Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
JBLM , Washington
abnormal tire wear

I have a brand new 2020 International Serenity (with Goodyear Endurance tires) which, after driving 2700 miles on my first and only three week trip in August, I noticed abnormal tire wear on two of the tires - driver's side front and passenger side rear. The tires are so worn down on the outer edges that they must be replaced already. It's been at the Airstream dealer's service center for three weeks now with no resolution of the problem. They "think" the cause might be the axles (which are under warranty) but stated that if they send the axles back and the axles are actually fine, then it will cost $1700 per axle plus $1000 shipping (for a grand total of $4400). My questions are the following:
1) Does this abnormal wear sound like an axle problem?
2) Why would there be axle issues on a brand new AS with less than 3000 miles on it?
3) Should I take it to somewhere else besides the AS dealership to have checked out, and, if so any recommendations on places that are experienced with this issue (I'm in WA state)

Honestly, after having my AS in the shop for nearly a month without having the problem proper diagnosed and fixed (and having such an apparently massively expensive problem right out of the gate), I am really frustrated and considering selling it. All advice would be much appreciated!
drlangc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Going to ask the obvious we’re all four tires set at an appropriate pressure? Tire wear can be caused by improper inflation.

If they were then there is some kind of alignment issue. Whether axles or not can’t say. Have you personally escalated to airstream live? If not I would.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
JBLM , Washington
Thanks, JonDNC. Great input.

I don't believe inflation was the issue, as I did check the pressure every morning (when cold) on my trip and ensured they were always inflated to the appropriate pressure (75-80 psi).

The AS dealership is taking it this week to a place to have the alignment checked. Will see what they have to say after that.

I will give the AS live folks a call to see what they have to say. I should have thought of that earlier. Thanks for reminding me of that resource.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I had the same wear issue after bending an axle on a very deep pothole. I had both axles replaced at the factory. The cost was around $1700 per axle. My trailer is 18 year old.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlangc View Post
I have a brand new 2020 International Serenity (with Goodyear Endurance tires) which, after driving 2700 miles on my first and only three week trip in August, I noticed abnormal tire wear on two of the tires - driver's side front and passenger side rear. The tires are so worn down on the outer edges that they must be replaced already. It's been at the Airstream dealer's service center for three weeks now with no resolution of the problem. They "think" the cause might be the axles (which are under warranty) but stated that if they send the axles back and the axles are actually fine, then it will cost $1700 per axle plus $1000 shipping (for a grand total of $4400). My questions are the following:
2) Why would there be axle issues on a brand new AS with less than 3000 miles on it?
3) Should I take it to somewhere else besides the AS dealership to have checked out, and, if so any recommendations on places that are experienced with this issue (I'm in WA state)

Honestly, after having my AS in the shop for nearly a month without having the problem proper diagnosed and fixed (and having such an apparently massively expensive problem right out of the gate), I am really frustrated and considering selling it. All advice would be much appreciated!
Hi drlangc,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 10-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
My recent experience....

The problem is either an out of spec axle,(alignment) or a worn out axle, unlikely on a new unit.

I just had an upgrade done at JC. I thought I had bent an axle, turns out the rubber was just worn out at one end, after 16 Seasons

Don't let the dealer snow 'ya. Two tires on separate axles, one front and one rear does NOT imply customer malfeasance.
It is most surely an assembly/alignment problem.

POI...the tech at JC gave me the numbers after our replacement.

Insist on them doing an alignment and contributing to tire replacements.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Possible bent axles

Your trailer was transported from the factory to the dealer being pulled behind a delivery truck. Possible that it was damaged during delivery miles????

Couple of years back I was southbound on I-75 going through Cincinnati when a brand new Airstream flew by at high speed. No doubt it was a new unit fresh from the factory up the road at Jackson Center headed for the dealer. The road at the time was garbage. No telling what kind of damage it may have suffered being abused that way by delivery driver. Just a thought.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
JBLM , Washington
Update

Update on this issue -- Had my AS in the shop for over 5 weeks and everything was checked out to include axles. Apparently, all was good to go/ nothing they could find wrong leading to the abnormal tire wear. So, still no idea what caused the problem but at least the axles did not require replacing. Next step is going to be replacing the tires, which we'll do in the springtime when we de-winterize and get back on the road again. Hopefully, we'll be able to go more than 2000 miles without needing to replace tires again...
F250 / 2020 30' International Serenity ("Gypsy")
WBCI #21617
Old 11-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Update on this issue -- Had my AS in the shop for over 5 weeks and everything was checked out to include axles. Apparently, all was good to go/ nothing they could find wrong leading to the abnormal tire wear. So, still no idea what caused the problem but at least the axles did not require replacing. Next step is going to be replacing the tires, which we'll do in the springtime when we de-winterize and get back on the road again. Hopefully, we'll be able to go more than 2000 miles without needing to replace tires again...
Did they check the alignment? If so, what was it?

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
MISSOULA , Montana
Quote:

I took my 2018 Airstream back to the Airstream dealer for uneven tire wear while still under warranty. I was told alignment was not covered under warranty and was not a service performed at the dealership or a typical alignment shop. The following link is a list of Airstream Trailer Wheel Alignment Facilities. https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...nt-guide-8.pdf
Jackroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I am with the others who have already strongly suspected wheel alignment issues. It is not a surprise to hear that opposite tires are the ones showing wear. Since it is the outer edges, that would imply the two showing wear are toe in relative to the two others, which are likely neutral or slightly toe out. I am suspicious of the dealer's conclusion.

With some wire you can do a pretty good job of confirming alignment. You will certainly be able to tell if they are out of alignment enough to cause the wear you describe.

So start by finding a level area in a dead end or a parking lot and drive up to the area straight to allow the wheels to all track with no lateral forces. Then put down the tongue jack to use as a reference point and place a zip tie or wire around the jack leg at the level of the center of the wheel hubs. Now using the wire (it does not stretch) measure to the inside front and rear of each tire. Each side should have the same measurements. Use a flat not warped board or piece of angle iron across the hub level of the tires to be sure the tires track each other. the board should touch both the front and back of each tire. The tires often have slight inconsistencies in the sidewall and the axles are supposed to have a slight toe in so the boards should touch both front and back (neutral toe) or should only touch in the back while the front is slightly inward (they should be the same). If they are inconsistent, measure from the board to the rim on both front and back of each rim, they should be the same or again slight toe in but both the same.

Any differences in distances indicates the wheels are indeed out of alignment for some reason. Bent or defective axle, or axles were not mounted correctly relative to each other and the frame. I would not get new tires until you are certain alignment is correct. Good luck.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
How we checked our toe adjustment.

Bob
🇺🇸

A straight edge long enough to span the two tires, should lay flat across both. We were waring the inside edge of the leading tire, hence the gap at the rear of the tire. Tow out causing the inside edge of the tire to scuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20E464AC-5334-4BAA-9681-7027D2740CE6_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	385354   Click image for larger version

Name:	905A83D3-DE2C-40A0-8CC8-540A363B95B7.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	385355  

Click image for larger version

Name:	00CB7143-4DC2-497D-8447-8DDC8373A4FD_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	385356  
Old 12-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #13
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
How I wore out a tire

I wore out a tire in 3000 miles once due to a loose nut on the axle after a wheel bearing repack. It wore on one edge like OP described.

Replaced tire and tightened axle nut and new tire wore evenly.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
I wore out a tire in 3000 miles once due to a loose nut on the axle after a wheel bearing repack. It wore on one edge like OP described.

Yes this could cause toe wear. As the hub moves out to take up the slack.
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
How we checked our toe adjustment.

Bob
[emoji631]

A straight edge long enough to span the two tires, should lay flat across both. We were waring the inside edge of the leading tire, hence the gap at the rear of the tire. Tow out causing the inside edge of the tire to scuff.
Hi Bob

Kind of obsolete now but 8Ft flouresent tubes are a great straight edge for this quick alignment check ( but delicate too)
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post

Something rarely checked....The mount flange on the axle and mating surface on the wheel need to be clean and free of corrosion.🤓

Bob
👍