Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Due to the fact the EPA shut down our local auto salvage yard,, demand for axles is high in RR America.. I sold my old axles for $100 each.. The day after a fellow showed up with $500.... and was mad I had sold them already..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Speaking of re-purposing...

Some of you might like the deck I just finished adding to the back of my house.
The chains were the final drive chains on an old dragline I used to have.
They've been laying around for years because they were just too cool to scrap. I finally found a use for them.
It may sound like I was a little hard on you Whitefawn but I did write that with a twinkle in my eye and some mirth in my heart...
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #23
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Old Axles

Hey Ultradog- I took no offense from your post. First, I am NOT one of the women you described-one for chachkies- I HATE to dust and I keep the crap- I mean treasures, to a minimum in our smallish house. Secondly, when Joe read this thread, your post was the one he felt "defended" his honor. Thanks! I guess he needed that!

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
They've been laying around for years because they were just too cool to scrap. I finally found a use for them.
One thing is for sure, that deck and hand railing won't be going anywhere for a long time.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
It may sound like I was a little hard on you Whitefawn but I did write that with a twinkle in my eye and some mirth in my heart...
Kewl - industrial chic - however the Zoning Nazi's will probably come around and make you put rails no more than 4 inches apart from the deck to the handrail - so a baby couldn't fall off the porch. (I had an old house - and the old rails were 5 1/2 inches apart and 2 inches too low. Found that out after I'd stripped and sanded and repainted 45 linear feet of elaborate "greek vase" type spindles.) Expletive deleted.

I ended up Raising the railings 2.5 inches on the columns, then putting another 2x4 under them, and hanging nylon fishing nets behind the rails so the baby I didn't have wouldn't get it's head stuck between the wretched spindles! I hate Zoning Nazis!

When they show up and cite you, may I suggest you fill the area down from the rails with sailcloth (or Sunbrella fabric) grommeted in and laced through the chain and base of the porch. Cheaper than a welding project.

Paula
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I have an an in-law with a buddy in southern Louisiana. This guy outfits "hunting vehicle" pick-up trucks with seats on pedestals in the beds so that the "hunters" can ride around and swivel as needed. He uses axles cut in half as the pedestal, with the seat mounted on the hub. He said he could use mine, so I was happy to let him have it (and I was tired of tripping over it).

It had to make the trip from Houston to Houma, and the guy asked me if I could cut it in half to make it easier to transport. So finally I got to use that metal cutting bandsaw that I bought on something of a whim, for its intended purpose. Its always nice to have the right tool for the job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cutting axle.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	166363  
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
I am thinking of using my take off axles as a smaller car hauler. I have enough 4" heavy wall channel for the side and end pieces of the frame.

I already have the ramps (new) as I have picked them up on the interstates that were ejected off commercial car haulers.

All I will need is a extra set of rims as I sold the original AS rims a year ago. I think I can get new rims for about 225.00 delivered and and use take off tires from the 2500HD which will last for years.

Then get a hitch for a 2 5/16" ball and be good to go.

Worst case cut maybe two feet out of the middle of axle and reweld making a couple small utility trailers for riding mowers, 4 wheelers etc.

I was at a flea market last year and this guy had a 20 ft. camper trailer frame with dual axles, electric brakes, jack etc. He wanted 250.00 for it and I gave it a home. All it needed was wiring and lights and some more cross members and decking and now I can haul large things like roof trusses, 24 ft. pieces of roofing material, lumber etc. Nothing real heaby but there are times when you need to haul long things you just can't puton a pickup truck. The tires have some cracks but tread is almost new. I will use them till they drop and replace one at a time as I have a spare for it.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Just had another use for the axles only problem is you would need about three sets. If you cut them off flush with the outside of the mounting brackets you could use them as cross members if you wanted to build a heavy duty trailer. Four could be used from cross members and two of the axles to carry the trailer. All you would need is 6" channel steel for the side plates.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote