balancer?
Manual tire changer, computerized dynamic balancer. They used stick on weights on inside and outside of wheel accordingly.

Quote:
Disposing of old tires in dumpster? Now you are an accessory to a crime.
I may have misspoken. Not a dumpster but the yard they are stored in prior to disposal.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
It’s a shame you had to go thru an unsettling experience to get your tires changed.
Maybe shedding light on who the company was will prevent other Airstream owners from reliving your experience.

From personal experience, I have found Discount Tire my go to tire people. In addition to mounting and balance included in their tire pricing, they rotate your tires and fix your flats for free for the life of the tires.

Additional anecdote: I was in Tucson and got a flat tire. Took it to a local Discount Tire store. They looked up my DFW account, fixed the flat (for free) with a smile.

Oh yes, for transparency, I do not own any interest in Discount Tire.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Wow !! You are a forgiving person.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: Airstream Club 15% Off GoodYear and Home Installation

OrangeCrush, Thank You for sharing your experience. I am planning to replace all four tires and the spare on my 1964 Airstream Overlander Land Yacht International this Spring, and had planned to go with the GoodYears as has been my practice with each travel trailer that I have owned since 1980. I am going to investigate the ACI/WBCCI discount program and see whether my usual dealer would be a source for tires within this program and if not, whether he could make a deal comparable as I have been a customer there since 1990. I am not opposed to towing my trailer to him (a distance of 35 miles one way), but home installation would be convenient and I know that he has at least one road service truck.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote