Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Torsion axles

Whoever is the largest torsion axle manufacturer in the world, is of little value other than a tid bit. That question will never be on "You want to be a millionaire."

"Who" is the largest manufacturer of torsion axles in the USA, is an important factor.

Obviously, Dexter is the largest, with Henschen being second.

Hayes doesn't even make the chart any more than Southwest Wheel.

Granted, more for political reasons than any other, Airstream switched to Dexter, for the time being.

Don't make book that it will stay that way.

There has been friction between the two, and especially about Dexters disc brakes systems.

Whose torsion axle is on an Airstream , is important. Torsion axles, that are seemingly the same, can an do offer a very different ride for the trailer.

Airstream and Argosy trailers "love" a soft ride. The semi-monocoque principal of construction, admires a soft ride.

There is, as an example, a large difference in the durometer (hardness) tests of the rubber rods.

The harder the rods, the harder the ride. Henschen uses a soft rod.

There is also a difference in the compression rate of the rods. Henschen uses a low compression rate, which provides a softer ride.

Then there is the "set" tests. Henschen rods have a smaller set percentage than some others, which is a more durable material, that again, costs more.

Henschen uses molded rubber rods, instead of extruded rods. The molded rods cost more, but again provide a softer ride.

Henschen uses "induction case hardened" steel shafts, that cost far more than ordinary stock steel shafts, that some others use.

Some torsion axle manufacturers do not completely weld all the parts together, but choose to scatter weld, which obviously costs far less, but also usually indictes an inferior product.

Therefore, it is very obvious, when comparing specifications, that "all" torsion axles are not equal by any stretch of the imagination.

Unfortunately, the specifications are not readily available for the retail consumer.

I have been dealing with Henschen axles for 41 years.

I would not, by any means, call myself a "king" of Henschen axles.

But, I would call myself, a concerned knowledgeable supplier of Henschen torsion axles for the Airstream and Argosy trailer owners.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting read Andy. Do the Henschen axles have permalube or are those the other brands. At some point, I may be interested in upgrading to the larger capacity axles that Airstream now puts on my exact trailer and the permalube hub thing (or whatever it's called) caught my eye.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Knowledge is King

When any large purchase is made the old adage comes to mind, "you usually get what you pay for." When I have to replace the axles, I will use the Henschen axles. Too bad, their original lifetime warranty didn't last the lifetime of the AS trailers.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I would call you a "king" of Henschen axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
... Unfortunately, the specifications are not readily available for the retail consumer. ...
But you would be a wholesale customer, would you not? Henschen's the factory, you are next, and I was last.

Please feel free to toss out more dry, technical details. I've bought my axles (from you), and am happy with them. Hopefully I'm set for another 30 years.

But I would not mind knowing more detail about what's giving my Overlander such a cush ride.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Interesting read Andy. Do the Henschen axles have permalube or are those the other brands. At some point, I may be interested in upgrading to the larger capacity axles that Airstream now puts on my exact trailer and the permalube hub thing (or whatever it's called) caught my eye.
Henschen will use permalube on axles more than 8000 pounds rating, which is into commercial products.

They feel very strongly that permanently lube bearings or bearings that can be lubed without seeing the quantity of grease applied, creates a potential huge problem for the trailer owner, since more often than not, that owner would assume the brakes would also not need attention.

Not a healthy thing to assumme, EVER.

Andy
Old 07-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
But you would be a wholesale customer, would you not? Henschen's the factory, you are next, and I was last.

Please feel free to toss out more dry, technical details. I've bought my axles (from you), and am happy with them. Hopefully I'm set for another 30 years.

But I would not mind knowing more detail about what's giving my Overlander such a cush ride.

Tom
Thank you for your write up.

It's precise and to the point.

Yeah, I mess up once in a while, but that's a previlege awarded to senior citizens.

The only person that "NEVER" makes a mistake, is the person that never does anything.

But, if they never do anything, they create a horrible mental problem for themselves. How do they do that, you ask?????

They never know when their finished.

Bottom line, is that you, your family and your Airstream are now happy.

I trust your wife no longer has the pick it up and put it all back chores, now that you have new axles on your Airstream.

I have an idea to discuss with Henschen .

Why not have a looooong term warranty, like 5 or 10 years, on each axle.

Would that make more owners happy?

Andy
Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Granted, more for political reasons than any other, Airstream switched to Dexter, for the time being.

Andy
For what it is worth - "the time being" is pushing 3+ years!

Additionally, Al-Ko Kober is the second largest producer of torsion axles in the U.S.A. far ahead of Henschen.

Cheers,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
For what it is worth - "the time being" is pushing 3+ years!

Cheers,
Henry

Corporations are known to sometimes move very slowly, especially when they are located where they have had bad winters and way too hot summers.

The transition by Airstream to Dexter has indeed, generated some gossip, that only a select few have chosen to exploit for reasons known only to themselves.

Andy