Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek
Lou,

Those are some confidence inspiring photos. It looks like they do good work, and more importantly, they keep you informed about their progress. That is good business.

You make a good point about the order of a renovation. I remember my first trailer. I was in such a hurry to polish it that I neglected everything else....hell, I didn't even know anything about what might be wrong with it, I just wanted it shiny.

Blissful ignorance!

Live & learn, right?

I will be replacing the axle on my GT soon. I have a friend who is a Dexter dealer and was leaning in that direction, but after learning of your positive experience, I may consider Axis as an option.

Keep up the good work!
Good thing we do learn as we go along. This is my fourth restoration/renovation. What all of us are doing is not easy nor is it inexpensive.
If I ever do another one I will start with the axle. It is the most important part of getting the thing to do what we want it to do most: TRAVEL!
I have been lucky due to the fact that I have never had a major problem while I was out with my running gear.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #82
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
I just spent a while on the phone with Henry from Axis Products about their axles and what they can provide. I was very impressed with the different options available for finishes on the axles from hand painted waterbased paint all the way to a galvanized finish if thats what you want. There is a multitude of different brake systems available, electric to disk in different materials. I think that they can provide you with anything you might possibly want and seemed very responsive to satisfying any request the customer may have.
I am going to have them give me a quote on a pair of axles for my 31'.
Mike B
Mike,
Keep us Sovereign owners updated on the pricing and options. My axles are not due for replacement...yet, I still have a decent down angle and they seem to move okay. But I am sure down the road I will want to replace them, as well as look at an upgrade for the brakes

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
Old 05-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #83
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
Last Wednesday While Looking At Some Trailers ( Not Airstream )
I Noticed That The Single Axle 20 Foot That I Was Looking Over Did Have Rubber Torsion (sp) Type Of Axle And Didn't Have Any Shocks Just Noticed And Was Thinking.... Hum,,,what Does It Realy Do... On This Type Of Axel ...do We Realy Need It

Well, I think they may be necessary. PM Rick Bell (Tarheel) and ask him about his near disaster due to worn shocks. Really made me sit up and take notice. Though his trailer is much larger and has three axles, I'd think you would still be subject to the same forces that he was, even having just the one axle. If nothing else, it's good insurance.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Well, I think they may be necessary. PM Rick Bell (Tarheel) and ask him about his near disaster due to worn shocks. Really made me sit up and take notice. Though his trailer is much larger and has three axles, I'd think you would still be subject to the same forces that he was, even having just the one axle. If nothing else, it's good insurance.
I figure, if it was made with shocks on it I am putting shocks BACK on it. I am not going to spend my valuable time trying to figure out why Aistream put shocks on a torsion axle, ya know?
I would not run around on one without the shocks. I have been around Airstreams since I was a baby. The first torsion axle I ever saw was on an Airstream. I always thought that is was mandatory for a torsion axle. Imagine my surprise when I found out it is far more common to NOT have the shocks!
Old 05-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
By the way, Dave...
You ROCK!
Old 05-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
As long as this thread has taken a shocking turn, what brand/supplier shocks have you used on your trailer, Lou?
When I did mine, I tried to figure out which myth/truth does Airstream use a special shock designed to function in a near horizontal rather than vertical application? I learned that Gabriel made the shocks for AS and said "Great! NAPA store, here I come!" but they couldn't get that part number. Called Gabriel and I was told that that shock design is only made for AS and is only available through them. So, myth buster....GO for it!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

Old 05-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #87
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you want to look into alternative shock absorbers, start the search with 'steering stabilizers'. When you cut through all the buloney, they are just shock absorbers that operate horizontally. I have a vertical set up, so I don't know what the end fittings and stroke are for a torsion axle, but maybe axleman could help out.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff
As long as this thread has taken a shocking turn, what brand/supplier shocks have you used on your trailer, Lou?
When I did mine, I tried to figure out which myth/truth does Airstream use a special shock designed to function in a near horizontal rather than vertical application? I learned that Gabriel made the shocks for AS and said "Great! NAPA store, here I come!" but they couldn't get that part number. Called Gabriel and I was told that that shock design is only made for AS and is only available through them. So, myth buster....GO for it!
"Shocking turn"..heehee! I love that!
If you look at my pictures in this thread you will see a nice, new, shiny blue shock absorber.
My NAPA guy was able to cross reference my Gabriel number to a 94005 part number for ther NAPA RV Shock Absorber. That is what it is even called in his catalog; RV/Travel Trailer Shock Absorber.
I actually found the number in a post on here. I double checked it with the Gabriel number and everything was cool!
I am not sure if they use a "special" shock, but to me if the replacement works I will darn sure use it.
"Myth busted"!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If you want to look into alternative shock absorbers, start the search with 'steering stabilizers'. When you cut through all the buloney, they are just shock absorbers that operate horizontally. I have a vertical set up, so I don't know what the end fittings and stroke are for a torsion axle, but maybe axleman could help out.
Axleman is learning by the day. Axis Products will sell a lot of torsion axles this year, up about 25% over last year. Lou is the only customer that I have encountered thus far that has requested shock absorbers. None of our other customers use shocks on a torsion axle. When I get back to the shop on Monday I can share the eye-to-eye measurement of the shock attacked to Lou’s unit with all of you.

We have one torsion customer that tests our axles hard on a regular basis at a “Private Manufacturing Test Track”. They tend to build stuff real rugged because a lot of what they manufacture will be sold to rental places, people tend to be harder on something rented than owned. They are one of the best at engineering a solid product. With that said, it is of my opinion that Airstream spent a lot of effort in incorporating and designing shocks into their suspension set up. It is also of my opinion that they are not a requirement but an extra measure taken to assure a smooth ride. Even if they are not on a lot of other units manufactured it seems like a step taken to make Airstream one-step above all others. It has been great to work with Lou and learn about the Airstream suspension system.

As a side note Axis has built spring axles with shock absorbers in the past but Lou’s unit, to my knowledge, is the first torsion axle.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Not sure it is true or not, but I heard that Airstream put shocks on their trailers because a lot of the other high end trailers had shocks. It wasn't necessarly that they were needed, but they helped sell trailers. Again not sure that was really the case or not - but may explain why nobody else uses shocks with torson suspension.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Glad that myth is busted! I was told a year and half ago that a horizontal shock required special valving.
Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

Old 05-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Shocks

A shock is a device used in a dynamic system used to damp oscillations.

In a vehicle it does this function in a broader sense, beside oscillations of the sprung weight in a suspension system it helps to control body roll and pitch.

The rate of damping, be it linear, exponential or a log funtion is important in tuning the suspension system of a vehicle.

Testing is necessary unless you very lucky. I don't know how much testing has been performed by various manufacturers, but I'm sure that they would not use them for years without a purpose.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
A shock is a device used in a dynamic system used to damp oscillations.

In a vehicle it does this function in a broader sense, beside oscillations of the sprung weight in a suspension system it helps to control body roll and pitch.

The rate of damping, be it linear, exponential or a log funtion is important in tuning the suspension system of a vehicle.

Testing is necessary unless you very lucky. I don't know how much testing has been performed by various manufacturers, but I'm sure that they would not use them for years without a purpose.
This happens to fall into my "TMI" category.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff
Glad that myth is busted! I was told a year and half ago that a horizontal shock required special valving.
Larry
The box for my NAPA shocks does have something about "17 valves....yadda, yadda, yadda..." I am assuming that is what they are talking about.
I am sure that Airstream is not the only manufacturer to have used a shock in a semi-horizontal position.
I figure Airstream is a well-built trailer but they are not trailer-building Gods.
Go out and buy the NAPA shock and bust the myth with everyone you meet!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #95
Rivet Master

It'll be home soon!

Henry called me today and said they are mounting it on the trailer as we he was speaking!
Hot dog!
I am looking forward to the pictures that henry said he will send me.
We will all know for sure if we have a good source for replacement axles once I get it home. It is about 200 miles from Axis Products to my driveway. Considering the roads in Michigan at this time of year, this should be a good run for the Axis Products axle.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Today's pictures!

Well, it will be done this afternoon!
Here are some pictures of the progress.
The shock used is the NAPA 94005 RV Shock Absorber. I think once I get it home I might paint the shock black!
I do know that I am gonna POR-15 that nasty frame! It makes my new axle look like it is residing in the "low rent district"!
Enjoy the progress pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle end01.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	11907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost there01.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	11908  

Name:	Shock01.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	11909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost done01.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	11910  

Name:	In place01.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	11911   Click image for larger version

Name:	In place02.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	11912  

Old 05-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #97
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Axle costs

Henschen axles "DO NOT" cost $800.00.

They cost $500.00, plus additional if brakes and hubs and drums are needed.

Comparing prices is great as long as the same apple is priced out.

Some owners don't mind the design hassle, others do. Some don't mind changing the Airstream design, most others do.

Keeping an Airstream, "all Airstream", including their choices of other components, seems to be the desire of most owners.

The "LONG" term results of those changes, are at this point, pure guesses, with no factual evidence.

Andy
Old 05-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Rivet Factory Shock Eye-To-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
When I get back to the shop on Monday I can share the eye-to-eye measurement of the shock attacked to Lou’s unit with all of you.
The shock’s eye-to-eye measurement was at 11.5” on Lou’s unit. That seemed to be the center of travel on the shock that we removed. Thus, we located the new shock at 11.5" also.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #99
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Lou, I got a couple of questions:

1. What size drum is that, it certainly doesn't look like a 12" Dexter drum? I thought maybe it was a 10" drum, but I didn't think those came in a 6 X 5.50" bolt circle.

2. If the shocks come with 17 valves (yada,yada), is that for a case of 24? What about the 7 guys that didn't get a valve? Did you check to see if your shocks had valves?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Henschen axles "DO NOT" cost $800.00.

They cost $500.00, plus additional if brakes and hubs and drums are needed.

Comparing prices is great as long as the same apple is priced out.

Andy
You are right Andy - but I think if you look close at this thread people are stating "complete" meaning axle with brakes, hubs and drums. As well as it was stated at the begining of this thread that the full package was being installed - so I assume all will be comparing apples to apples.

The Jury for us is out at the moment and want to see the results of this venture.

One opinion expressed in this thread is about the use of various shocks - we have decided to stick with the "Airstream" shock rather than the Napa - as in laymans terms they are softer.

We know all about how our rig has just about busted apart not having uptodate running gear.

What ever the system used by Airstream I think people have to remember one thing - they are still on the road 45 years and more later!!! Many of theother trailers without the shocks and torsion axles have busted apart many years ago I would think
Closed Thread