Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2024, 09:50 AM   #1
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
16 inch ST trailer tires that fit wheel well

I had a blowout a few weeks ago in Alabama as we headed to Florida. The blowout was caused by a Nev-R-Lube bearing failure going about 35mph. The wheel cocked and destroyed the tire, rim, caliper, caliper yoke, and break pads. While waiting for extremely OVER PRICED Dexter parts to ship to a local brake shop, I called Discount Tire in Panama City about replacing my 16 inch Sendel rim and Michelin XPS RIB tire. I mentioned it was going on a travel trailer and they refused to sell to me. They said they were not allowed to put LT tires on trailers like this, it was against company policy because it is dangerous.

So I am thinking about switching back to a ST tire. Any suggestions for 16 inch ST tires that fit the Airstream’s wheel well?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 01-26-2024, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
The Goodyear Endurance does come in a 16” size, it’s a 235/80R16 size; it’ll be a little wider and taller than a 225/75 size.

Used to, to get away from the previous problematic Marathons, people were switching to 16” wheels to run Michelins; even the factory did this. Now that the Marathons have been replaced with the Endurance, which is a much better tire, there’s not as much need going to the 16” wheel over the 15”. However, you have three other 16” wheels already, makes sense to stick with it.

My suggestion is, go find where Airstream is using 16” Michelins on trailers from the factory, show that to Discount Tire, that you’re simply following the manufacturer.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:33 AM   #3
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Thanks Leslie. So Airstream put LT tires on new Airstreams from the factory?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 01-26-2024, 10:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Yes for any trailers with 16" wheels such as the Classic and Tradewind (TW). For the Classic they use Michelins and for the TW they use Goodyears.

Trying to convince the local place that it is appropriate is going to be an uphill battle. My recommendation would be to either:
  1. Try another Discount tire location and be vague about what it is for and just take the rim to them for mounting.
  2. Order the tire from Tire Rack and have it delivered to a local mom/pop shop that wouldn't really care about what it's for.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have had Discount Tire mount P XL tires on a trailer. Maybe they have updated their company policy since 2 years ago? You need to call a different tire store. I thought the XPS RIB tire is a trailer tire? Find a different tire store.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 12:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Xps ribs

Unfortunately, many places that deal with the public have policies to seemingly protect themselves from potential liability. Many times these policies are are based on non existent issues that have been placed into the business practice for no logical reason.

Many forum members as well as the Airstream factory use LT tires on trailers. I have been using Ribs on RV's for twenty years, the last ten on my Airstream. I would not use anything else.

Time to find another tire shop, and if I may make a suggestion, find a mobile tire installer. That way you only deal with one technician and you may avoid several other unforeseen issues that are possible.

Best of luck
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:49 PM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Sky, The policy is likely a store policy and not a company policy.

Likely someone got underrated LT tires at that store or a nearby one and had issues.
Trust me Discount Tire is headquartered in Phoenix and they have a store on every street. (OK that was an exaggeration)
And getting a DT store to install non-ST tires on a travel trailer happens.

Also know that Michelin does not make or recommend any of their tires on trailers.
Do tire stores, owners and Airstream install Michelin tires on trailers, yes they do. However the "official" position of Michelin is they only make passenger (P) and light truck (LT) tires for those applications.
And that particular Discount Tire store maybe following some tire manufacturer's published data.

Find a different store or use Goodyear ST Endurance trailer tires. Which were made for trailer only applications.

Action
Old 01-26-2024, 03:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
I just called my Discount Tire and they don't have any ST tires in my wheel size. (225/75/R16)

They've never had the slightest issue with putting LT tires on my '22 Spaceliner.

They're suggesting the HT Pathfinder (made by Hankook) which I am thinking about trying. If I'm going to replace every 5 years anyway, why spend a lot? They have a 45,000 mile warranty...just not the high performance tread of the Michelins but who cares on a trailer?
Old 02-07-2024, 10:17 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Been using the 16” Michelin XPS tires for years on my airstream. Even Michelin recommends them and the mileage and the way are wonderful.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I just had LT tires installed at America's Tire on 01/15. Evidently policies vary based on location. They replaced existing Michelin LT tires, so maybe not a problem for them. They even replaced my existing 15 inch Goodyear Marathon spare with a new 15 inch Goodyear Endurance.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:28 AM   #11
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
Been using the 16” Michelin XPS tires for years on my airstream. Even Michelin recommends them and the mileage and the way are wonderful.
I also have been using 16” Sendel Rims and Michelin XPS ribs on my 27FBQ and they are working out real well.
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Dale, hope you are well bud! We have LT tires on our 30 Classic (2019), and while the current tires are not from the factory, I believe they are installing LT tires from the factory. But go figure.

Not sure your year trailer, but there were some Dexter issues. We had a brake lock up on us and when we brought our trailer in for service (at the time at Southland just outside of Atlanta) they presented the issue to either Airstream or directly to Dexter and Dexter warranted new brakes and paid for one damaged tire. At the time we were just at the end of warranty, even though we had bought a used trailer.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

New Braunfels , Texas
Nev -r-lube has a 5 year warranty on their bearing. They will send the whole set….and paid for 2.5 hrs of repair work
Jtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Attached is a screen grab from the video on the Airstream web site that features the Classic 30'. If you click on the photo you can see that they have used Michelin Agilis Cross Climate 225/75R16 LT-Metric tires on 16" Sendel wheels as their OEM fitment.

As mentioned above, if your local Discount Tire won't install these for you, you can order the tires from the Tire Rack and they will recommend local independent installers to mount the tires. That's what I did, although I installed the new tires/wheels on the trailer myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sendel center caps.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	440833  

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:19 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
Michelin does not make trailer tires.
And Michelin does not recommend any of their tires on a trailer.

Tire dealers, Air Stream and consumers put Michelins on trailers. But Michelin has never recommended their tires (all non-ST) to be used for trailer service.

Action
Old 02-07-2024, 02:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave503 View Post
I just called my Discount Tire and they don't have any ST tires in my wheel size. (225/75/R16)

They've never had the slightest issue with putting LT tires on my '22 Spaceliner.

They're suggesting the HT Pathfinder (made by Hankook) which I am thinking about trying. If I'm going to replace every 5 years anyway, why spend a lot? They have a 45,000 mile warranty...just not the high performance tread of the Michelins but who cares on a trailer?
When you go to 16s, there are a lot of LT options. I used Yokohama Geolander H/TS (highway tread, not all-terrain) on a 1975 Airstream for quite a few years. The size was 215/75/15, Load Range C. They were perfect for that trailer and performed very well. AFAIK, the 15" LTs are no longer made.

I'd take the Hankooks over ST tires - but that's my preference. I choose to go with what I believe to be safest overall, not what a tire retailer believes will protect them from liability if something goes wrong.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fayetteville , Arizona
Airstream still installs 16 inch Michelin tires the bigger trailers. Airstream service will “upgrade” your trailer to the Michelin 16 inch wheels. .Michelin inflation charts include charts for RV usage only. Guess what? They are 16 inch LTs... ACI has arrangements for discounts on Michelin and Goodyear ST tires there’s probably no need to go to the 16 inch tire. ACI has arranged a 15% discount for Good Year Tires. However, if you are a USAA member you can get 20% off.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Michelin

This Spring at JC repair in Ohio I asked for the same 16 rims and tires that were on the Classic. My Flying Cloud now has a set they came right off the assembly line floor over to service. 10k miles on them not a problem. Our trailer has been lifted 3 inches also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Attached is a screen grab from the video on the Airstream web site that features the Classic 30'. If you click on the photo you can see that they have used Michelin Agilis Cross Climate 225/75R16 LT-Metric tires on 16" Sendel wheels as their OEM fitment.

As mentioned above, if your local Discount Tire won't install these for you, you can order the tires from the Tire Rack and they will recommend local independent installers to mount the tires. That's what I did, although I installed the new tires/wheels on the trailer myself.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
This Spring at JC repair in Ohio I asked for the same 16 rims and tires that were on the Classic. My Flying Cloud now has a set they came right off the assembly line floor over to service. 10k miles on them not a problem. Our trailer has been lifted 3 inches also.
Great that they provided those for you and that they have been working well. I got my Sendel wheels and the Michelin tires from separate vendors but they are also the exact ones used on the Classic.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
St <> lt <> p <> ????

This thread shows why some companies and tire stores refuse to change tire types and or sizes and or Load range.

No mentions of tire load capacity or Load Range or inflation requirements.

Some LT tires can be used on some RVs BUT attention needs to be paid to the load capacity of the tires which should ALWAYS be equal to or greater than the tires coming off. BUT I do wonder how many of the AS owners pay attention to the type tire they are considering, especially after reading this thread that makes no mention of Load Capacity of the new or old tires they are posting about or adjustments to the cold inflation numbers.

The above isn't 100% of the story as the use of any P type tire on an RV requires that the stated load capacity of the P tire be reduced by 10%.

Many people want to blame the tire when they suffer a failure but the reality is that the MAJORITY of RV on the road today have one or more tires is overload and just meeting the load capacity of the tire still ignors the internal structural forces such as Interply Shear which can place stains that are 24% higher that the same tire would experience on a pickup even with identical loading.