Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
2005 25' International CCD
San Antonio , Texas
Lightbulb 1967 Axle and Tire Replacement Recommendation

First off, I am new at this. i recently bought a 1967 airstream ambassador and am in the process of ordering new axles from Inland. The current tires likely need to go to but i wanted to get some recommendation for this vintage. They currently have a set of 6 ply 15 X 7LT tires (in really good shape) on what appears to be the original set of rims. What tires would best replace these? Radials/bias ply?
Nomad_Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Hi! and welcome! There are varying opinions on tires. This is one of my favorite threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-29435.html

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Nomad,

Eljay gave you a link to a very long thread - and unfortuantely, it has some bad information in it - and in partcular from Andy at Inland RV Center.

So allow me to start over.

You have a trailer with a 7.00-15LT. I'm going to guess the tire is a 6 Ply Rating - now known as a Load Range C. You need to check that, because the load carrying capacity is extremely important as overloaded tires can fail - and fail catastrophically with little warniing.

7.00-15's are a little hard to find. Your best source is the internet as the local tire store probably doesn't even know what those are.

But there are some alternatives that may be a bit easier to find - so here's the math:

A 7.00-15LT Load Range C is 29.6" in diameter, 8.0" wide on a 5.5" rim, with a load carrying capacity of 1710# at 45 psi (50 for radial tires)

An ST205/75R15 Load Range C is 27.1" in diameter, 8.0" wide on a 5.5" rim, with a load carrying capacity of 1820# at 50 psi. A side note: You can also use a Load Range D - if you decide to go the ST direction I would recommend that you do.

Now some folks are not fans of ST type tires and may recommend an LT235/75R15 Load Range - which is 28.9" in diameter, 9.3" wide on a 6.5" rim (it doesn't fit on a 5.5" rim) and has a load carrying capacity of 1985# at 50 psi. Please note the width and the rim width issue.

And here is where Andy was wrong: Youy CAN use a higher Load Range IF the load doesn't change. It isn't the tire that causes wheels to fail - it's the load. And so long as you are using the same load on the wheel, it doesn't matter how high in Load Range you go.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_Tex View Post
First off, I am new at this. i recently bought a 1967 airstream ambassador and am in the process of ordering new axles from Inland. The current tires likely need to go to but i wanted to get some recommendation for this vintage. They currently have a set of 6 ply 15 X 7LT tires (in really good shape) on what appears to be the original set of rims. What tires would best replace these? Radials/bias ply?
Hi Nomad,
Capri Racer knows what he is talking about.

I use, and highly recommend, the Michelin LTX M/S2 P 235/75/15 XL tires. If you are looking for something more original looking, then I recommend the Yokohama RY 215 7r15LT

Have fun!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
1967 Axle and Tire Replacement Recommendation

Thanks everybody.

Sounds like the big winner is the Michelin LTX M/S2P 235/75/15XL, but i will be needing new rims to boot..? The original rims are 15X5.5 and these tires require 15X6.5 ? Guessing my local tire shop could confirm but you guys are more credible.

Presumably there are no clearance issues....the current tires seem like a pretty tight fit....
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Thanks everybody.

Sounds like the big winner is the Michelin LTX M/S2P 235/75/15XL, but i will be needing new rims to boot..? The original rims are 15X5.5 and these tires require 15X6.5 ? Guessing my local tire shop could confirm but you guys are more credible.

Presumably there are no clearance issues....the current tires seem like a pretty tight fit....

I would check the clearance very carefully BEFORE pulling the trigger.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Here is a reference to a nice looking tire that is in your fitment “Ball Park”

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Cargo+G26&si dewall=Blackwall&partnum=97R5G26&tab=Specs

BA
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Not to belabor the point but it looks like I found a tire that is the exact same dimension as my current 15 x 7....the Carlisle Sport Trail ST205/90 R 15. Anybody have any experience with these? Apparently Carlisle is owned by Goodyear.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Load range D.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Not to belabor the point but it looks like I found a tire that is the exact same dimension as my current 15 x 7....the Carlisle Sport Trail ST205/90 R 15. Anybody have any experience with these? Apparently Carlisle is owned by Goodyear.

Good find, but I think you'll find that Carlisle is its own company. They may farm out the making of tires to Goodyear (I doubt it!), but would be the exyent of their relationship.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
I bought a set of these (LR-C) at Discount Tire before I towed my '51 Flying cloud home from the Florida panhandle. It was the least expensive "get home" option that would fit. It was just a few weeks ago. The tires felt unusually warm after a long stretch of road. I was towing at 55MPH and the ambient temps were in the mid 50s to 60s. After I got back and weighed the trailer I had 2,680 pounds on the axle. I know some people that love bias ply tires. The Carlisle Sport trail in particular. I will be replacing them with a set of Continental Vanco 2 215/70/15 LR-D before any extended towing in high temps.

Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Ummm, I wouldn't make a habit of ignoring what Andy says. Imagine being on trial for involuntary manslaughter for a highway accident that you caused and your defense is "I did the opposite of what one of the nations top experts on Airstreams said to do. I don't understand what went wrong."
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
Ummm, I wouldn't make a habit of ignoring what Andy says. Imagine being on trial for involuntary manslaughter for a highway accident that you caused and your defense is "I did the opposite of what one of the nations top experts on Airstreams said to do. I don't understand what went wrong."
If there was an accident with the person being at fault it would be a rare to have a civil trial. Most insurance companies just write a check. A criminal trail is unheard of. And bad attorney's advise be to put the person cited for at fault on the stand. That almost never happens.

With that said, Nations top expert rating is one I have not seen.

>>>>>Action
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I had Carlisles. Mine failed randomly in rather catastrophic fashion even though I am downright anal about tire maintenance. Never again.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Point taken on the Carlisles....stay far away....

New axles are on the way...so once in place clearance will undoubtedly change, but given today's measurements, the MichelinLT235/75R15 will be too close to the skin apron particularly on the front tires. So I am left with the following near 15x7 sizing:
1) Continental Vanco 2 215/70/15 LR-D
2) Maxxis M8008 ST Radial
3) Yokohama RY 215 7r15LT

Tomorrow is the last day of the discount tire sale and they are seeing what of these three are available. If anybody has a strong visceral view feel free to spew it out....
Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
@ Action: I'll state it a different way then.

Imagine how a normal person would feel if they caused a death due to ignoring the advice of someone with decades of experience on the topic.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
@ Action: I'll state it a different way then.

Imagine how a normal person would feel if they caused a death due to ignoring the advice of someone with decades of experience on the topic.
I'll point out here that CapriRacer is a tire engineer. If I'm going to choose between them on tire advice, I think I'd go with the tire engineer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Thanks DKB, that sounds reasonable in the context of that application outlined by CapriRacer.

I have question/concerns (not being sarcastic).
So IF there is risk of wheel damage by using that wheel/tire assembly in a higher rated application, I would still have reservations. Reason is the wheel/tire assembly has a lower rating than is indicated on the tire. That assembly might be on a flatbed trailer next year (with a new owner) and used according to the tire's rating resulting in wheel damage.

Second one, doesn't the higher rated tire have a stiffer sidewall? One concern regarding stiffer rides is possible AS damage, ie missing rivits.

I have some other tire questions but I'll start a new thread for those CapriRacer; I hope that you'll chime in because I'd like to get your thoughts.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
First, I want to thank folks for the vote of confidence. I'm not an RV'er. My intent is to help folks with tire questions - and as you all know, there's a lot of strongly held opinions with very little evidence. I want to cut through that to get at the "truth" - as best I can.

So onto the questions:
Quote:
Thanks DKB, that sounds reasonable in the context of that application outlined by CapriRacer.

I have question/concerns (not being sarcastic).
So IF there is risk of wheel damage by using that wheel/tire assembly in a higher rated application, I would still have reservations. Reason is the wheel/tire assembly has a lower rating than is indicated on the tire. That assembly might be on a flatbed trailer next year (with a new owner) and used according to the tire's rating resulting in wheel damage......
I can appreciate the thought, but I think we're talking about a situation where the trailer is an RV and there's a problem to be solved. The load on the tire isn't changing, it's a question of using a tire with a higher POTENTIAL load carrying capacity - and that's going in the right direction. What happens later - when things are not in the hands of the guy who makes such a change - is an unlikely situation.

Quote:

Second one, doesn't the higher rated tire have a stiffer sidewall? One concern regarding stiffer rides is possible AS damage, ie missing rivits........
Yes, they have a stiffer sidewall, but it isn't like the tire is TWICE as stiff. If a trailer can't withstand that small difference, then it was only a matter of time before the problems would have surfaced anyway.

Quote:
I have some other tire questions but I'll start a new thread for those CapriRacer; I hope that you'll chime in because I'd like to get your thoughts.
My pleasure. Always available to questions.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, I want to thank folks for the vote of confidence. I'm not an RV'er. My intent is to help folks with tire questions - and as you all know, there's a lot of strongly held opinions with very little evidence. I want to cut through that to get at the "truth" - as best I can.

So onto the questions:

I can appreciate the thought, but I think we're talking about a situation where the trailer is an RV and there's a problem to be solved. The load on the tire isn't changing, it's a question of using a tire with a higher POTENTIAL load carrying capacity - and that's going in the right direction. What happens later - when things are not in the hands of the guy who makes such a change - is an unlikely situation.

Yes, they have a stiffer sidewall, but it isn't like the tire is TWICE as stiff. If a trailer can't withstand that small difference, then it was only a matter of time before the problems would have surfaced anyway.

My pleasure. Always available to questions.

Your thought's on updating old wheels from "C" that was used for many years, to "D" rating tires, or "E" ratings.

I was told many times that the wheel will split.

Dozens of times, that has been reported to me over the years.

Some say impossible.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags