Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
In the AS supplied owners manuel in my old 66 24ft , the manufactuer states that if one of your tires goes flat, run the other tire up on some blocks, take the flat tire and wheel off, then proceed down the road with just the one tire holding up that side of the trailer while the other hub hangs there and does nothing.
this was with 700/15 nylon bias ply tires. before the lawyers got involved !!!!
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #142
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ken, now that I'm back to the internet after 3 days camping, I can answer your question, but you've already ordered them.

But, if you hadn't, we went with LTX. The Rib is a commercial truck tire made to be retreaded many times and made to be used in and around cities. It has a stiffer sidewall than the LTX and that may be getter for backing a trailer at an acute angle. The LTX is an excellent mud and snow tire, cheaper, made for highway miles and has worked great for us.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #143
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Ken, now that I'm back to the internet after 3 days camping, I can answer your question, but you've already ordered them.

But, if you hadn't, we went with LTX. The Rib is a commercial truck tire made to be retreaded many times and made to be used in and around cities. It has a stiffer sidewall than the LTX and that may be getter for backing a trailer at an acute angle. The LTX is an excellent mud and snow tire, cheaper, made for highway miles and has worked great for us.

Gene
I'm sure it was your telepathic projection of your guru like guidance that lead me to the proper decison.
This is guru telepathic projection.
Ken

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #144
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I'm sure it was your telepathic projection of your guru like guidance that lead me to the proper decison.
This is guru telepathic projection.
Ken

Ken
Apparently the bonking resulted in your signing your name twice.

Gene
Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Quote:
Apparently the bonking resulted in your signing your name twice.

Gene
The second one is my evil alter ego. Believe or not, I am the good one.

Ken

Ken

Ken

Dang here's that other guy again. You don't want to know what he does.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

The second one is my evil alter ego. Believe or not, I am the good one.

Ken

Ken

Ken

Dang here's that other guy again. You don't want to know what he does.
Crap I need new tires mind are 7 year old Carlisle's What rims did you get, and where did you get them from.

Gene did you switch to 16" rims too. I either need rims and tires or just get some 15" tires. But I want new ones before we go to yellowstone over labor day.

What do you guys think

Jason

Jason

Jason

Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #147
Rivet Master

Wheels

I got the Sendel T-03s There are shown in the below link. I got the black with machined rim. Basically the front is all silver, but the back parts of the wheel are black.

I bought them and the tires at Discount Tires. I could not find a better price on the tires and the wheels I got at the price in the link (due to DTs price matching), so a saved a couple bucks a wheel. The performance plus price looks better than that, but the handling charge in fine print puts then within a couple bucks of DT price. Now through 9/3 Michelin has a $70 dollar rebate if you buy 4 tires. The form is attached.

SENDEL WHEELS and Rims - Wheels and Rims from Performance Plus Tire

Ken (the other two are gone for now)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OLF0812MXFallPromoRedFrm.pdf (247.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #148
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jason, Jason, Jason, Jason,

We switched to 16" several years ago. The wheels are Tredit. Make sure you have the proper offset. In recent years that has been 0˚, but your trailer may be different. Look on the wheels and you may see the offset on them. If not, check with Airstream.

Discount Tire in GJ can order anything and will bargain over prices sometimes. They can usually get them in a day or two since the warehouse is in Phoenix. It may be easier to pick up the mounted tires in GJ and put them on yourself since the store has limited parking (almost none for a trailer). Make sure the tires will fit on your Ambassador. Check tire diameter on the tire company website—they are all a bit different. I measured several times to make sure because wheel cutouts can differ.

Also get new metal valve stems. If you have TPMS sensors, make sure the valve stems are long enough for them.

Gene (one is more than enough)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Thanks fellow Coloradoians, I will do some measuring this week and get them ordered. Picking them up is probably the best. Not to big a deal to put them on. Plus I don't really want to haul the trailer up there.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #150
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Thanks fellow Coloradoians, I will do some measuring this week and get them ordered. Picking them up is probably the best. Not to big a deal to put them on. Plus I don't really want to haul the trailer up there.
Discount Tire is only about 2 miles from me. However I'm putting mine on myself for the following reasons.
1. I will take my time and not be in a rush
2. If something ends up not working, I won't have the trailer down there with a wheel or 2 off.
3. It is a crowded lot with a lot of traffic and everyone is in a hurry.
4. I'm sure that would be the day the old lady in a Buick puts her foot on the accelerator instead of the brake and doesn't stop until the Airstream has a new side cargo door.

Ken
Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Discount Tire is only about 2 miles from me. However I'm putting mine on myself for the following reasons.
1. I will take my time and not be in a rush
2. If something ends up not working, I won't have the trailer down there with a wheel or 2 off.
3. It is a crowded lot with a lot of traffic and everyone is in a hurry.
4. I'm sure that would be the day the old lady in a Buick puts her foot on the accelerator instead of the brake and doesn't stop until the Airstream has a new side cargo door.

Ken
DT is about 50 or so miles from us. And those are very good reason to do it yourself... I might also check my local shop to see what they can do for me. I buy my tires from them because I don't have to drive far to get them rotated or balanced, and it's only a few $$ more and I would use that in gas.. But the trailer isn't as big a deal.. I try to support the local guy as we have a local business too..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #152
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Centramatics or BalanceMaster, too, guys.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
All ready have Centramatics on..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #154
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jason, my experiences with local tire dealers have not been good. That's why I went back to Discount Tire despite the crowded parking.

Gene
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Jason, my experiences with local tire dealers have not been good. That's why I went back to Discount Tire despite the crowded parking.

Gene
My experiences with Discount Tire when I lived in Austin were excellent! Best dealings I've ever had with a tire dealer.

Wish they would put one in Little Rock.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #156
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
DISCOUNT TIRE can vary store to store. In Dallas I used to make a 27-mile highway run -- bypassing seven others -- to one run by an extremely savvy manager. The local Corvette, Ferrari and other exotic owners felt the same way.

The one I use the most locally is pretty good. I'm in there recently on a weekly basis adjusting my TV tire pressure in 5-lb increments to find the correct pressure rise for the current load and 70+ mph runs (after wheel weight numbers were acquired).

The "new" digital air machine mounted on the wall just outside the office door to the shop (at the overhead door itself) is a bulletproof simple manner of using this chain to full effect. I'm in and out in minutes, and the tech and I have no reason to squabble over gauge accuracy: I back to that door, go inside to ask for a pressure check, head back out to remove the covers, and am usually gone again in less than 10-minutes.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Replacement 16" XPS Rib tires ordered

Purchased the entire replacement tire system through Discount Tire (DT) in Bee Cave, Tx. Attached is the bill of sale. It includes 5 matching rims, caps, new lugs, 5 matching 225/75R16 Michelin XPS RIB tires, the lifetime replacement warranty, and removal and recycle of tires from older 15" rims. Price out the door $2493.70.

With this we will have full DT support when we travel.

The price difference was $305/tire for Michelin XPS RIB LT225/75R16E1 115R B vs $207/tire for Michelin LTX M/S2 LT225/75R16E1 115R B.

Blake Baucom, the DT Asst. manager, ordered several XPS Ribs while we were there. Another customer bought 6 for his goose-neck horse trailer.

Should have remainder of trailer repairs completed by end of week at North Dallas RV. Will take new tires there for replacement before returning home.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120820_discountTire_XPS-1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	166309  
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Gklott,

Just looked at your invoice. Discount Tire entered the $70 rebate from Michelin on the last line, but entered $0 under Amount column. Also, the totals at the bottom do NOT reflect the $70 rebate.

If the sales person didn't catch this when you paid, Discount Tire still owes you $70.

Congratulations on your XPS Ribs, the most expensive and toughest tire one can buy in this size. No more tire worries!

Happy Trails!

Phoenix
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
The invoice entry indicates that you are eligible for the $70 rebate. You submit that separately with your invoice information, and it comes as a VISA gift card.
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #160
Rivet Master

New Wheels and tires.

Here is a picture of the new (today) Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16E's .
The wheels are Sendel T-03 BM (Black wheels with machined face).

I don't think you can see them, but I also ahd Centramatics put on at the same time

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-23_13-54-02_121.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	166554