Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
'04 25' Safari- what size, and where to buy tires?

Hello all, our trailer and all its manuals are stored 200 miles away. I'm picking it up this weekend for the NorCal rally, and it's time for new tires before we head up. I helped a fellow on the side of the freeway yesterday with a shredded Marathon (our trailer has its original Marathons), so am going to get Michelins this time.

Without the trailer here, i don't know the size?

And, where do you buy trailer tires? Regular tire dealer like Big O, or America's Tire?

All advice welcome. We're near Walnut Creek CA.

Thanks,

Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I have a 2004 25 Safari. Original size was ST 225 75 R 15, load range D. ST tires are trailer service only and I blew out numerous Marathons and no names towing in hot weather and decided to upgrade.
I replaced mine with P 235 75 R 15 Michelin LTX XL. Even though they are P (passenger) tires, they are extra load and carry the same load as C rated LT tires (about 2200 lbs). My trailer is 6300 gvw and the tires have plenty of capacity for the load. Cost was about $150 per tire.
Inflation is 50 lbs and I noticed a smoother ride with the new tires. Before the switch I was running E rated ST tires inflated to 75 lbs and the ride was harsh.
It is nice to tow at 70 mph and not constantly be worried about tires.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I run Michelin LT tires. P23575R. These are light truck tires. 50 psi. Mine are the Michelin tires made for Sears. I got them on a 4 for the price of 3 deal.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote