Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2023, 08:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The amount of ignorance posted by those who have no experience…only “theories” …about such things ag C.G., and “aerodynamics” …(usually by people who know nothing about aerodynamics)… is prolific. Let me be plain: B.S.!
Lifting your Airstream will have Negligible, Measureable, Detectible Difference in handling, balance, aerodynamics …or any other towing-experience…except it WILL have greater ground-clearance and a minor hitch-height change….but it will Also Have MUCH Better usefulness and Less damage from roadway hazards than the silly “Low-Rider” design Airstream suffers from due to its’ early pre-1950’s mindset. Period!
All you folks who warn of disintegration and doom that have ZERO experience in towing a Lifted Airstream should go Try It before you spout-off about something with which you have no knowledge.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:14 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Disagreement is OK.
And lifting a trailer raises the center of gravity.
While that proceedure may not be an issue on any given trailer.
The shorter (distance between axle and hitch) and lighter trailers present a higher risk scenario with a higher center of gravity.
Individual experiences may or may not be an issue.

However a significant design of an Air Stream trailer is based on areo dynamics and how the trailer moves. Raising the trailer exposes more of the front of the trailer to the air when at speed.

That is not an issue for off road, slower speeds or heavier trailers where the the distance between the hitch and axle turning point is much longer.* Clearly there are trailers that have been lifted and owners have not had any issue at all.

The statement made (a number of posts) above was made as to ZERO downside. Zero is a finite and absolute number. There can be a downside to handling in some situations on some trailers. The down side for many may be little or not much. And that is not the same as zero. For the owner considering a lift, know there may be some downside (knowledge) is ALWAYS a good thing.

*Where the trailer is correctly connected to the TV.

Action
Fair.

I agree, that the CoG has to move up when lifted. But as CoG at the beginning point before the lift is so low, that the CoG post-lift, while yes, higher, is mostly negligible. Not zero, true, but... under standard careful use, there should be no noticeable negative impact to towing behavior, but a positive impact from gained clearance.

With all that said....

If you're currently not having problems, you have a level driveway/ parking spot, are mostly running down to a localish campground and haven't seen a need or desire to lift, then sure, there's no real advantage to do so. Hypothetically, you might be a step ahead if you decide to head for the mountains, but if you don't normally deal with such, there's no reason to consider a lift.

I would almost say, you probably don't need a lift, unless, you know you need a lift, in which case, you need a lift.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:19 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Fair.

I agree, that the CoG has to move up when lifted. But as CoG at the beginning point before the lift is so low, that the CoG post-lift, while yes, higher, is mostly negligible. Not zero, true, but... under standard careful use, there should be no noticeable negative impact to towing behavior, but a positive impact from gained clearance.

With all that said....

If you're currently not having problems, you have a level driveway/ parking spot, are mostly running down to a localish campground and haven't seen a need or desire to lift, then sure, there's no real advantage to do so. Hypothetically, you might be a step ahead if you decide to head for the mountains, but if you don't normally deal with such, there's no reason to consider a lift.

I would almost say, you probably don't need a lift, unless, you know you need a lift, in which case, you need a lift.
Correct. I hesitated way too many years, even though I knew I probably needed it. I waited until cumulative rear end damage resulted in broken pieces in the rear and caused me a lot of work and $500 in welding and materials to repair. I am only hoping that the visible damage is all there is and I won't have any repeat shell issues.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:36 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
As someone who tows with a car and values aerodynamics and handling (which was a big part of choosing to buy an Airstream), I’m happy not to have a lifted trailer.

I can understand that most people don’t notice a difference in towing. But most of those are towing with a tall and heavy truck which would make it much harder to tell what the trailer is doing.

I’m not saying they’re unsafe, but there is compromise involved with either choice.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:38 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Thinking more on the lift.

Airstream should just offer two different axle angles on the Dexters. It wouldn’t cost them a thing more in time, labor, or parts. Sure it would make their parts inventory and ordering a little more complicated.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:29 PM   #46
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Having the Lift Kit installed by Tampa Airstream as I am writing this. I was on the very lowest adjustment on the ProPride hitch. I have adjusted the shank up two holes so now I am in the middle of the adjustment range. I like that the WD bars, the drain values and sewer hookups will be higher off the ground.
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:42 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Axels have a weight rating, like tires etc. Airstreams models are of various weights, so more than two axel specification ratings are needed.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Axels have a weight rating, like tires etc. Airstreams models are of various weights, so more than two axel specification ratings are needed.
I don't think that is what he means. He advocates for options for different down angles as an option for a given rating.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-15-2023, 07:48 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post
Having the Lift Kit installed by Tampa Airstream as I am writing this. I was on the very lowest adjustment on the ProPride hitch. I have adjusted the shank up two holes so now I am in the middle of the adjustment range. I like that the WD bars, the drain values and sewer hookups will be higher off the ground.
...or they could offer the 3" axle plate as an option with the same 22* down angle.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 05-15-2023, 07:58 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
aldinga beach , south australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Slater View Post
I am contemplating lifting my 2023 Classic RBT, and changing the wheels/tires to 16's. What are the pros and cons and general considerations of such? Which lift kit do I use on a 2023 classic? Should I leave it original? Please advise, thank you!
i was wondering the same thing with my 23FB when i got it ...part of my reason was it came with hard to find 14" wheels so had to go to a more common wheel size..in order to have generous clearance i needed a standard 3" lift ... and the major part of the 3" lift was, here in Australia we have from what ive been lead to believe.. much harsher access points and campsites and roads that would at times resemble stone quarries.

so the lift we finally did this week.. actually is of pure functionallity.

no noticable difference while traveling...but a lot more practical going through washouts and dips and ruts...those little winterise taps on bottom a supper close to the ground..now they are much higher

if your reasoning at any stage is from a practical standpoint ..then i can highly recommend it..

looking at a wayside stop off a dirst road and through a wash out...to get to a riverside boondock area is well worth doing the lift

if you are a tarmac only traveller then there may not be any reason to do it

hope this info help as well as all previous helpful posts

regards
baggs
baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:23 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I drove about 400 miles last weekend with the AS after the lift. Alignment appears correct. I noted no difference in handling nor mileage. I'm sure there is some difference, but not measurable, at least not in the short run.
Pros outweigh the cons, IMO.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:58 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
As someone who tows with a car and values aerodynamics and handling (which was a big part of choosing to buy an Airstream), I’m happy not to have a lifted trailer.

I can understand that most people don’t notice a difference in towing. But most of those are towing with a tall and heavy truck which would make it much harder to tell what the trailer is doing.

I’m not saying they’re unsafe, but there is compromise involved with either choice.
It does depend on what you want to do and where you want to go. With a 3" lift I can get in and out of this place without dragging the tail anymore. I also notice no difference on the highway but yes, it is a truck. I will also point out there were no cars towing trailers to be seen in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4169.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	431864  
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:22 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
it does depend on what you want to do and where you want to go. With a 3" lift i can get in and out of this place without dragging the tail anymore. I also notice no difference on the highway but yes, it is a truck. I will also point out there were no cars towing trailers to be seen in this area.
verrrry niiiiice
Old 05-16-2023, 06:27 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

further more we have gone to a 16" also ...so we stand to gain 4.5" once finished next week..and yes ..i intend to take my 23FB into the Aussie outback ...being careful of course [emoji869]

our choice of tyres is BF Goodrich KO2 225/75/16 for obvious reasons...massive load index off the chart and also 10ply with an AllTerrain pattern to cope with outback roads

so long as i slow right doen for the corrugations anx roll along gently then pick up speed on the smooth sections like ive always done ...then i really dont see a problem
Old 05-16-2023, 06:48 AM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailride View Post
Your Classic should have 16” wheels. The factory informed me they recommend a lift on anything over 28’.
Really...if it's 'recommended' why not do it at the factory when born?

We've never seen the NEED.

Low & Slo

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1E528A83-04CC-44D4-9D76-D7293A60ABFD_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	431875  
Old 05-16-2023, 07:34 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Really...if it's 'recommended' why not do it at the factory when born?

We've never seen the NEED.

Low & Slo

Bob
🇺🇸
Bob,

So you guys haven't "lifted"? That's certainly a datapoint for not lifting, as I know you guys have logged many miles.

Do you stay pretty much to paved or smooth gravel roads/pads, or do you travel on roads such as Forest Service, BLM, etc. that can have humps and large potholes?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:06 PM   #57
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post
Here is the before and after. The ProPride Hitch seems to be better aligned with the chains higher off the ground. Towing experience is positive; the rig remains stable. Do not recognize any difference in towing after several hundred miles at 70 mph on I95.

Name:	Yukon with AS Lift Kit Compare.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	432827
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:27 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

love my lift so far
4.5" total from 215/75/14 to 225/75/16 including 3" lift
before and after!

getting in and out of sites offgrid is now a serious option...far to low before

the winterise twin taps underneath are very close to ground if offroading

if staying onroad then it does not matter Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_094905.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	432887Click image for larger version

Name:	20230520_121135.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	432888Click image for larger version

Name:	20230520_162738.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	432889
Attachment 432891
Old 06-06-2023, 06:42 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Did a 3" lift on our 23' Flying Cloud & it's great. I had dragged the rear more than a few times. Put the lift kit on and have over 5K miles on it & it tows exactly like it did prior to lift.
2link2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:10 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
In theory, the lift raises the center of gravity of the Airstream and thus theoretically reduces stability.

In practice, our 2022 globetrotter 27fb twin trailer behaves exactly the same before and after the 3" lift. We can't tell any difference so the change in stability must be small, perhaps neglible.

The Airstream remains stable under all conditions, even when we experienced 50mph cross winds gusting to 70mph on day 2 of our trip through NE NM in March 2023. See screenshot of the NWS wind warning below.

On day 3 of the trip, winds were 60mph gusting to 90mph, but I didn't screen shot that particular forecast. The lifted Airstream + Porsche Cayenne handled those conditions without concern.

The lift was important for us as we boondock every other week while camping.

Name:	IMG_20230402_215626_350.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	432896
foobar is online now   Reply With Quote