Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
Yeah $19.99, buy one every time you need one. 👎🥴👎

Whenever I need crap, I go to HF. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
.....I got 2 ....1/2” drive air wrenches for $35... I. The middle 1980’s,..the did a lot of wrenching in the dirt over the years...and they are still running....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I recently purchased an Aircat 1150 and it is a beast! I owned a mechanical shop for 42 years and have used a lot of impact wrenches. I have a Snao-On, MAC, And several others in my tool box and none compare to the Aircat.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Dewalt DCF899H - This version has the hog ring anvil. It's also available with the detent anvil DCF899P. Amazingly powerful. It available in a couple of different kit's or solo...check the Dewalt site for details on the kits and then shop for the kit of choice.

I got this to keep things simple and fast on the road. No lug wrenches or ratchets straining at the roadside...just spin off the nuts and move on with the fix.

When I was shopping for it earlier this year, there were a variety of youtube reviews on the driver. Folks were just running out of old rusted frame bolts to break free and there were others using it to break free 18 wheeler tractor trailer lug nuts. Typically those would be done by a 3/4" drive air driven tool.

This driver gave me portable operation with rechargeable batteries and solid performance. Putting the lugs back on the Duramax I just snugged the lugs so I could put the 140lbs on by hand with a torque wrench. The driver would've certainly exceeded that value. Works great on your hitch bolts too...

Good luck with your choice!

Tom - S/OS #025
I second the motion for Dewalt 1/2" drive 20v impact wrench. I have the one linked below and it outperforms my air wrenches. With 2 batteries and a charger that will plug into my inverter socket in my truck, I can handle anything.

DEWALT DCF899B 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench with Detent Anvil
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc
$229.00
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Hello everyone,
I've finally decided.
Originally, I was leaning to the air impact wrench but my compressor could not handle the cfm required. So instead of a new compressor, hose, hose reel, and impact and a spot in the garage that's already packed to the rafters, I opted for a impact that will do my lug nuts on the dually and also one that I can take with me in my truck.
I'm going with the battery powered DeWalt DCF899H (this DeWalt was mentioned several times in the thread). I also ordered a set of impact
deep socket metric and one set of inch calibrated ones.
Again, thanks all! It was a difficult decision and many options, and opinions, but without your help I probably would have chosen poorly. I know that originally wanted to keep this all to about $150. I had to throw that out the window pretty early in the search. It never fails to happen that way!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The brushless 899h?
Excellent choice, I don't use their impact gun but all the other Dewalt cordless I use have been very dependable. 👍

Bob
👍
Old 12-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The brushless 899h?
Excellent choice, I don't use their impact gun but all the other Dewalt cordless I use have been very dependable. ��

Bob
��
Thanks Bob,
Everything I've been able to read about the DCF899H it says it's pretty good. In my last post I forgot to write down all the letters in the part number. It should read DCF899HP2. I think those extra letters just mean it's a packaged deal that includes 2 batteries, plug in charger, and a tool bag. You are right it is brushless. I'll receive it next week and will post my first impression of it once I try it out on those stubborn truck lug nuts.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Seems the tire and wheel guys over torque them. I keep saying only torque them at 140 lbs. max. but,, that seems to fall on deaf ears.
I'd find a different garage to work on my vehicle. If they're ham-fisted morons that pay no attention to specs, or even the owner, what else are they doing that you don't even know about?
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Berea , Kentucky
impact

I've been breaking things for over fifty years and we always had an electric impact at the tire rack. I currently use one of these, mostly for wheel lugs, and I am very pleased with it. An advantage to the electric over air is that if I only need to change out wheels, I don't have to crank up the compressor. https://images.homedepot-static.com/...92-64_1000.jpg
smcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Just get a 1/2” breaker bar and the correct impact duty socket to get them loose. Cheap and easy to carry anywhere.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Milwaukee impact and other Milwaukee brand power tools that use the M18 battery. I have all their M18 battery powered tools and use them all the time.

No failures, no cords, no air and they are portable and rechargeable on the go!

Yes on OLD lug nut and other nuts that have been not removed in years I will use a breaker bar and the proper tools to "Break" the nuts loose from the studs/bolts BEFORE I use the impact or other power tools!

As far as lugnut's to tight on your late model car DEMAND they use manual tools and a torque wrench to properly tighten the lug nuts or go somewhere else for service.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Milwaukee impact and other Milwaukee brand power tools that use the M18 battery. I have all their M18 battery powered tools and use them all the time.

No failures, no cords, no air and they are portable and rechargeable on the go!

Yes on OLD lug nut and other nuts that have been not removed in years I will use a breaker bar and the proper tools to "Break" the nuts loose from the studs/bolts BEFORE I use the impact or other power tools!

As far as lugnut's to tight on your late model car DEMAND they use manual tools and a torque wrench to properly tighten the lug nuts or go somewhere else for service.
IMO a impact is better to break loose as bar will twist stud off easier than impact as the hammer pulse works better. I have twisted to many off by using bar never w/impact. I have wrenched for over 60 yrs. lots of no nos in those yrs. Plus quite a few yrs wrenching also did pro racing stock cars, midgets, sprint cars, motocross, and motorcycle dirt track. My youngest son also pro mech. says same thing about twisting studs bolt etc. Also oldest son was owner operator semi business. Impact only used on stubborn bolts etc.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
EDIT!!!

I should have said the "Cheater Bar" when the Impact did not have enough UMP to loosen the lugnut!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Manual, but works on many things. VERY powerful

On Amazon:

Torque Multiplier Lug Nut Wrench - Cheater Wrench
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #54
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
IMO Mollydad and Action offer good solution for thoes that OCCASIONALLY need to work on lug nuts.

Others comments on quality of tools. If I expect to need something on the road hand tools are fine. Quality will last but I see nothing is gained if I buy a $500 tool and maybe use it once a year.

While I have a shop full of tools including HD Impact wrench 1/2 & 3/4 sockets and a large 150 psi compressor sometimes getting all the hoses etc out just isn't worth the effort.

Mollysdad suggestion of a 24" Breaker BAR , short extension and 6 point socket of the correct size is the best. I would however ALSO get your own Torque wrench. Use the breaker to loosen and torque wrench to tighten the nuts yourself.

Are you sure 140 Ft-Lb is the correct spec?

When I was racing my Camaro in road race endurance races (2, 6, 12 & 24 Hr)that required changing tires, I made sure all the studs and lug nut threads were clean. I also used a shot of WD-40 before the race. Lug nuts were torques to 75 Ft-lb and in 30 years of racinig I NEVER had a problem with lug nut loosening. The race car was "mission critical" so for almost all the tools I used on it I got name brand stuff.
Even there I made exceptions. I needed to remove the steering wheel one time and needed a special socket. HF was the supplier I chose. Still have the socket 20 years later and never used it a 2nd time.

Here is a web post on antiSeize on vehicles

But just one man's opinion.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #55
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Best of all solutions is ti stop the rot before it starts. Tell the workshop boss that they can use a rattle gun to get the nuts off but if they take a rattle gun within 6' of your truck when refitting the wheels, they can do the job over again. They all have torque wrenches tucked under the counter so it is a good incentive for them to find it AND use it.

Their other cute trick is to want to use the gun to speed the job up and they swear it is set so it won't ovrrtighten them. Then they finish off with the torque wrench. Make a big show of pulling it out and then they grimace mightily while straining hard and the wrench goes CLICK and they nod and smile and go on to the next one BUT if you take note, the nut never turns meaning theur "calibrated" rattle gun did them all up too tight.

While yiu are there, check the pressure they put in. If they are all within plus or minus 20psi of what you told them, you will be fortunate
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
1/2 inch impact wrench recommendations

I watch the lug busters like a hawk. Too many warped rotors in the past. The places I go not only use torque wrenches to final set torque, they run the nuts on by hand first. Then the manager personally rechecks torque by hand.

Costco, at least in CA does it that way without prompting. Ditto Sam’s Club. I don’t go anywhere else. If I’m on the road, I set torque personally using correct method and a known good torque wrench. Nobody touches my rig but me.

I’ve had tire shops try to sell me other stuff like shocks, etc assuming I was stupid. Last I checked, I’m not.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #57
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Sher View Post
I'd find a different garage to work on my vehicle. If they're ham-fisted morons that pay no attention to specs, or even the owner, what else are they doing that you don't even know about?
My thoughts too. I have seen and experienced this problem as well from poorly trained mechanics with bad attitudes who think more of anything is better. Stand over them, tell the boss about the problem. By the way, as you quickly get old, you’ll find those big truck tires are getting too heavy to lift anymore.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Bountiful , UT
I always carry a 24” and 30+” breaker bar. I also have the tire guys go around the truck and I have them put a torque wrench on a lug nut, of my choice, on each wheel and show me they were torqued properly. I find I no longer have over torqued lug nuts since they know this is going to happen every time we interact.
56ovalwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
1/2 inch impact wrench recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'm having trouble removing the lug nuts on my 1 ton pickup truck. Seems the tire and wheel guys over torque them. I keep saying only torque them at 140 lbs. max. but,, that seems to fall on deaf ears.

Since this happens often enough I'm thinking of buying a 1/2 inch impact wrench so I can remove the wheels and not have to go back to the tire guys to loosen them for me.

I'd like to consider electric, air or battery operated tools. There are so many out there that it's difficult to pick one that actually works well with no first hand knowledge of the tools. I don't want to continue using a breaker bar and a pipe. I'm getting old faster and faster everyday.

Please recommend an impact tool that could do the job and not cost too much. I have a cap of about $150 to spend.

Thanks!

Try this Dewalt DCF899P1R 20V MAX XR Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Brushless Detent Pin Impact Wrench with Battery (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IGVRR3C..._mKskCbFEJV79W

Torque 1200 lbs reverse 800 lbs tighten
A real monster
More then you wanted to spend but impact can do the job, over and over again.
You can use it on your P/u truck, your dump truck, trailer or just about any thing.
DSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
By the way, as you quickly get old, you’ll find those big truck tires are getting too heavy to lift anymore.
I hear THAT! Had to call AAA roadside service this Fall up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC for a flat on the tow vehicle. After waiting for an hour, a nice young man showed up in his personal pickup truck. His cheapo scissor jack wouldn't lift the vehicle enough, so he used mine, and he didn't have a torque wrench, so he used mine. But he also didn't have back surgery, hernia surgery, prostate surgery, and open heart surgery. So he beat me by a mile
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote

« Tpms | Top | New tires »