Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2003, 04:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**Balancing Tires**

I was wondering if anyone has used this product for balancing their tires. It looks like it would be great. It was mentioned on one of the threads on this forum.

http://www.equalauto.com/

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:36 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: "_Balancing Tires_"

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinky
I was wondering if anyone has used this product for balancing their tires. It looks like it would be great. It was mentioned on one of the threads on this forum.

http://www.equalauto.com/
After trying to decide how best to balance the tires and Alcoa wheels on my '85 325, I had Equal put in the tires on the recommendation of my local Goodyear dealer. Best thing I ever did. It takes a couple of miles at speed for them to smooth out, but once they do, it's smooooth!

I understand that over-the-road trucks use the stuff and have had great success with it. It can also be scooped out of a tire when replacing it, and reinserted into the replacement tire.

I was pleased with the product. I haven't heard of any down side to using it.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
After trying to decide how best to balance the tires and Alcoa wheels on my '85 325, I had Equal put in the tires on the recommendation of my local Goodyear dealer. Best thing I ever did. It takes a couple of miles at speed for them to smooth out, but once they do, it's smooooth!

Roger,

Is it a little rough each time you start out or just initially after getting the product installed?

Thanks for you response!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 07-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Each time you start, you have to redistribute the powder around the inside of the tire. The powder will be thicker and heavier where it needs to be to balance the tire. I'm not sure what the physics are, but it works great. What makes it life-time balance is that it re-distributes every time the tire gets up to speed. So, as your tires wear, the Equal continues to keep them balanced regardless of the wear pattern. I don't know whether it somehow sticks for a while before filtering down, or it just acts like a powder and drops through the tire when you stop.

Anyway it's a little bumpy each time you start; particularly if your tires are cold, but after a couple of miles when the tread has heated up and the Equal is distributed, it's great.

I was a little concerned initially about the powder wearing out the tire from the inside, but I was told that it's Teflon coated or something, and that it doesn't cause any friction inside the tire. And it's compatible with the Tele-tire pressure monitor system.

Roger
Old 08-05-2003, 06:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Equal

I'm intrigued,

Does any one else use Equal in their tires?

How much goes into each tire?

Do you have to remove the tire from the rim to install?

How much does it cost?

Mark
Old 08-06-2003, 06:21 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
If you visit there web site it will explain how you install and how it works. In FAQ it says may not help out of ballance conditions caused by brake drums, wheel hubs, or other suspension problems. I talked with the Michigan distributor yesterday as my wheels and tires have all been ballanced off the trailer however I suspect I have an out of ballance brake drum or hub. He recommended I not try this product as it might make the problem worse. He suggested I have the drum and hub ballanced and then this material would work for the tire and wheel assembly ballance.
Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Thanks!

That sounds like good sound advice!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 08-07-2003, 05:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to daydreamer36535
Do you balance tires as usual or just add the equal w/out any wheel weights?
thanks,
Joe
Old 08-08-2003, 03:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
For me, at this time I haven't used their product. I'm just looking at the possibilities.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 08-08-2003, 07:16 AM   #10
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Equal

Quote:
Originally posted by markjoandall
I'm intrigued,

Does any one else use Equal in their tires?

How much goes into each tire?

Do you have to remove the tire from the rim to install?

How much does it cost?

Mark
I think it was about $20/tire. But, it's a one-time expense, and you never have to have the tires balanced again. It's the only balancing weight on/in the tire. All of the old weights come off. It's blown in through the schrader valve. No muss, no fuss. It's quick and easy. The manufacturer recommends the proper amount for each tire, but I think that they used one package per tire on my 325. Again, I had it done at a Goodyear store. There may be different sized packages for different sized tires, I'm not sure.

Perhaps some of the folks with the Volvo tractors that tow Airstreams have more experience with this stuff. I was told that the primary market for Equal was over-the-road tractors.

Roger
Old 08-08-2003, 08:32 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
skeptic

would this cause rear end seperation during the initial startup someone mentioned that for miles they shake each time the unit is used. I like the idea but am concerned that it might give me problems that willfar out cost balancing my tires every? how often does everyone balance there tire/wheels?
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:33 AM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: skeptic

Quote:
Originally posted by FireFighter
would this cause rear end seperation during the initial startup someone mentioned that for miles they shake each time the unit is used. I like the idea but am concerned that it might give me problems that willfar out cost balancing my tires every? how often does everyone balance there tire/wheels?
No, I don't think this would cause rear end separation. And it doesn't shake for miles, just until the powder redistributes. Quite honestly on the MH, it may have just been from the tires getting a flat spot from sitting. I really don't know.

Honestly, I don't think it's practical stuff for trailer tires. I haven't used it for my trailer nor will I, as a tire balance isn't nearly the problem nor the expense as it is on a motorhome with eight huge tires on three axles. This stuff is for BIG tires!

Roger
Old 08-08-2003, 09:37 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
thanks

thanks for the info i am definatley going to look into this for my dump truck, i always have trouble weights.
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
I have a one ton pick-up. I e-mailed them and I think they told me that I would only need about 3oz for each of my tires.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 02-22-2004, 05:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
I just had my pick-up done yesterday; $120.00 +Tax (6 wheels). I think I will be happy with the results!

I wasn’t very happy with the tire balancing when I first got the tires. When I had first gotten them, they were balanced on a computer and then the weights were added. I’ve had a noticeable vibration since then at normal cursing speed.

The weights were removed and the material was placed inside each tire. It’s all located inside a small biodegradable bag. I don’t know just how long it takes for the bag to deteriorate but I would think it would be fairly quick.

I feared that with each start and stop it would be very noticeable; I can’t tell that it’s even in there. At cruising speed it seems to have smoothed out the vibration that I had somewhat. I would like for my ride to be somewhat smoother yet but hey, it’s still a 1-ton 4X4 truck how smooth can it get? The product seems to work and it’s less expensive than having the tires re-balanced a lot.

Another thought is….. this might be a good solution for balancing the whole hub assembly. I would think with the way this works that it would help compensate for anything that’s out of balance not just the tires! What do you think Andy of Inland RV?

I may have it put in my camper wheels later on as well.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 02-22-2004, 11:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
As per "Apple 1" the Equal people state that their product will not take care of unbalanced hub and drums.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote