Old 12-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Lakeland , Florida
UK requirements for axles

I may be selling my 1970 Overlander to someone in the UK. I have just installed brand new dexter axles and brakes I ordered from Colin Hyde. The potential buyer said they will have to replace those according to the UK requirements. Does anyone know what they are referring to?
CraigCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
UK trailer brakes

They do not use electric brakes. They use "Surge Brakes". This is also the reason they do not use WD hitches. They will not work on a trailer equipped with "Surge Brakes". Some boat trailers in this country use "Surge Brakes". I had a boat trailer with them when I had a 23' Century boat. He is going to have to modify the tongue of the trailer with the proper equipment to support "Surge Brakes". Expensive.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
There are many differences for UK folks. I am sure some of our UK friends will help out here.
I think it may be the parking brake issue as electric brakes are legal and allowed.

Operating brakes
It is common on American caravans and trailers with electric brakes to have an electrical device mounted in the towing vehicle which the driver operates manually to apply the brakes of the trailer independent to the brakes on the tow vehicle. This is prohibited in Europe where the regulations demand that the service braking system must be applied without the driver removing his hands from the steering control.

Supply of electricity for electrical braking systems
The electrical energy required for the electrical braking system must be supplied to the trailer by the towing vehicle. If there is a battery on the trailer which is fed by the power supply unit of the towing vehicle, the power from the battery must be disconnected during application of the service braking system.

"American caravans and trailers do not always have a parking brake. European requirements demand that a caravan and trailer must be fitted with a parking brake that is capable of holding the vehicle stationary on an 18% up or down gradient. Also, the working parts must be held in the locked position by a purely mechanical device."

Ball size 50mm not 2' etc...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-couplings

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:07 AM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The idea that electric brakes cannot be used in EU is false. They are fine as long as the controller is mounted on the trailer as well.

However this is only one of many requirements (tow ball, electrics, lights etc) that have to apply as well as weight/towing restrictions..

If you want to know more there is a very active Europe unit of WBCCI as well as some very long running Airstream Facebook groups over here.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:45 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Hayfield , Derbyshire
Hi CraigCam,
I live in the UK and run US axles on my 66 Tradewind. I maybe adding to your question here but will axles from a 1970 Overlander fit a 66 Tradewind? Not sure what width and mounting type a 1970 Overlander has. My axels are looking a sad these days and I would happily buy the axles off your buyer once the trailer enters the UK. This would cover some of your buyers cost for replacing the axles with UK spec. I know a lot of people over here don't like running US axles because the towing requirements are hard to meet due to the tow ball hitch size and type approval. Most people find it easier to replace the tow hitch and axles to easily satisfy the regs.
UKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKAS View Post
Hi CraigCam,
I live in the UK and run US axles on my 66 Tradewind. I maybe adding to your question here but will axles from a 1970 Overlander fit a 66 Tradewind? Not sure what width and mounting type a 1970 Overlander has. My axels are looking a sad these days and I would happily buy the axles off your buyer once the trailer enters the UK. This would cover some of your buyers cost for replacing the axles with UK spec. I know a lot of people over here don't like running US axles because the towing requirements are hard to meet due to the tow ball hitch size and type approval. Most people find it easier to replace the tow hitch and axles to easily satisfy the regs.
1966 and 1970 will not interchange, because 1966 is a narrower trailer.