Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2022, 05:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
aldinga beach , south australia
23fb tyres

so lots of help from searching forum....so wondering if i can have final clarity from peeps.

16" x7" rims
0 offset
114 pcd
83 bore

these are my upgrade rims

i intend to 3" lift later as here in australia its warranted where ill go ..however ill use my extreme offroad camper trailer for the real offroad stuff not the AS

currently have the #10 axels for my 2013 23fb inter...with 14" wheels.....(upgrading to 16")

my main question is whqt size would you go that will fit? without lift.

im leaning towards 215/70/16
the reason is i can get a 10ply in that size for our conditions semi offroad..and its a common tyre size here down under

thoughts?

ps. we no longer have regular stock of 215/75/14...so they have to go
baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Take a careful look at how AS did the entire wheel well on your trailer ( = there is some variation .....). In some cases the lift gives you a nice chunk of room up/down. You still have a bit of restriction front / back.

This is only partly related to wheels. You can put a "skinny" tire on a big wheel or a "fat" tire on a little one and both will have the same tire diameter. If supply over there is like supply here, shopping for 16" tires should give you more to pick between than 14" wheels.

The original tires should have been ST215/75 R14. You gain about 1.16" in diameter with the new wheels and the tires you are looking at. I'd bet they will fit ok.

That said, around here, there really aren't a lot of choices. Once you figure out that you want heavy duty tires from somebody you can trust .... slim pickings these days.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Take a careful look at how AS did the entire wheel well on your trailer ( = there is some variation .....). In some cases the lift gives you a nice chunk of room up/down. You still have a bit of restriction front / back.

This is only partly related to wheels. You can put a "skinny" tire on a big wheel or a "fat" tire on a little one and both will have the same tire diameter. If supply over there is like supply here, shopping for 16" tires should give you more to pick between than 14" wheels.

The original tires should have been ST215/75 R14. You gain about 1.16" in diameter with the new wheels and the tires you are looking at. I'd bet they will fit ok.

That said, around here, there really aren't a lot of choices. Once you figure out that you want heavy duty tires from somebody you can trust .... slim pickings these days.

Bob
cheers bob!...yep ive been running bfg for many years like a lot of us 4x4 peeps that i know...no blowouts or flats ...so will most likley go ko2 again for this upgrade ...ill keep to 215/70/16 as it seems to be a good choice it seems and the sidewqll ratio will limit the lateral flex that a high profile would have ...cheers again
Old 08-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Since our 2015 23FB had 14" tires on a #10 axle, I was told by Dexter that I should only upsize by 1", to 15" wheels and tires.

Something about the brakes could not safely handle the increase in mass by going any larger.

It was suggested that if I wanted to go to 16" wheels and tires, i should replace the axle with #11 that has larger brakes.

To be prudent, i took the advice and went to 15" Sendel wheels and Nokin AT LRE tires.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Since our 2015 23FB had 14" tires on a #10 axle, I was told by Dexter that I should only upsize by 1", to 15" wheels and tires.

Something about the brakes could not safely handle the increase in mass by going any larger.

It was suggested that if I wanted to go to 16" wheels and tires, i should replace the axle with #11 that has larger brakes.

To be prudent, i took the advice and went to 15" Sendel wheels and Nokin AT LRE tires.
oh snap!!!!!

first ive heard of this!

hmmmm thats a curve ball
Old 08-11-2022, 11:07 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As long as the mass of the trailer isn't changing, the effort the brakes need to provide also does not change in any significant way. That's not to say the brakes do a great job. They very much do not. However the bigger rims by themselves are not going to nuke the brakes.

If you *do* take Dexter at their word, you very much need to know what the tire size involved is. The diameter of the tire is what would matter. In this case, by going to slightly different spec tires, the result is closer to a 15" wheel than the typical 16"

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

As long as the mass of the trailer isn't changing, the effort the brakes need to provide also does not change in any significant way. That's not to say the brakes do a great job. They very much do not. However the bigger rims by themselves are not going to nuke the brakes.

If you *do* take Dexter at their word, you very much need to know what the tire size involved is. The diameter of the tire is what would matter. In this case, by going to slightly different spec tires, the result is closer to a 15" wheel than the typical 16"

Bob
indeed
my rolling mass may be exactly the same ..due to having less profile ratio ...and more alloy...and only increasing the OD by 1" going from 14" to 16"

maybe good to go[emoji106]
Old 08-12-2022, 07:07 AM   #8
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
A word of caution about tire load carrying capacity.

Be sure to match the original tire's load carrying capacity. If I have this right, you will need 5 psi more (rounded up!).

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote