Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Wheel bearing questions

Hi All.

Wow, what a great resource! I am about to purchase a 1976 Land Yacht nd will have tow it about 1000 miles home from So. Cal to Colorado. I am told the brakes are good and it has new tires, but they weren't sure the last time the bearings were packed. I looked through some of the threads but still have some questions.

questions:

How often should they be repacked/replaced?

How can I check if it has been done?

Is this something I can do myself or better to have someone else do it?

Will i need any special tools?

Can it be done by a garage or do I need to bring it to someone special?

I will most likely be travelling east to Phoenix, up to Flagstaff, across to Albequerque, Santa fe, and up thorough Colorado.

Thanks for your help!

Ivo

soon to be owner of 25' land yacht
drivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wheel bearing questions

Greetings Ivo!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivo
Hi All.

Wow, what a great resource! I am about to purchase a 1976 Land Yacht nd will have tow it about 1000 miles home from So. Cal to Colorado. I am told the brakes are good and it has new tires, but they weren't sure the last time the bearings were packed. I looked through some of the threads but still have some questions.

questions:

How often should they be repacked/replaced?

How can I check if it has been done?

Is this something I can do myself or better to have someone else do it?

Will i need any special tools?

Can it be done by a garage or do I need to bring it to someone special?

I will most likely be travelling east to Phoenix, up to Flagstaff, across to Albequerque, Santa fe, and up thorough Colorado.

Thanks for your help!

Ivo

soon to be owner of 25' land yacht
I can't comment on the bearing service from the do-it-yourself perspective, but it is a job that I trust to my Airstream dealer on an annual basis (or once every 10,000 miles if that is less than a year). Since I have a trusted Airstream dealer within in my geographic region, I usually have his service department handle this function for me. There isn't anything mysterious about the electric trailer brakes on an Airstream unless you have a coach with the optional Excella HydraVac Disc Brakes and then there will be some variations. Basically, any shop familiar with servicing trailers with Kelsey Hayes or Dexter electric trailer brakes should be able to handle the bearing inspection and re-packing - - some independent mechanics will also perform this service (it may take some asking around to find one who offers the service).

In the ten years that I have owned my Overlander, I have never had the bearings replaced (repacked annually, but not replaced). Each year its bearings are repacked with new seals and brake service; if and when my dealer suggests replacement, they will be replaced - - I suspect that it will need new axles at this point before the present bearings need replacement.

Given the distance that you will towing this coach, I would urge you to have the bearings serviced along with a brake inspection (just to verify that all is well with the entire system). This also affords an opportunity for a thorough inspection of the coach's tires for damage or unusual wear as well. The main thing to be cautious of if you happen to have a shop that lacks experience with Airstreams is to be sure that they don't try to jack up the coach under the axles - - there are a number of threads here on the Forums discussing proper jacking procedures for Airstreams.

You didn't ask, but I would also suggest that you might want to be prepared to rewire the trailer Bargman (umbilical) connector to match your tow vehicle. Airstream was using a method of its own to wire the connector in '76 that won't match today's standard - - this was a project that I had to deal with on both my '64 Overlander and '78 Minuet - - not difficult but takes about an hour or two to accomplish depending upon what you might find. I would suggest going prepared with a trailer end that matches the one on your tow vehicle with the idea that it is a job that will likely need to be done. The Bargman Connector wiring diagram used by Airstream can be found at:

1966-1981 Airstream Bargman Connector Wiring Schematic

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 07:11 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

The bearings should be repacked once per year or about every 10,000 to 12,000 miles. Bearings can be re-packed by a DIY person and is not a hard thing to do if you know how to do it. You can purchase a "bearing packer" at most autoparts stores or you can hand pack them. Most tire shops can re-pack the bearing for you but I would be leary with someone doing it that is not familiar with the airstreams proper jacking points. You could ask around for someone to show you how to remove the bearings and hub from a trailer and how to repack the bearings before you leave but be sure of the proper jack points for the airstream. If jacked up improperly, you can create a lot of damage.

Darrell
dbm04F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:08 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
drivo

if you plan to do it yourself, look at this page and click on "tech tips".

http://www.timken.com/products/bearings/

john
Old 09-26-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Let someone else do it the 1st time

If you have no experience with this, I would very strongly recommend having a reputable RV service center repack your bearings, and if no one knows when they were packed last, they need to be done. Another advantage to having an RV place do this is they can take a look and see if it needs anything else before towing it 1,000 miles. Most RV places will, for an additional fee, check all the workings of you trailer, and make as sure as possible everything is ship-shape. On Raton pass is not a place to be trying to figure out how to work on your new trailer.

Good luck with your new trailer, and have a safe trip home with it.
Terry
Old 09-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the advice. After some research, I decided to have the brakes checked and bearings repacked before towing. Now just looking for a dealer near there!

Ivo
Old 09-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the jacking tip! I'm going to have them done professionally this time due to the time factor. I will learn how to do it myself for next year.

Ivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm04F250
The bearings should be repacked once per year or about every 10,000 to 12,000 miles. Bearings can be re-packed by a DIY person and is not a hard thing to do if you know how to do it. You can purchase a "bearing packer" at most autoparts stores or you can hand pack them. Most tire shops can re-pack the bearing for you but I would be leary with someone doing it that is not familiar with the airstreams proper jacking points. You could ask around for someone to show you how to remove the bearings and hub from a trailer and how to repack the bearings before you leave but be sure of the proper jack points for the airstream. If jacked up improperly, you can create a lot of damage.

Darrell
Old 09-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the tip. any ideas on reputable dealers in the Murietta,CA area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
If you have no experience with this, I would very strongly recommend having a reputable RV service center repack your bearings, and if no one knows when they were packed last, they need to be done. Another advantage to having an RV place do this is they can take a look and see if it needs anything else before towing it 1,000 miles. Most RV places will, for an additional fee, check all the workings of you trailer, and make as sure as possible everything is ship-shape. On Raton pass is not a place to be trying to figure out how to work on your new trailer.

Good luck with your new trailer, and have a safe trip home with it.
Terry
Old 09-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Once you get home be sure to look us up!

The DenCO Unit of the WBCCI has a very active vintage group and we'd love to have you join us at a rally next year! As a mater of fact, the May Maintanence Rally is perfect for new owners...we always help new folks get to know their trailers and it's a great time to de-winterize and "fix" things after the spring thaw ~

BTW, it doesn't sound like your travel plans home are through the four-corners region, but the Region 11 Rally is in Cortez, CO October 1st - 8th and there is a DenCO Unit Rally at the Great Sand Dunes October 14th - 17th...either one might be a good stopping point (with a bit of a detour) to meet some "local" folks that could help you out ~ let me know if you want additional info on either.

Good luck & safe travels!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You may already know this BUT just in case the trailer brakes require an electric brake controller located in the cab of your tow vehicle.

If the dealer or shop you have the bearings work done is not an AS dealer then as others have said make sure you show them where to place the jack. They will tell you they do this all the time and know how to jack up a TT and then jack it up by the axles.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:44 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
If you need assistance in the Phoenix area other than the week of October 3 to October 10, help is a call away. 602 524-2401 cell

>>>>>>Action
Old 09-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivo
Thanks for the tip. any ideas on reputable dealers in the Murietta,CA area?
Inland RV is not too far from Murietta. About 25min on the 15 North, then another 10min on the 91 west.
Make sure to have an appointment, they're incredibly busy.
Their number is 909-734-8130
PM me if you need local assistance. I have family in Murietta.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the invite. WE won't be able to makke either in October, but would be interested in others. Can you send more info?

Ivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The DenCO Unit of the WBCCI has a very active vintage group and we'd love to have you join us at a rally next year! As a mater of fact, the May Maintanence Rally is perfect for new owners...we always help new folks get to know their trailers and it's a great time to de-winterize and "fix" things after the spring thaw ~

BTW, it doesn't sound like your travel plans home are through the four-corners region, but the Region 11 Rally is in Cortez, CO October 1st - 8th and there is a DenCO Unit Rally at the Great Sand Dunes October 14th - 17th...either one might be a good stopping point (with a bit of a detour) to meet some "local" folks that could help you out ~ let me know if you want additional info on either.

Good luck & safe travels!

Shari

...The World is your Mollusk....
Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I won't need assistance but could I get get your phone # in case?

Thanks again

Ivo & Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Inland RV is not too far from Murietta. About 25min on the 15 North, then another 10min on the 91 west.
Make sure to have an appointment, they're incredibly busy.
Their number is 909-734-8130
PM me if you need local assistance. I have family in Murietta.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:34 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Just bought a prodigy controller. Thanks

Ivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
You may already know this BUT just in case the trailer brakes require an electric brake controller located in the cab of your tow vehicle.

If the dealer or shop you have the bearings work done is not an AS dealer then as others have said make sure you show them where to place the jack. They will tell you they do this all the time and know how to jack up a TT and then jack it up by the axles.

Garry

Old 09-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks for the invite. WE won't be able to makke either in October, but would be interested in others. Can you send more info?

Ivo
Check out the DenCO Unit's website under 'Upcoming Events'...it's kept up to date with all the scheduled activities ~

Look forward to meeting you

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote