Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
1970 tradewind spare tire questions...

Hello,and Thank you for any help you may give ....I need to know the lug pattern ,and what size spare tire to buy so I can have one available when I go pick up my trailer for the first time!!! any help would be great !
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
My 1970 Safari has six lug wheel with 15 inch tires. You need a trailer rated wheel such as Inland RV has as a car or truck wheel is not strong enough. I like a "D" or "E" rated tire. I think "E" rating is ten ply rated. The cheap tires may work on short trips but will come apart at highway speeds and long pulls. Great luck with your new Airstream!
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
oh by the way....the current owner says this trailer weighs in at almost 7,000 lbs is this correct ? according to http://www.airstream.com/docs/weights-1.pdf they say it weighs in at 4 and change,,,who is right ???>
Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Rollerboy,

The airstream data should be close. I doubt it is anywhere near 7K pounds. The high bias tire for that trailer should be a 700-15 load D. for a radial 225-75-15 load D.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
15x6, zero offset, 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. 3 11/16 min. center bore.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
oh by the way....the current owner says this trailer weighs in at almost 7,000 lbs is this correct ? according to http://www.airstream.com/docs/weights-1.pdf they say it weighs in at 4 and change,,,who is right ???>
The docs are giving the dry weight , the loaded weight ( GVWR ) is substantially more . My '76 GVWR is 5800#. It would probably take a 31 footer to get to the 7000#.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
We are buying it for sure !!!!! shooting to pick it up this Saturday,but not locked into that day for sure,may have to wait another week for my nerves..... it has not rolled in 5 years,and may need some on the spot work.... will keep you all posted !! Thank You All...........So may questions yet to come....
Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
rims

Quote:
lug pattern
If you have trouble finding the rims???

We also have the old style Dexters in 13 14 and 15 inch.

Dan
Old 08-04-2008, 04:26 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Bought it ! cleaned it up,camped in it !!!Love it ,now where does the spare tire get stored ? kinda gets old tossing it in the back of our van..... heard it originally went underneath the very front of the trailer,but would that not seriously mess with your ground clearance ?Thanks for any help...
Old 08-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
..... heard it originally went underneath the very front of the trailer,but would that not seriously mess with your ground clearance ?Thanks for any help...
It does not decrease the ground clearance at all - more than half of the tire depth is buried into the A-frame

As you can see from the pic below you can barely tell the spare is there without kneeling down to inspect the underbelly.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
ok,call me slow but when I looked underneath my trailer today it was indeed a smooth bottom(without the weldnuts that I heard most trailers come with so shall I mount on the underside of the tongue?please advise....Thank You !!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When the spare tire carrier is installed a section of the belly pan is removed. The exposed floor (bottom side) is then covered with aluminum skin to protect it. The mounting for the carrier goes in the first cross member.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
It does not decrease the ground clearance at all - more than half of the tire depth is buried into the A-frame

As you can see from the pic below you can barely tell the spare is there without kneeling down to inspect the underbelly.
I like it.
How hard is it to get up and down?

I have always thought that the spare tire rack that Airstream designed made the tire hard to get up into the rack. It may be that all in all, that design may be the best that can be done for the given area.

Dan
Old 08-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have the factory setup for our spare, and I can tell you with no doubt it is 10 times easier than removing the spare from out F250. The "secret" is to roll the tire into the bracket, then lie down and basically bench-press the assembly into place.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Thank you for posting the picture ,sure looks great tucked in there...nice and safe,If I drill out my rivets in the belly pan what are the chances the weld nuts are already there? or is it futile to try and install there without knowing if I have the factory setup underneath the belly skin ...Thanks !!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
My 77 Overlander does not have the space under the bow for the spare , even though my 73 does. Can I just cut it out ,add a water proofing,make bracket and put spare there.Owners manuel says I don`t need a spare, I can run on 3 wheels. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Can I just cut it out ,add a water proofing,make bracket and put spare there.
Dave
Dave Yes you can cut it out and put a tire rack like this one........

Spare Tire Rack.

Or design something like 87MH did.

It will need to be sealed under there. Whenever we have done it here in the shop, we have cut a piece of metal screwed it to the floor then sealed.

Yes you can run on three wheels, but I would only do it for a short distance. I would be afraid the extra pressure would make the other tire on that side go.

Also, having the spare will allow you to be able to get your unit to a place where getting it fixed won't be so expensive. You know how it is, when your out there on the road.

Dan
Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
Dave Yes you can cut it out and put a tire rack like this one........

Spare Tire Rack.

Or design something like 87MH did.

It will need to be sealed under there. Whenever we have done it here in the shop, we have cut a piece of metal screwed it to the floor then sealed.

Yes you can run on three wheels, but I would only do it for a short distance. I would be afraid the extra pressure would make the other tire on that side go.

Also, having the spare will allow you to be able to get your unit to a place where getting it fixed won't be so expensive. You know how it is, when your out there on the road.

Dan

I think I`ll make my own ,I know it will be a lot cheaper. I have some black iron,a bender,and a welder,now all I need is the time and a cool day,maybe December .Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
The spare can be removed/replaced without mussing your Sunday cloths, if you're careful. Very easy.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #20

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Cool

Quote:
We are buying it for sure !!!!! shooting to pick it up this Saturday,but not locked into that day for sure,may have to wait another week for my nerves..... it has not rolled in 5 years,and may need some on the spot work.... will keep you all posted !! Thank You All...........So may questions yet to come....
If I were picking up this trailer & towing it home on old tires, I'd splurge & take two spares with me. My reasoning is that if one old tire lets go big time after being aired up and towed, the others are not far behind. If you have a second spare, you've got a fighting chance to get to the tire store before all of the old tires self-destruct.

The voice of experience (but I ALWAYS carry 2 spares for EVERYTHING).

John Alldredge
Drabble is offline   Reply With Quote