Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2002, 09:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Trailer Listing To "Street Side"

I had to temporarily situate my 79 Soverign (31') along the side of our road in order for heavy machinery to get through. The side of the road was fairly rutted and uneven. I did not use the stabliizer bars while the trailer was situated this way. I went inside the trailer and worked. Noticed that the trailer was listing to the entry side (street side?). Towed the trailer up onto the gravel of the driveway, went down to the cul de sac and turned around. Backed the trailer onto to concrete driveway pad. Trailer still listing street side. Checked the tire pressure - low in 3 tires. Fixed that, still listing street side. Put the stabliizer bars down. Still listing street side. What might be causing this and how can I get this corrected/fixed. I have no idea how many miles the trailer has been towed. I am the 3rd owner - it has always been in Montana. Thanks, AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
AJ. Go to our web site, inlandrv.com Click on articles, and then click on "Dura-torque axles."
That article describes a check out for your axles. You may have a bad axle or two.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Question

Andy:

If I do have a bad axle or 2 is this something that could be fixed locally by the RV dealer (parts sent) or would it be necessary to take it to an AS Dealer/Service Center (closest to MT would be ID). Thanks, AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 02:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Looks like there are only 2 bolts holding the axles on each side. Should be fairly easy, just make sure it is lined up right by measuring back from the ball hitch. I just called Henschen, and they told me around $430 plus shipping for each axel.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 12:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by montanaandy
Andy:

If I do have a bad axle or 2 is this something that could be fixed locally by the RV dealer (parts sent) or would it be necessary to take it to an AS Dealer/Service Center (closest to MT would be ID). Thanks, AJ
I ordered new axles for my 72 29 footer cost about 1150 bucks delivered to my door for 3200 pound axels, hubs, brakes and shocks. I probably should have gone to a heavier rating but by the time I figured that out it was too late. Besides the 3200 pound axles maxed the budget.
I installed them in less than a day with the aid of my 16 year old.
This gave me about 2 inches more ground clearance than the collapsed suspension. Have not had it on the road yet so I don't know how it will pull. Not much way to mis-install them so far as I can see. I will most likely have the alignment checked anyway but it would be hard to change short of bending the tubes.
Took about 3 weeks for the axles to arrive.
Contact Jim Kitzmiller 937-596-6125 x102. Tell him what year/model/length your trailer is and the axle rating and brake size.

New wheels and tires are the next money pit.

Dan
Dan Phariss is offline   Reply With Quote