Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Air compressor recommend

I used to have a real problem making sure my AS tires and my TV tires were always up to pressure and especially in the AM when I wanted to air up when the tires were cold. By the time I would get hooked up and haul the AS and TV to the local tire shop, the tires were warm or I just said forget it.

Enter the Outback Compressor Jr. and now I do this myself in just a few minutes. I have never seen a better setup with the compressor bolted to the tool box and includes the ultimate stem hook that you don't have to hold onto. My new AS Michelins were down to 70 psi and I had them all up to 78 in about 15 minutes total. If you want a really good compressor, look at this one.

Product : Extreme Outback
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I had an air plug installed beside the rear license plate and use the air tank and compressor from the truck's air suspension. A 25 foot air hose with gage reaches the front truck tires and both tires on each side of the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

In a pinch I use the compressor for this....

If we have the genset with us, I break out the B&D 120v unit, much faster.

Bob
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I don't carry a genset and this little compressor really gets with the program. I also bought a couple of their professional tire patch kits.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Looks Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Enter the Outback Compressor Jr............
Pricey little bugger, but sure looks nice!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
High volume and pressure: Bon Aire Compressor — 12V, 150 PSI, Model# DD-12 | 1 CFM Below| Northern Tool + Equipment
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I went over to SEARS and bought a Craftsman 3-gl compressor last year. "Big", narrow, but with ten tires it pleases me. A few minutes to change all tires and only moving it once. Not to heavy to carry or place in truck bed and fast, fast, fast.

Onboard air, some day . . . .

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I ordered the Viair 450P. Probably overkill but I'm hoping it'll be the only one I'll need.

http://www.viaircorp.com/450P-A.html
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
ditto on the Viair

Ditto on the Viair 450. I have had it several months and it works extremely well. Cords and hoses are long enough and I like the 100% duty cycle. Well made and the bag is ok and is easily stored in the truck.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
CATAULA , Georgia
I was a Product Manager with DeVilbiss Air Power/Porter Cable several years ago. This is the one I plan on buying from Amazon.com in a few weeks. 150 PSI + the 1.5 gallon tank will be handy.

Porter-Cable CMB15 150 PSI 1.5 Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor - Amazon.com
GAArgosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I don't carry a compressor on the road....but I DO carry this: POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

200 PSI @ up to 20 CFM! I can add 10 PSI to my tires over 100 times on one tank. I regularly use it to top off client's large 22.5" motorhome tires. Takes seconds and lasts for a few months!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac
I ordered the Viair 450P. Probably overkill but I'm hoping it'll be the only one I'll need.

http://www.viaircorp.com/450P-A.html
(Quoting myself? Sheesh...)

Got my 450p and am looking forward to cold filling the truck and trailer tires in the morning. On my 2013 Duramax, the positive terminal is easily accessible, the negative doesn't look so easy to get with the compressor's alligator battery clip.

Compressor instructions say to connect positive first then negative.

Can the negative clip be attached to a metal part of the frame? I recall that from "the old days" but have no idea if that's kosher now. There is a "remote negative battery terminal" but it's WAY on the exact opposite location of the engine compartment and that would not work.

Alternatively, I could connect to the AS batteries in the trailer hitch - though the compressor's instructions say your vehicle should be running so you don't drain the battery. So 2 questions there:

1) if I'm NOT using the truck battery but my truck is connected to the AS via the 7 pin cable, is that "charging the AS battery" enough for this?

2) since there are 2 batteries connected (I assume in parallel) is there a risk of over-juicing the compressor this way?

Thanks for any insights you can share!!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is out of your owner manual... hope it cuts and pastes correctly.

"Open the hood on the other vehicle and locate the positive (+) and negative (−) terminal locations on that vehicle. The positive (+) terminal, is located under a red plastic cover at the positive battery post. To uncover the positive (+) terminal, open the red plastic cover.

If your vehicle has a gasoline engine, the remote negative (-) terminal is a stud located on the right front of the engine, where the negative battery cable attaches.
If your vehicle has a diesel engine, the remote negative (-) terminal is the negative (-) post on the auxiliary battery on the driver side of the engine compartment.
For more information on the location of the remote positive (+) and remote negative (−) terminals, see Engine Compartment Overview"

And the overview....

"Engine Compartment Overview
United States Pickup Models Shown, Canada Similar

1. Coolant Surge Tank and Pressure Cap
  2. Remote Positive (+) Terminal
  3. Battery
  4. Engine Air Cleaner/Filter
  5. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Fill Tube
  6. Engine Air Cleaner/Filter Restriction Indicator (If Equipped)
  7. Engine Oil Dipstick
  8. Engine Oil Fill Cap
  9. Engine Fan (Out of View)
  10. Automatic Transmission Dipstick
  11. Power Steering Fluid Reservoir
  12. Brake Fluid Reservoir
  13. Auxiliary Battery
  14. Underhood Fuse Block
  15. Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir
  16. Remote Negative (-) Terminal"

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
hmmm, need to tell someone about the letter vs. number thing. Check you printed diesel supplement and see if it has that problem.

Alternatively, you can use any good stud on the engine block or accessory mounting bracket as the ground attachment point.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
Check you printed diesel supplement and see if it has that problem.

Alternatively, you can use any good stud on the engine block or accessory mounting bracket as the ground attachment point.
Thx dzn. Will check the manual for letters vs numbers and get back to you. The battery in the diesel is passenger rear (near firewall) and remote negative terminal is driver front (near radiator). Literally exact opposite edges of the engine bay :-)

Before posting my question, I checked the manual but popped the hood to see exactly what it looked like. The positive terminal is easily accessible. (Oddly enough, the remote positive terminal is just a few inches from the battery's positive terminal) The negative terminal is about an inch from the firewall and access is restricted quite a bit by a bracket.

Will check for better negative connection in the morning. Thanks!!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question Why not......

.......get a spare 7way plug, connect the charge wire & ground.

Cord centered in the rear, no mess'n under the hood, no tangled wire in the fan, no sparks.

Bob
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
hmmm, need to tell someone about the letter vs. number thing. Check you printed diesel supplement and see if it has that problem.

Dznf0g - both my PDF and printed versions of the manual only use letters. I noticed that using the iPhone app, your post had all asterisks where the numbers showed up on the safari browser version. Probably just something to do with the cut and paste from your system.

As to the battery connection - sometimes, my level of dufus-ness is so surprising its almost inspirational. :-/

I was so focused on the main battery location, I neglected to notice that the remote negative terminal (on the opposite corner of the engine compartment) is connected to the Aux Battery which is 100% accessible!! Oy. Never mind. :-)

But thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
.......get a spare 7way plug, connect the charge wire & ground.

Cord centered in the rear, no mess'n under the hood, no tangled wire in the fan, no sparks.

Bob
Hmmmm.....now that's an intriguing idea!

Are you suggesting removing the alligator clips from the compressor and connecting their cables to 2 of 7 pins in a plug so the 7 pin connector is now permanently attached to the compressor?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Well you could wire the 7pin directly to the compressor cord, workable if it's only used with the tow vehicle.

I would use quick disconnect's, so you could use either/or. 7pin or agulator.

Bob
Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bob's suggestion would work...just make sure your compressor doesn't draw more amperage than the wire is rated for (doubt it is an issue). The opposing terminals in the manual are for jump starting your or another vehicle....very high current flow to a presumably dead battery. Your compressor is probably 10-20 AMPS (SWAG, verify your compressor) you can locate a ground on either battery or use an engine stud which is mounted to the block..An alternator bracket is often a good location.....your aux batt + and - are fine as well.