Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Maryland
Wheel Bearing Gaskets

I am looking to repack my wheel bearings before my maiden voyage, but I do not know what type or where to get new wheel bearing gaskets for my 68 globetrotter. If anyone has an idea please chime in. Sometime they are refered to as axel gaskets.

Sincerely,
Didgiman
Didgiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
Rivet wheel bearing gaskets

hello,

when i redid the rear axle on my 68 toronado ,which is a front wheel drive, there where no gaskets available what so ever. i ended up going to napa and bought a bulk roll of felt gasket material. i used the best old gsket and traced it out on the new felt w/ a sharpie. cut w/ xacto or box cutter. i used a punch awl for the bolt holes. you'll have plenty of gasket material for the next one.

good luck'

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
You are looking for the circular metal/rubber-lipped grease seals, not really a gasket. The size needed seems to vary, so your best bet is to take one hub apart, remove the grease seal, and then visit a NAPA or RV store to find the proper replacements.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
You might also check your local bearing supplier. They should have them.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Speaking of bearings and seals!

Do they make a bearing buddy for Airstream trailers or make the size bearing buddie for our trailers?
Would it be a good idea to install them on a airstream trailer?
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
NO - do not use Bearing Buddies. Search this site for details.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Never use bearing burners (buddies) on an Airstream or any other travel trailer. As for seals, look at:http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com

Dexter 12" drums use a 2.25" seal. The best seal (double lip, spring loaded) #10-36 costs $1.69 from Low Cost Trailer Supplies. Get a dozen.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
NAPA part number for seal

Anyone know what part number to ask for at a NAPA store for 12" Dexter brakes? They don't know.
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:57 PM   #9
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi walter1--Take the old seal to a bearing distributor (look up the closest one in the classified directory). They will measure it, and have a replacement in stock.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1
Anyone know what part number to ask for at a NAPA store for 12" Dexter brakes? They don't know.
Both Napa and Carquest had seals for our coach with 12" brakes. Carquest was half the price of Napa, and Dexter will sell them to you direct for even less, if you have a few days to wait on them.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:52 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

bearing seals

What is the best way to remove bearing seals from the hub? Also can replacement seals and bearings for a Airstream be found at a good auto parts or rv store? thanks
wfleisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
seals!

after picking up my camper, they're definetly seals. i paid $20 a seal for new ones. i thought that was way to much. they are heavier duty than originals but $20?! due to the fact i went to 6 parts stores in the area and i needed them and the only ones i bought them repacked and sealed. should have planned ahead and bought them in advance. i ASSUMED they would be no big deal, its just a seal!

ccrowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Just a note on the bearing buddies ,they are for marine use only .The design is to use internal pressure ,about 3 psi to keep the water from sucking in the
wheel hub as the boat trailer is submerged in the water .The immediate cooling of the hub causes a vacuum that draws the water into the hub cavity
and the buddies inside pressure counteracts it .I have many times in my line
of work serviced boat trailer bearings ,the bearing buddies do there job .Not a fool proof solution but they do work .Now if you pump grease into them ,not knowing the correct way to do that ,due to the fact that the little metal plate inside the outer portion that is visible behind the spring will move outward about a 1/4 " or so when greasing ,they will stop moving and you stop greasing ,continuing to grease pushes the grease past the seal and into the drum ,and the brakes .They do not burn up bearings ,and I have never seen that and I work with them all the time ,If water has made its way into the bearing hub then yes the grease will not be able to stop damage from happening and the bearings will not have the proper lubrication ,so then they burn up and badly.you cannot blame a device that is not designed for
grease it then forget it. I have seen bearing damage from not having the buddies loaded and checked often ,and water has penetrated and left unchecked .Salt water is cancer to metal ,the worst kind and fast.So understanding the design and knowing how they work is the key to using bearing buddies .Not needed on regular trailers ,cargo ,airstream or sob .
Don't go cheap on the seals as they serve a vital function ,always if possible use double lip spring loaded type ,20 bucks each is too much period,wow!

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
$20 is way too much

CROWBAR68 - I hate to say it but that is an expensive set of seals, I paid $3.95 each for National seals to fit my Caravel.

LEAKY29. Removing seals is not that difficult if you are replacing them and not trying to save them (I would recommend replacing after removal but when you're on the side of the road and doing a repair this may not be the case if you have no spare!!!). There is a seal removal tool available at a good parts store and Sears, handy and cheep (about $10), or a long handled screw driver and just pry it out. Not much effort is required. In an emergency, you can remove the castle nut and outer bearing, then replace the castle nut (with washer if so equiped) then yank the drum real hard until you pop the inner bearing and seal out and it remains on the spindle. I have used this method on the side of the road with the full knowledge that I would have to replace both bearings and the seal as they were destroyed from lack of grease.

I highly recommend you do the bearing maintenance at home in the comfort of your own driveway (with beer and shade available). Roadside repairs are no fun and you have to redo them at home anyway to be sure you did the job right. Bearins and seals for one spindle should run about $20 and you may want to keep a set on hand - JUST IN CASE.....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgiman
...but I do not know what type or where to get new wheel bearing gaskets for my 68 globetrotter. If anyone has an idea please chime in. Sometime they are refered to as axel gaskets. Sincerely, Didgiman
Axle gaskets would be for an axle that has a shaft running through to the hub. The gasket would seal the end of the axle to the bearing race area. The other area would be an application of the braking backing plate having a gasket in the area where it meets the spindle.

Airstream and other travel trailers do not have drive axles and there is not a need to dissassemble the brake backing plate when repacking the wheel bearings. Hope this helps.

You will only need the grease seals that are correct for your wheel bearings. One for each wheel.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action