Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
7.50-16 LT to LT215/85R16E

This may be helpful to some of the vintage streamers or especially SoBs if you own the OLD stuff from the days of split rim bias plys.

With that being said, you should have migrated to "normal" rims by now. 6 and 8 lug are easy to get 16" wheels for as we all know. IMO splurge and get aluminum wheels to save weight and they match the aluminum lifestyle look.

The last two sets of tires have been the standard LT245/75R16-E... Come to find out there is a LT215/85R16-E available in a similar diameter and is skinny!

Why do we care about skinny? Because many of the older models have side skirts that cover the wheel well. With the 245s I would have to air down to get the wheel/tire out from under the skirt/axle as clearance is tight. Again, made for bias ply tires and not radial balloons.

The incredible Michelin LTX / Defender and General Grabber HD are available in this size which is very nice. Personally I chose the General Grabber HDs for this tire change interval as the price was hard to beat.

My tires dry rot before the mileage is even a concern and I am willing to bet most people here are in the same boat. Once I see cracks, they get replaced. FWIW the BFG Commercial TA tires do not last, terrible lifespan before cracking. The Firestone Transforce HT tires have a great lifespan, but are not a good driving tire so you win and loose there. Best by far have been the Michelin LTX / Defender tires if you can swing the ca$h. I'll see how the General Grabber HDs perform over the years and report back - eventually.

I hope this has been helpful. I should have the new tires mounted by the end of the week and can add additional detail on fitment.
Others: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion, 1983 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (FSJ) with 5.3 LS and SM465 conversion, 1979 Porsche 911SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote