Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #21
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Stan,

There is a larger 15" wheel, with 6 lugs on 5.5"BC, but I don't believe that those wheels would have been on the trailer originally; those wheels are for much heavier (4000# and up) axles.
I wondered too, if the Caravel didn't have the six lug wheels, and the new axle had five lug drums. It's entirely possible... If that's the case, with your new five-lug drums, you ought to be able to use five lug 15" wheels too, if you wanted to change over. This is another discussion that goes on regularly on the fiberglass trailer forums regarding 13" and 14" wheels and tires, and which is better. If the smaller tire won't carry the weight rating you need for the trailer is the only time I can see it as an issue.

Frankly, for the purposes of this discussion, 14" tires are less expensive than 15" tires and generally the sidewalls will rot out long before you wear the tires out. If your new tires and wheels are rated for the GVWR of the trailer, for the few trips a year and the few miles we drive on those trips, the wear issues are non-existant. Unless there are clearance (either in the wheel-well or chassis-to-ground), or GVWR or tire weight rating problems, I just don't see much value in changing from one size to the other in either direction.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Not to has this over - but we found that putting the 15" wheels from both the 61 Overlander with spring suspension and the Globe Trotter that had the OEM Henschen - the wheels did not fit the "Hub" of the Excella - The Excella had the 3500# Dexter Axles.

Thus our conclusion was the hencshen and Axis where a better fit to our needs - and then it was a matter of $'s - and in our case having the two trailers getting worked on it was much more economical for us to go with Axis.

They showed us the whole process and explained the differences in both products - we were more than convinced that we had made the right decision. (in our opinion!)

Regardless folks we will all do what we feel is right to us and what we like, can afford and fit into our schedules. But the most important issue is that we can all get our dream Airstreams closer to that day of travel and excitement is more important than anything.

Good luck and happy travels on your new feet

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:51 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
Andy at Inland RV was kind enough to contact me and confirm that dealer had obtained the axle from him, and that it was in fact what I ordered. I can't imagine that the dealer would put new tire/wheels on for free if there was anyway to make the old wheels work. It is possible that the old tires somehow interfered with the new axle, but that is just a guess. The lug pattern and number (5) on new and old. Regardless, the new axle is appropriate for the trailer. As for the tires: the old tires were ST 205/75 D15, Load Range C, with a max weight capacity of 1820 lbs each. The new tires are ST 205/75 D14 Load Range C with a max capacity of 1760 lbs each. Since the Axle is rated for 3000 lbs, and the Caravel is supposedly 2250 lbs dry, then to my novice mind it seems like the new 14 inch wheels are OK, maybe not the best, but OK. I think that if I decide to do any cross-country trips then I would go back to 15 inch wheels. Bottom line is that I am happy with the new axle. And I do appreciate you all offering your opinions and advise. Thanks.
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Stan,

Sure is puzzling. I looked up the specs on the tires your cited, and was suprised to find that the 15" tires are slightly skinnier than the 14" tires. So if the wheels were the same width, there should not be a problem.

Your old wheels didn't happen to have Baby Moon hubcaps, did they?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
No...it had rather flat hubcaps from a ford falcon, I don't know what year.
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Z
No...it had rather flat hubcaps from a ford falcon, I don't know what year.
???? My '62 Falcon had 13" wheels. How they get to 15" is a mystery.

I think someone is playing games with you, but if you're happy, that's all that counts.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Z
Andy at Inland RV was kind enough to contact me and confirm that dealer had obtained the axle from him, and that it was in fact what I ordered. I can't imagine that the dealer would put new tire/wheels on for free if there was anyway to make the old wheels work. It is possible that the old tires somehow interfered with the new axle, but that is just a guess. The lug pattern and number (5) on new and old. Regardless, the new axle is appropriate for the trailer. As for the tires: the old tires were ST 205/75 D15, Load Range C, with a max weight capacity of 1820 lbs each. The new tires are ST 205/75 D14 Load Range C with a max capacity of 1760 lbs each. Since the Axle is rated for 3000 lbs, and the Caravel is supposedly 2250 lbs dry, then to my novice mind it seems like the new 14 inch wheels are OK, maybe not the best, but OK. I think that if I decide to do any cross-country trips then I would go back to 15 inch wheels. Bottom line is that I am happy with the new axle. And I do appreciate you all offering your opinions and advise. Thanks.
Hi Stan, I had the same exact problem with my 15 inch wheels. Yes, they fit the axles fine but, when fitted with radial tires, the tire was only an inch or so from the front outrigger. Too close for comfort for me. I went with 14 inch rims and it has worked fine for 7k miles. I still have the original 15 inch rims should I ever want to change back.

BTW, I went across the country on my 14 inch rims with no problems. The Henschen worked great. I still believe that I made the right choice in going with OEM from Andy. Super easy swap out. Took three hours total that includes a frosty beverage break in the middle.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi Stan, I had the same exact problem with my 15 inch wheels. Yes, they fit the axles fine but, when fitted with radial tires, the tire was only an inch or so from the front outrigger. Too close for comfort for me. I went with 14 inch rims and it has worked fine for 7k miles. I still have the original 15 inch rims should I ever want to change back.

BTW, I went across the country on my 14 inch rims with no problems. The Henschen worked great. I still believe that I made the right choice in going with OEM from Andy. Super easy swap out. Took three hours total that includes a frosty beverage break in the middle.
Original equipment replacemenets, usually receive much Karma.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel