Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2002, 05:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Wheel Hub Temperature

Hi All,
I just finished installing new brakes-backing plates-magnets-brake drums-and bearings. (Whew!!$$)

I took it for a spin down the freeway to seat things in and test the brakes out. When I returned I thought I would check the temp of the wheels by putting my hand on the wheel and studs. All the wheels seemed hot. I could keep my hand on the studs but they seemed hot. Is this too hot for them to be? I did not make the bearings tight. They were all the same temp.

Are they supposed to be cool or just warm after running on the freeway. We are going to Lake Tahoe next Tuesday and I want to make sure I'm safe.

Thanks, Brian
Old 07-23-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi Brian,
My wheels get quite warm after driving for a while. Consider that you are slowing down close to 5000lbs plus some of your tow vehicles weight by 4 drum brakes with relatively poor heat dissipation. I would check the brake adjustment as it is described in past threads, to be safe, especially after the shoes have seated a little by now. But if they are not tight and your bearings are not too tight,then I would say that the heat is normal. Oh, and check your air pressure. Tires and wheels get very hot when underinflated. As I said, my wheels and hubs get very warm after coming off a freeway run, and after driving around town a bit, and my bearings and brakes are adjusted just fine. Plus we're having 90 degree weather. I totally understand your concern with going to Tahoe, but if everything was done right, you should not have to worry.
Have a safe trip!
Uwe
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:34 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Hub temps

Make a check after you have been running for a few miles without using the brakes. I have a couple of rest areas that I usually pause at to feel tires and hubs where I can stop without doing much braking.

After having two bearing failures in my old Scamp, checking has become a habit. The first bearing failure was right after a new RV dealership repacked the bearings and torqued them too tight. The second failure was a result of the repair of the first failure. The person who did the repair didn't have the correct nut, so he hacksawed a thicker nut and did a very poor job. The slant of the hacksawed nut pushed the bearing crooked and it failed after a couple thousand miles. The second failure also totalled the axle. Since then, I repack my own.

The hubs should be warm to the touch, but not uncomfortably so unless you have been using the brakes.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 07:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Wheel hub temperature

You might try[ if you think the hubs are hot] jacking the trailer up and phisically turning the wheel by hand to see if the brakes are dragging with the trailer first connected then dis connected, at the same time shake the wheel to see if the bearings are tight. Bring a jug with you to cool the brakes if they must be serviced on the road.
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 07:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Wheel hub temperature

You might try[ if you think the hubs are hot] jacking the trailer up and phisically turning the wheel by hand to see if the brakes are dragging with the trailer first connected then dis connected, at the same time shake the wheel to see if the bearings are tight. Bring a jug with you to cool the brakes[don't cool to quicly or you might crack the drums] if they must be serviced on the road.
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote